Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Is there a reason why this would happen? I almost want to upgrade to iOS 6, but I love the functionality.
It will only add videos I've purchased, like music videos that came with a terrible Kid cudi cd.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Plug it into iTunes, hit the Apps tab, scroll down to import videos to whicher player you have on your iPad 3

I don't want to do that b/c when I connect to iTunes, for some reason it tries to delete Cydia.

Typically, I know how to add videos. I have an iPhone. This behavior is irregular.:confused:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How do you normally add videos? I use AVPlayerHD.

Unfortunately, as has also been explained in several of my articles here at the iPad / iPhone forums, you can't use third-party players to play back protected (DRM'ed) content - practically everything (except music videos) you buy from the iTunes Store.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Is there a reason why this would happen? I almost want to upgrade to iOS 6, but I love the functionality.
It will only add videos I've purchased, like music videos that came with a terrible Kid cudi cd.

I've never seen it trying to uninstall Cydia - I have almost all iDevice models (I'm also teaching iOS programming so I need that many models), the majority of them jailbroken and regularly synched (videos too).

I've purchased several iTunes Store movies but never had any problems you explained above.

A solution is, as long as you only want to watch music videos (which aren't copy protected and consequently, as has just been explained, can be played back in third party players), giving a try to a third-party player.

Should you want to stick with DRM'ed videos, circumstancing the entire synching is certainly possible on JB'n devices. Give a try to just copying the DRM'ed M4V files to your device by simple file copying anywhere. Fire up iFile, navigate to the file, tap it and select "Video Player". They will be played back - even DRM'ed ones.

Note that

- the latest version of iExplorer 3.x and the Mac version of iFunbox can't copy videos to the device

- SynchPod (which used to be a VERY good app for multimedia transfer in both directions) doesn't seem to work with the ML + iOS 5.1.1 combo.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't want to do that b/c when I connect to iTunes, for some reason it tries to delete Cydia.

Typically, I know how to add videos. I have an iPhone. This behavior is irregular.:confused:

Weird stuff TS, but iTunes trying to delete Cydia is impossible.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Unfortunately, as has also been explained in several of my articles here at the iPad / iPhone forums, you can't use third-party players to play back protected (DRM'ed) content - practically everything (except music videos) you buy from the iTunes Store.

AVplayerHD plays any file no matter what protection is on there.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
AVplayerHD plays any file no matter what protection is on there.

Nope, it doesn't. Try transferring a DRM'ed video to AVPlayerHD's Documents. It will not play it. (Just tested it with the latest version on my iPad 3 5.1.1, trying to play back Men in Black 1080p HD I've purchased from the US iTunes Store.)

----------

Weird stuff TS, but iTunes trying to delete Cydia is impossible.

Exactly. It may delete synched videos but definitely not anything else (apps, let alone Cydia).

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Nope, it doesn't. Try transferring a DRM'ed video to AVPlayerHD's Documents. It will not play it. (Just tested it with the latest version on my iPad 3 5.1.1, trying to play back Men in Black 1080p HD I've purchased from the US iTunes Store.)

if you purchased it through itunes, there is no need to play it through AVPlayerHD. I'm talking about non-itunes copyrighted formats.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
if you purchased it through itunes, there is no need to play it through AVPlayerHD. I'm talking about non-itunes copyrighted formats.

The OP has complaiend about not being able to synchronize videos from the desktop iTunes to the stock Videos app. Therefore, any ways of playing Apple DRM'ed videos is impossible unless

- he manually transfers the file and uses iFile as I've explained above

- he removes DRM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.