Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:24 PM   #151
3rd Rock
Banned

Tried the above suggestion but only worked once with the Terminal command, than back again to the 20 second shutdown. I'll wait until Apple comes up with its own fix, I hope
3rd Rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 PM   #152
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Rock View Post
Tried the above suggestion but only worked once with the Terminal command, than back again to the 20 second shutdown. I'll wait until Apple comes up with its own fix, I hope
I doubt they will - even though asking some people for system logs...there're too many bugs which haven't been corrected recently.

Last edited by Mike MA; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Mike MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:28 AM   #153
nyolc8
macrumors regular

Xagoth posted a workaround that working nicely for me:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=60&tstart=0

(I made this with "sudo pico" in terminal, so permission fixing was not needed after modified the file.)
nyolc8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:23 PM   #154
joec1101
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyolc8 View Post
Xagoth posted a workaround that working nicely for me:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=60&tstart=0

(I made this with "sudo pico" in terminal, so permission fixing was not needed after modified the file.)
Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck with this one. It did work for a few restarts, but then it went right back to the slow shutdown
joec1101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:22 PM   #155
yjchua95
macrumors 68020

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (formerly KL, Malaysia)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
The culprit causing this is appleeventsd
When shutting down, the appleeventsd process refuses to terminate, hence causing a long shutdown.

I tried all steps in this thread, no go
Hopefully Apple will fix up this thing in 10.8.3
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:42 AM   #156
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjchua95 View Post
Hopefully Apple will fix up this thing in 10.8.3
Apple will seed the first beta of 10.8.3 in CW 48. Let's hope they made their homework
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:25 AM   #157
RMSko
macrumors member

nm

Last edited by RMSko; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
RMSko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:39 PM   #158
bushido
macrumors 601

this is mine ... any suggestions? there r so many commands to "fix" this issue posted by now that i dont even know which one i should try

Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:23 PM   #159
Krazy Bill
Banned

You guys are funny.

I really don't understand why you all are so keen on applying the short-lived and potentially dangerous terminal hacks.

Just live with it until 10.8.3. I do believe this one will be fixed as Apple has had some two-way correspondence with a few users about this very thing.
Krazy Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:44 AM   #160
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

I just shut down my system because it was acting up and it took over a minute. I just left before it finished. I have no idea why this is getting so bad. its constantly reindexing drives, "upgrading calendars", etc. What happened to apple making a reliable machine?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:05 AM   #161
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgenyneu View Post
Posted a bugreport on https://bugreport.apple.com. Apple replied immediately asking to attach system report file. It looks like Apple is working hard on this problem. I can also see that they marked my ticked as a duplicate to another ticket.

As it was already noted here, I would suggest everybody who has this problem file a bugreport at Apple. The more data they have the sooner they can fix it.
Opened up an issue back in October and was also asked for system logs, received information today that it was closed as a duplicate too. Seems like they're making progress (and we hopefully see the result in 10.8.3...).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:19 AM   #162
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Opened up an issue back in October and was also asked for system logs, received information today that it was closed as a duplicate too. Seems like they're making progress (and we hopefully see the result in 10.8.3...).
Now that 10.8.3 is in the hands of developers... I'm hoping one of them can risk torture, prison and confiscation of personal property by giving a hint this quirk is indeed fixed.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:51 AM   #163
Atarikid
macrumors regular

FYI:The latest beta 10.8.3 12D32 (released on 26/11) does not fix the slow shutdown issues on my rMBP. Pity..

Reading the seed note, 10.8.3 is mainly focused on graphics driver, game center, airplay, airport and Safari 6.0.2
Atarikid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #164
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarikid View Post
FYI:The latest beta 10.8.3 12D32 (released on 26/11) does not fix the slow shutdown issues on my rMBP. Pity..

Reading the seed note, 10.8.3 is mainly focused on graphics driver, game center, airplay, airport and Safari 6.0.2
Makes total sense. Fix the general "consumer" crap first and then the core functionality if there's time. No surprise.
Krazy Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #165
Atarikid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Makes total sense. Fix the general "consumer" crap first and then the core functionality if there's time. No surprise.
True. But it just the first beta of 10.8.3 so there is still some hope.
Atarikid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:59 PM   #166
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarikid View Post

As Apple never admitted there's a problem around there will never be an official fix or any mention of it.

If you're still facing the problem with 10.8.3 though I like to quote Krazy Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Now that 10.8.3 is in the hands of developers... I'm hoping one of them can risk torture, prison and confiscation of personal property by giving a hint this quirk is indeed fixed.

Last edited by Mike MA; Nov 28, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Mike MA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:19 PM   #167
RMSko
macrumors member

I checked what is causing my delay and found the following:

20004971 com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.securityd 15 Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

20007096 com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.coreservices.appleevents 62 Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

I guess my problems are with "securityd" and "appleevents".
RMSko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:49 PM   #168
pollakalos
macrumors newbie

Final Solution

Guys

I spent a whole day searching. This is why i re-posting this here, hopefully to save other peoples' time....

Originally Posted by GerMo

Thank god! I have finally found the solution to this problem! Seems like there are old Java files floating around the system which you need to delete. I'll teach you how here.

1. Firstly, navigate to "Macintosh HD > Library" in Mac OS X Lion

2. Delete the folder named "Java" (will not cause any harm to your mac, you can easily install it again)

3. Empty Trash

4. Shut down! It should be instant, (as I said before, my late-2010 macbook air took 23 secs to shut down, now, it takes 2 seconds)

5. Boot back up, should be faster too, but shut down is much faster

6. You're done! Once you run anything Java related, Mac OS X Lion will prompt you and ask you to install the Java, press yes and install it. It won't affect your shut down time anymore because this is the brand new version. You need to take this step even if you installed the new version when you first upgraded to Lion.

I hope this helps everybody who are affected by this problem.

Give me a vote if it works!
pollakalos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:25 PM   #169
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollakalos View Post
Guys

I spent a whole day searching. This is why i re-posting this here, hopefully to save other peoples' time....

Thank god! I have finally found the solution to this problem! Seems like there are old Java files floating around the system which you need to delete. I'll teach you how here.

2. Delete the folder named "Java" (will not cause any harm to your mac, you can easily install it again)

3. Empty Trash

4. Shut down! It should be instant, (as I said before, my late-2010 macbook air took 23 secs to shut down, now, it takes 2 seconds)

6. You're done! Once you run anything Java related, Mac OS X Lion will prompt you and ask you to install the Java, press yes and install it. It won't affect your shut down time anymore because this is the brand new version. You need to take this step even if you installed the new version when you first upgraded to Lion.

SUCCESS!

Thanks. I wasn't prompted to reinstall Java as you said, but your fix most definitely worked! Shut down time went down from 25 seconds to 5 seconds, and stayed that way through 2 reboots.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:20 PM   #170
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollakalos View Post
Guys

3. Empty Trash

Sorry, but this does not work in the long run. Tried before (month or so ago when someone else suggested same fix, and failed. Tried it again today with the following results..

1. 20 second shut down prior to doing the suggested fix

2. 3 second shut down with so called fix

3. 9 second shut down afterwards

4. 11 second shut down later

5. 4 second shut down later still

6. 20 second shut down than after, with an occasional 5 second shut down on/off as has been reported weeks/months ago.... This fix suggestion, as shown has been tried months ago from many on this forum and the official Apple support forum. Not a good fix

Last edited by SR45; Dec 30, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
SR45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:45 PM   #171
Risco
macrumors 65816

Beta 12D50 seems to have a significant effect on shutdowns. Just over 6 seconds with the guy in this post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I decided to test this on a 2012 cMBP. SSD

After closing all apps I shut it down. The timer started when I clicked on the pop up menu to shut down.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:34 PM   #172
kvnfo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Beta 12D50 seems to have a significant effect on shutdowns. Just over 6 seconds with the guy in this post!
Nice, how can I get the beta?
kvnfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:44 AM   #173
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Well, it depends on the individual systems.

I would still be very frustrated with a 6 seconds shutdown, as my standard shutdown time is less than a second on the SSD version (and 20 seconds once the problem occurs).

But the more people are reporting improvments, the more I start hoping Apple gets things sorted!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:20 AM   #174
Badagri
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
I would still be very frustrated with a 6 seconds shutdown, as my standard shutdown time is less than a second on the SSD version (and 20 seconds once the problem occurs).

But the more people are reporting improvments, the more I start hoping Apple gets things sorted!
Considering Lion done it in 1 - 2. You more or less clicked shutdown then heard the click.
Badagri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:53 PM   #175
ultraspiracle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon2eric View Post
Wow.. that's a fast Mac w/ SSD.. 30 sec is RE-DONK-U-LUS!!
Not for an SSD machine it's not! With 10.8.1 would get 20 second restarts (from useable to cold shutdown, back to useable). 10.8.2 prolonged it to like two minutes (not why I spent 3K on SSD etc). Now that I'm back to Lion (10.7.5), it's 24" restart. Believe me- restart times are crazy fast with SSD and Retina machines. Spoils you really fast and makes you take notice when something is wrong! That's why no 10.8 for me until they fix it, but from what I understand apple is hard at work on it with either 10.8.3 or 10.8.4.

ultraspiracle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion