Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
wow they need to fix that! My bad as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353524780.819632.jpg

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Is anyone in Michigan getting 3G on their iPhone? I live in west Michigan and have an iPhone 5 I'd like to use on Tmobile.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Picking up strong 3G signal on 8th, 9th and 10th avenues from around 55th and north, haven't tested how far north though, healthy signal in the 60's and 70's. I do know it fades out around 54th st.
I work in the AT&T building on 33 Thomas street in lower manhattan, getting a strong 3G signal.
Also:NYC chambers street and church st, Thomas street and church.
375 pearl street(old verzion building)
147 street via st nick NYC
96 street broadway NYC
137 broadway NYC
New jersey turnpike @ exit 12
New jersey turnpike @ exit 8 to exit 7
PA turnpike from the bridge to exit 351
Lindenhurst, long island NY
Fresh meadows, queens NY
South flushing, queens NY

Forest hills, queens NY
Norristown PA

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Getting it intermittently at my house now. Sucks because I need to turn off 3G to get a constant signal.. otherwise every once in a while I get No Service as it tries to pick up the 3G haha. Gotta wait for it to be more stable :p

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I've updated the post to include the iPhone 5:).

Also those of you that are using T-Mobile and getting stable signal >90% of the time, Have you used any VOIP apps like Vonage(the one with free calling to USA and Canada)? if so how is it? Can we rely on the $30 T-Mobile 4G Monthly plan that offers 100Minutes, Unlimited Text and 5GB Data?

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I've updated the post to include the iPhone 5:).

Also those of you that are using T-Mobile and getting stable signal >90% of the time, Have you used any VOIP apps like Vonage(the one with free calling to USA and Canada)? if so how is it? Can we rely on the $30 T-Mobile 4G Monthly plan that offers 100Minutes, Unlimited Text and 5GB Data?

Good question.....would like some info on this as well.....

WRXJIM

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Boston
I had decent 3G at Newark Airport yesterday. Was refreshing to actually have some speed. ha ha
Im looking forward to it hitting Boston!

victorbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Not if you do their prepaid 'Monthly 4G' plans.
They're
$50 for 100MB of 4G
$60 for 2GB
$70 for 5GB

All with unlimited talk an text and throttled if you go over your data allowance.

If you want their fully unlimited data plan then you have to sign a 2 year contract on their Value plan.

You also have the $30/month plan with 100mn and 5Gb of 3G speed (I get around 15mb/s with 3G from T-Mobile.)
You can activate it at Walmart or on t-mobile.com only though.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Has anyone been in the Disney World area in FL while getting 3G? Im from Canada and I use T-Mobile while in the US and I will be heading to Disney World for Christmas. Wanted to see if I could get 3G while there.

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I was in D.C. over the weekend and experienced 3G on my iPhone 4s. It was so delightful after using Edge for the past several years. Now I'm anxious for it to roll out to more metro areas... quickly!

Hurry up T-Mobile!!!

jbmoore972

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
St. Pete, FL
you should be in good shape around Orlando. It is expanding quick all throughout the area.

Has anyone been in the Disney World area in FL while getting 3G? Im from Canada and I use T-Mobile while in the US and I will be heading to Disney World for Christmas. Wanted to see if I could get 3G while there.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Quick question, i'm sure it was answered already but my search didnt give me a solid answer. If I bring my unlock iphone to tmo, do I have to sign a 2 year contract?

No contract necessary... T-mobile offers both unlimited data and soft-cap data plans on their month-to-month plans (someone mentioned that you can do this on their prepaid plans but they have a no-contract postpaid option as well). As far as I can tell, they're the only major carrier that offers lower postpaid rates for bringing your own phone.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
No contract necessary... T-mobile offers both unlimited data and soft-cap data plans on their month-to-month plans (someone mentioned that you can do this on their prepaid plans but they have a no-contract postpaid option as well). As far as I can tell, they're the only major carrier that offers lower postpaid rates for bringing your own phone.

Be careful, those Value plans that you linked to require a 2-year contract. It only says it at the very bottom of the page in small, legal text.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
chicago suburbs, ip5 factory unlocked, tmo nano sim, and 3g all the time. will post speedtest results later.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
Be careful, those Value plans that you linked to require a 2-year contract. It only says it at the very bottom of the page in small, legal text.

Wow, you're right :eek:. I remember the bring-your-own-device postpaid plans being no-contract at some point in the past, but I guess they changed that at some point. Good catch!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
More and more of the Chicago Western Suburbs are lighting up on 3G.

Actually, EDGE is more or less the one that's on occasion.

What is weird is being able to do data while being on the phone... :eek:

No change to my bill of $6/month T-Mobile Web Plan (unlimited Edge).

I assume my plan will change when I get a T-Mobile iPhone in the Spring... ;)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Wow, you're right :eek:. I remember the bring-your-own-device postpaid plans being no-contract at some point in the past, but I guess they changed that at some point. Good catch!

I believe you have to inquire about it at a T-Mobile store to get that. They also have a Monthly4G option which doesn't require a contract.

EDIT: Looks like they're moving to value plans only (as in bring your own device and have a lower monthly price).

Last edited:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
So if you have an iPhone on the $30 plan with T-Mobile it's now a lock that you'll lose it next year, right?

If so, it's probably on to Straight Talk for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.