Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
I will hopefully be getting a base Mac mini soon and with all the problems associated with the random black screens, do you think I should hold out until Apple possibly issue a fix/recall for the mini?

Also, another question, is anyone experiencing the same problem through the VGA port on your monitor, assuming people still use that port (i.e. using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter)?

Thanks in advance

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I'm returning my 2012 Mini 2.6 this weekend, and wait till Apple sorts things out. In the meantime, I bought a used 2011 2.5 with Radeon 6630M, and will use that till Apple gets their $h1t together.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
I'm returning my 2012 Mini 2.6 this weekend, and wait till Apple sorts things out. In the meantime, I bought a used 2011 2.5 with Radeon 6630M, and will use that till Apple gets their $h1t together.

Thanks for the advice, I will wait until they can sort it out. Might look on the Apple website for a refurbished early 2012 mini...

iDunnOSX

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
agreed

Do NOT buy the 2012 Mini. The only thing that will make Apple fix it is losing money.

I am returning my late 2012 Mac Mini tomorrow. No problems for me for about the first five days of ownership, and then on the fifth day I experienced my first screen blackout, then another that same day. On the seventh and eighth days, another blackout each. But still no huge deal, because this barely qualified as an inconvenience, even though it was somewhat worrisome to me that a brand new, expensive computer should be acting up like this.

Yesterday, I had my first snowy screen outage right after a blackout, and then another...had one while trying to log in here to post, in fact. Required force quitting the computer because it was of course completely unresponsive at that point.

I have had my fill of this crap.

My advice? Skip the 2012 altogether unless Apple comes clean on the fraud they seem to be trying to put over on us. This stuff they're selling is not fit for consumption, in my opinion.

USB123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Ireland
I am returning my late 2012 Mac Mini tomorrow. No problems for me for about the first five days of ownership, and then on the fifth day I experienced my first screen blackout, then another that same day. On the seventh and eighth days, another blackout each. But still no huge deal, because this barely qualified as an inconvenience, even though it was somewhat worrisome to me that a brand new, expensive computer should be acting up like this.

Yesterday, I had my first snowy screen outage right after a blackout, and then another...had one while trying to log in here to post, in fact. Required force quitting the computer because it was of course completely unresponsive at that point.

I have had my fill of this crap.

My advice? Skip the 2012 altogether unless Apple comes clean on the fraud they seem to be trying to put over on us. This stuff they're selling is not fit for consumption, in my opinion.

That's terrible, very sorry to hear that. Hope you can get some sort of resolution to it. Has Apple's quality control standards really fallen short or what?
Might be able to save up a little more to see if i could get a refurbed MPB. I'll have to hold onto my dinosaur-Dell a little longer! ;)

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
so far I've not had any issue with mine, I connect my 2012 to Dell u2312 panel using thunderbolt to DVI connection and everything works just fine.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I will hopefully be getting a base Mac mini soon and with all the problems associated with the random black screens, do you think I should hold out until Apple possibly issue a fix/recall for the mini?

Also, another question, is anyone experiencing the same problem through the VGA port on your monitor, assuming people still use that port (i.e. using the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter)?

Thanks in advance

I think it might be luck of the draw. My first Mac mini had the black screen issue, I exchanged it and my new one is great except for the constant pinwheel with Firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.