Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
OH YEAH!

I can't wait for this giant infested pile of crapware to land on OS X! It's just what I've been waiting for! Now I can spend hours troubleshooting Origin and chasing around all the background processes it'll inevitably spawn instead of playing my "ported"/emulated Cider games!

Go EA go!

I just hope it's written at least twice as well as that crappy OS X Steam port

They can't even port games to OS X natively. What makes you think Origin would be any different? I'm willing to bet that Origin for OS X will make Steam look like a well written and designed piece of software.

-SC

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Origin is an abysmal piece of trash even on Windows.

The only reason I have it around is to play Battlefield 3...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I hated Steam games on the Windows platform, and wouldn't install it on any of My Macs either. I dislike the concept, and prefer to own my games, buying either from the MAS or reputable downloads from the software developers.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
EA has announced in this video that they're bringin their Steam-like game distribution software store to OS X and other devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XjN7T81hs&om_u=2373839459&om_i=_BQquL2B8vO82WW

I just hope it's written at least twice as well as that crappy OS X Steam port :rolleyes:

Two times zero still equals zero . . .

----------

No thanks, EA is kind of a joke in the gaming world.

Yeah, funny like this one:

A horse walks into a bar to get to the other side.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Does any one know when they are planning on actually releasing it? Even more importantly, does anyone know what "new" games could come to the mac with it (the only advantage I see right now)?

psharp

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
So does this mean that the only means to obtain Sim City 5 will be their origin store?

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
OH YEAH!

I can't wait for this giant infested pile of crapware to land on OS X! It's just what I've been waiting for! Now I can spend hours troubleshooting Origin and chasing around all the background processes it'll inevitably spawn instead of playing my "ported"/emulated Cider games!

Go EA go!

They can't even port games to OS X natively. What makes you think Origin would be any different? I'm willing to bet that Origin for OS X will make Steam look like a well written and designed piece of software.

-SC

I have Origin installed, and it's not bad at all, sometimes it spikes CPU usage but just a simple restart takes care of that. Secondly, WHO can't even port games to OS X natively? All of Valve's Steam titles are native OS X ports, I don't know what the heck you're talking about..

I'd still prefer the Mac App Store over Steam or Origin anyday though.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Urgh, Origin.

I hated Steam games on the Windows platform, and wouldn't install it on any of My Macs either. I dislike the concept, and prefer to own my games, buying either from the MAS or reputable downloads from the software developers.
Truth is you don't own any software. You buy it on Steam, you bought a license to play it on Steam. You bought the disc, you bought a license to install it from the disc and play it.

Even DRM-free games (which Steam has btw, this includes my games on there) aren't "yours". You get a license to run it even with DRM free.

Open Source is what you want. Even then you have to abide by some rules.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
So does this mean that the only means to obtain Sim City 5 will be their origin store?

Online. But even if you buy it via retail, you will be prompted to activate the game on Origin and you'll be required to play it through Origin.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Urgh, Origin.

Truth is you don't own any software. You buy it on Steam, you bought a license to play it on Steam. You bought the disc, you bought a license to install it from the disc and play it.

Even DRM-free games (which Steam has btw, this includes my games on there) aren't "yours". You get a license to run it even with DRM free.

Open Source is what you want. Even then you have to abide by some rules.

Good source of DRM free games: http://www.gog.com

Too bad not all digital software distribution is like that. The Witcher games are amazing and they just have a 5 indie games for 10$ sale:

http://www.gog.com/pick_5_pay_10

Places like this deserve support! :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Places like this deserve support! :)

Oh they do. But non-intrusive DRM doesn't bother me. I understand it needs to be there, that deals can hang on the inclusion of it etc. I wouldn't pay more for DRM free, but I do only buy my games on Steam.

GoG are a great bunch though!

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I have Origin installed, and it's not bad at all, sometimes it spikes CPU usage but just a simple restart takes care of that. Secondly, WHO can't even port games to OS X natively? All of Valve's Steam titles are native OS X ports, I don't know what the heck you're talking about..

I'd still prefer the Mac App Store over Steam or Origin anyday though.

EA's games aren't native. They use Transgaming Cider (and therefore WINE), and keep saying that they're native- but they're not. If the games were native they'd be running via OpenGL and not through a Direct X -> OpenGL interpreter.

My point was that if EA can't even get their act together and release *actual* native OS X games (I'm confused as to why anyone thinks SimCity is going to be native) without the ******** emulation layer in-between, why on earth would they be able to write proper software for OS X?

VALVe is one of the few companies who has actually bothered to port stuff to OS X. I put up with Steam because playing Portal 2 natively was more convenient then dealing with Bootcamp. In that regard, I respect VALVe more then I do EA because they actually put the effort into building a proper OpenGL backend for the Source engine and compiling against OS X.

-SC

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
You can say anything you want about how valve have done their osx porting, but it is fast and stable.

There are not many gaming companies that takes mac seriously, so valve is actually the best of the bunch, although not perfect.

Tucom

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
You can say anything you want about how valve have done their osx porting, but it is fast and stable.

There are not many gaming companies that takes mac seriously, so valve is actually the best of the bunch, although not perfect.

That may be true for most of their titles, but Team Fortress 2 runs like crap on OSX compared to Windows. Now Portal 2 for example seems to run as well on OS X as it does on Windows (with my own very uncontrolled, presuming testing)

And Steam isn't nearly as well coded for OS X as it is for Windows, hopefully one day that will change.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

I agree, Valve games are the best ported OS X games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.