Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Herms2011
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Why is My MacBook so slow? Specs included.

I have a 15 inch MacBook from Mid-Late 2010. I was wondering why my MacBook runs as slow as it does for the specs that it has, I do a lot of video editing (I have 3 different video editing programs, 3 different versions of Final Cut) I bought the upper level one so that it would run faster but it seems really slow. I understand this isn't very helpful but I was wondering if anybody knew of any RELIABLE ways to make your Mac faster, many thanks!


Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Herms2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon
What are you usually doing when you feel that it's slow?

Of the top of my head, I'd say you could upgrade your RAM and install a SSD. That sure helped speed up my mid 2009 MBP.
T5BRICK is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Herms2011
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
It's just normal day to day things. Opening finder, switching applications, etc. How do I update my RAM, is it fairly simple?
Herms2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Irock619
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms2011 View Post
I understand this isn't very helpful but I was wondering if anybody knew of any RELIABLE ways to make your Mac faster, many thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5BRICK View Post
What are you usually doing when you feel that it's slow?

Of the top of my head, I'd say you could upgrade your RAM and install a SSD. That sure helped speed up my mid 2009 MBP.
This ^ .....The best upgrade you can do.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Mountain Lion) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC01244.jpg
Irock619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:43 AM   #5
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms2011 View Post
I have a 15 inch MacBook from Mid-Late 2010. I was wondering why my MacBook runs as slow as it does for the specs that it has, I do a lot of video editing (I have 3 different video editing programs, 3 different versions of Final Cut) I bought the upper level one so that it would run faster but it seems really slow. I understand this isn't very helpful but I was wondering if anybody knew of any RELIABLE ways to make your Mac faster, many thanks!


Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
I would put the full 8GB that your machine will take in. 4GB is nothing for video editing. At least from my research it looks like it'll only take 8. 16+ is ideal, though. Just google how to install RAM. All you need is a screwdriver.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:52 AM   #6
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms2011 View Post
How do I update my RAM, is it fairly simple?
How to upgrade your RAM:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...010+RAM/3032/1

You'll need a small 00 sized screwdriver to take the bottom case off. I bought a 8 in 1 set from Home depot for $5 several years back. It's $6 now.

How to upgrade your HDD:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+...acement/3030/1

In addition to the screwdriver above, you'll also need a torx driver. I also bought an 8 in 1 set from Home Depot for this, it was $5 when I bought it, it's $6 now.

When shopping around for RAM, I'd suggest looking at Corsair, Crucial and g.skill. You don't have to buy "Mac" RAM, it's all basically the same stuff. Just match the specs of what you're buying with what you've already got(except for the capacity, of course), and read the reviews. Other Mac users will have posted their experiences. Here is what I put in my 13" mid 2009 MBP, haven't had a single problem.
T5BRICK is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Herms2011
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Thank You all SO much! Stupid question, do you purchase more RAM, I just don't know how that works. Reputable place to buy it?
Herms2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:59 AM   #8
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms2011 View Post
Thank You all SO much! Stupid question, do you purchase more RAM, I just don't know how that works. Reputable place to buy it?
I've bought RAM at newegg, Amazon and Fry's and probably a handful of other places I'm not remembering right now. Just read through the reviews of the RAM you're looking at before you buy to make sure it's going to work in your computer.
T5BRICK is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:02 AM   #9
CocoSS
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Check if there are jobs that are running in background.
Maybe your MB is indexing files.

Check activity monitor to see what is using RAM/CPU.
CocoSS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:10 AM   #10
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
How much hard drive space do you have, and how full is it?

If you have very little free space, the OS will not be able to store files contiguously and they will get fragmented. Also, the second "half" of the disk is slower than the first half - the disk gets slower as you move from the fast outside tracks at the start to the slower tracks toward the middle.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:10 AM   #11
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY.
How much free space do you have on your HD?
__________________
15" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD ; 16GB iPad2.
ChrisMan287 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC