Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:50 PM   #26
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Now that made me laugh. The laughing smileys don't work though..

----------

But when they come out with quad core it will be perfect, just like a 3.5" screen is perfect and just like a 4" screen is perfect...........wait, how can that be?
I want you guys to, try, and I mean TRY, to say something besides this platitude of a comment. You're like a broken record. Convince me why quad-core is innovative and vastly superior to dual-core. Read this first:

http://m.cnet.com/news/7-myths-about-quad-core-phones-smartphones-unlocked/57410518?ds=1
zbarvian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:55 PM   #27
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I want you guys to, try, and I mean TRY, to say something besides this platitude of a comment. You're like a broken record. Convince me why quad-core is innovative and vastly superior to dual-core. Read this first:

http://m.cnet.com/news/7-myths-about.../57410518?ds=1
I won't read your links, you talk about innovation and then when a company innovates you cant recognise it. Do you think that all the companies should stick where they are now? You really are like a broken record, all you do is regurgitate others views. You have an iPhone 5, congratulations, superb device, in fact it's the best in the world ever, happy now?
daveathall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:03 PM   #28
cynics
macrumors 603

It's a SOC with two quad cores at two different clock speeds, one designed for apps that need high performance and the other to conserve battery.

A lot of you guys should actually read the OP.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:12 PM   #29
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
If you're referring to my comment, it was about Apple now making their own chips, not the chip itself. 8 cores? If our laptops don't use 8 cores, I can't see why our smartphones should.
Doesn't ARM make their chips?

Isn't Samsung making their own chip here? I don't get how your parcel out the difference to say one is innovating with their chip, and the other isn't.

You seem to be saying that because Apple never really developed their own chip before, but are now, that's innovation. I have to ask again, are you changing the definition of what innovation means for Apple's sake? Aren't chip manufacturers in general innovators too then because they are and have already been producing their own chips? Shouldn't that make the chip-maker-Samsung the innovator, while Apple is copying them?

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic; just trying to understand. No matter how I approach it, it looks to me like you're not playing a fair game. Remember, I'm not disagreeing with you, per se. Just trying to get some clarification and consistency. If you want to give Apple the title of innovator for these things, you have to give them to others too for doing the same thing. If you don't want to give it to others, you can't give it to Apple either.

At least that's how it should work.
onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:19 PM   #30
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:

http://m.cnet.com/news/7-myths-about.../57410518?ds=1
Great article from 8 months ago. Do you ever form your own opinions or do you only repeat what others say?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:28 PM   #31
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

Is anything but a single core necessary? No. But if it adds to the phone, then why not throw it in?
kiltedthrower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:31 PM   #32
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post

Isn't Samsung making their own chip here? I don't get how your parcel out the difference to say one is innovating with their chip, and the other isn't.

You seem to be saying that because Apple never really developed their own chip before, but are now, that's innovation. I have to ask again, are you changing the definition of what innovation means for Apple's sake? Aren't chip manufacturers in general innovators too then because they are and have already been producing their own chips? Shouldn't that make the chip-maker-Samsung the innovator, while Apple is copying them?

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic; just trying to understand. No matter how I approach it, it looks to me like you're not playing a fair game. Remember, I'm not disagreeing with you, per se. Just trying to get some clarification and consistency. If you want to give Apple the title of innovator for these things, you have to give them to others too for doing the same thing. If you don't want to give it to others, you can't give it to Apple either.

At least that's how it should work.
This is why innovation is so tricky. Samsung certainly innovates with chips, Apple innovates with chips by making custom designs. ARM innovates (they only make designs, not chips). Jesus, everybody does. What's your definition of innovation?
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:34 PM   #33
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

I told my wife paparika is not necessary for deviled eggs. She put it in anyway. It didnt take away from the goodness.
kiltedthrower is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:41 PM   #34
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

Im saying that while things might not be necessary, they're not a bad thing.

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 21, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
kiltedthrower is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:43 PM   #35
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedthrower View Post
I told my wife paparika is not necessary for deviled eggs. She put it in anyway. It didnt take away from the goodness.
A) I got it.
B) paprika on deviled eggs is yummy but even better on hummus!
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:54 PM   #36
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedthrower View Post
Im saying that while things might not be necessary, they're not a bad thing.
Does that justify them?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:02 PM   #37
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Does that justify them?
Advancement in technology? Yes.

Was a "retina" display necessary? No, but it brought on advancement in smartphone screen technology.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:08 PM   #38
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Advancement in technology? Yes.

Was a "retina" display necessary? No, but it brought on advancement in smartphone screen technology.
Is going from 900 ppi to 1000 ppi advancement? If it's totally invisible to any user?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:23 PM   #39
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Is going from 900 ppi to 1000 ppi advancement? If it's totally invisible to any user?
Yes, it is.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:28 PM   #40
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Yes, it is.
How is it an advancement?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:33 PM   #41
kiltedthrower
macrumors regular

Quote:
Does that justify them?
Justify? If that's the case, let's just go back to using motorazors and early style Blackberrys. Most of the luxuries on smartphones aren't necessary. They're nice and make our lives easier sometimes but not necessary.

Was it necessary for the iPhone to add a dual core and bigger screen? If not, then was it justified. This argument reminds me of BlackBerry users looking at the games available on iPhone and saying BB didn't need to do that or have that because it wasn't necessary.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
A) I got it.
B) paprika on deviled eggs is yummy but even better on hummus!
That's because you're a smart girl. And I totally agree with you
kiltedthrower is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #42
cynics
macrumors 603

There is only so much you can do with a single core of a CPU, slight differences in its design and raising its clock speed before even the material it's made of can't handle the abuse from temperatures. There are materials out there that can handle it but its so difficult to work with and expensive using more cores makes more sense.

Enter multiple cores to spread the load (heat) across themselves.

Software optimization can be done on even an OS level for many task and we are still a long way off from seeing that. We are also a long way off from seeing this 8 core SoC (dual quad core) in a mobile device.

You will see Apple doing this eventually in their mobile devices you just won't here about it until it happens. Samsung unveiling a new processor at some sort of processor conference shouldn't be taken as a "take that Apple", its something that's big business for Samsung and something the specialize in.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:56 PM   #43
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbaldy View Post
CPU cores are the new megapixels
Def. Would give this a thumbs up, but the mobile version for iPhone doesn't have this so..
GrandPhrase is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:59 PM   #44
Akash.B
macrumors regular

Quote:
This is why innovation is so tricky. Samsung certainly innovates with chips, Apple innovates with chips by making custom designs. ARM innovates (they only make designs, not chips). Jesus, everybody does. What's your definition of innovation?
I agree with this statement. People attack like vultures for any new feature on iOS or Android products. I think it's great that Samsung is creating a 8 core CPU. I think it's great that HTC have created a 1080P phone display. I think it's awesome that Apple is able to pull strong performance from a dual core CPU. I think Nokia have created one of the best cameras with their pureview technology.

Why does it matter which company is pushing the envelope when ultimately all of us will benefit from it?
Akash.B is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #45
Ericcc
macrumors member

I don't get what the fuss is about. Samsung makes chips and if it doesn't research SOCs with more cores, someone else will. Devices that could use more processing power, with larger batteries -say Windows RT hybrids- can really benefit from this.
Ericcc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:05 PM   #46
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.B View Post
I agree with this statement. People attack like vultures for any new feature on iOS or Android products. I think it's great that Samsung is creating a 8 core CPU. I think it's great that HTC have created a 1080P phone display. I think it's awesome that Apple is able to pull strong performance from a dual core CPU. I think Nokia have created one of the best cameras with their pureview technology.

Why does it matter which company is pushing the envelope when ultimately all of us will benefit from it?
I completely agree with this. We should appreciate the technology no matter which company it comes from.
dalbir4444 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:36 PM   #47
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I find that the apps I use only Nexus 4 are as good as the ones I used on my iPhone.

Tapatalk
Photobucket
Sonos controler
1Password Pro (Now I have worked out how to use it)
Kindle
Flipboard
Amazon

The tapatalk app is really better (IMHO) than on iOS as it has widgets that one can use for different accounts.
I never understood why anybody needed Tapatalk. Maybe you can explain to me what it does so well that im not aware of because when i get a reply to a thread i subscribe in without Tataptalk i get an email to the response and if i want to respond or read more posts, i just click the link.

It has been a while since ive used it so maybe it is better but i wasnt real impressed with it.

As for an 8 core chip. Eh....lets see the advantage of that before i care.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 PM   #48
Timzer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.B View Post

Well personally, I want to know who's innovating and who's not. That way I know who to support with my purchase. Samsung just happens to be the only OEM that does it all in house. CPU, RAM, and display. And now they've grasped the software side of things and offered a lot of very innovative features like smart stay, pop up play, S-Beam, custom vibrations (very cool), locking video, smart alerts, direct call (I use it all the time), etc.. Samsung by far is the biggest innovator in the game right now. Touchwiz has come a very long way in only 3 short years. It is by far the best launcher that I think truly improves on stock Android. That's why money will keep going to them. Until someone comes along and out does them, I won't be moving anytime soon. Stock Android will always have it's fans, and that great. But I cannot wait to see what the GS4 brings.
I upgrade every 2 years, but if the GS4 comes out with some serious WOWness, I'll bite.
Timzer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:26 AM   #49
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
but even better on hummus!
Pffft, I wouldn't eat hummus that didn't have it on it.

----------

Quote:
Finally! Someone who gets it.

It really irritates me how people always comment about Apple designing/making their own chips. They do nothing of the sort.

ARM designs the CPU's, and another third party designs the GPU. All Apple do is design the integrated board these two chips go on. Then Samsung makes it for them.

Everyone else is going the heavy lifting.

"On the shoulders of giants".
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:54 AM   #50
hyteckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
Finally! Someone who gets it.

It really irritates me how people always comment about Apple designing/making their own chips. They do nothing of the sort.

ARM designs the CPU's, and another third party designs the GPU. All Apple do is design the integrated board these two chips go on. Then Samsung makes it for them.

Everyone else is going the heavy lifting.

"On the shoulders of giants".

That's like saying Apple doesn't design and make iphones, ipods, and Macs because it uses RAM, hard drives, and LCDs made by other companies.

Apple does design and make their own chips based on the ARM architecture.

Google on the other hand doesn't make or design any of the Android phones. They just have other companies make it for them.

----------

Quote:
No. ARM doesn't make their chips.

ARM designs their chips and other companies like Apple license their design to make their own ARM based chips.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices