Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Wow, it's actually pretty decent. At least here in Vancouver, Canada.

You guys are missing the biggest feature of all: it works offline without any data connection. Neither Apple or Google offers this. So now I can travel outside of my service zone and not pay a hundred dollars for 3G bills.

also from vancity here. what do you use for transit?? I miss the google maps directions that can incorporate transit. found any subsitutes??

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
One of the main reason I use maps is for traffic info. Apple's is useless. Google web apps is too slow. This thing is fast! Even just zooming in and out of regular map view is super fast, like its loaded from cache. Traffic data is using Google's traffic style, which is what I needed from Apple. Just have to see how accurate the traffic data is. Interface is sleek and European. The mono-colored streets is easy to read. I love it!

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
While Nokia's HERE app is quite ugly and a lot are lambasting it for this reason, if Apple had put out this app out we would have heard all sorts of excuses for it; "it's just the first version", "give them time", etc.

Nokia have been doing maps longer than Google so it should be pretty floor less data by now.:confused:

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Damn u Nokia, and i was all happy U coming abroad my iphon4s iOS 6 :D

But Nooooo, you gave me sth that makes my iphone4s look like a samsung galaxy S1 UI:mad:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok... but TomTom already has these features.

I remember using OviMaps, and its crashed like hell... Difficult to use, and was bloated.

Hope Nokia's cleaned up their act.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
More maps options, downloading now, hope offline maps works well.

Edit: Offline eats a lot of data for the map to download, >5 MB for a 500 Meter2 and if you want a new map the old one will be deleted.

I used Nokia Maps a lot in my N8 which I given to my father. It allowed me downloading in packages of large areas (like the whole Uruguay or three states of Brazil comprehending an area of something around 800km^2).

Maybe the iOS Nokia Maps is just a wrapper of the web app, so it's potentially useless. The Symbian one was excellent.

----------

This app is poor in quality. Lacking a lot of information, most POIs are wrong, the interface is ugly. It makes Apple maps seem like the epitome of mapping solutions.

Hey, what you'd expect since the time Tim Cook requested an iOS map application from Nokia? How much time has passed since iPhone5 and Apple Maps were launched? Three months? Maybe in a year iOS Nokia Maps will look better than the Symbian's one. Then it will be a big competitor.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I can't really comment on this app, but my experience with Nokia maps is quite great. At least for my usage.

- The most important in maps for me is that the roads are there (up to date, even the small ones). So I know where I'm going and I'll find my destination. In other words Navigation. In this, I have had 100% success with Nokia maps in real life usage. And Lumia/Symbian offers the best solution for this (at least outside US). Sorry Japanese users, for some reason Nokia maps is lacking there. Use something else, simple.

* EDIT: my real life usage scenario covers around europe travelling with a car + some parts in Asia. Not in USA or all the possible corners in the world. :)

I had a good experience in Brazil and Uruguay with the Symbian's one. To me, the main use for a mobile map app is for navigation too. If I need streetview I just use the desktop app. When mobile, I can't even assure that I'll be able to supply all the bandwidth which a streetview app requires. The offline map downloading is way better than Google's since I can download a whole-country map.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Nokia have been doing maps longer than Google so it should be pretty floor less data by now.:confused:

The data on HERE is fine. I have no problem with that and I don't think anyone on here feels too much different. It's the UI that is horrible. In 2007, Apple owned zero data and still put out a great looking Maps app. Nokia should at least know how to put a decent app or pay someone who knows how. But, then again, I believe this is their first app for iOS.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It was a MISTAKE for Apple to not come to terms with Google on continuing to use Google's map data for the iOS 6 (and beyond).

The longer Google takes on releasing an app, the less of a mistake it will be. From many of the post I'm reading, people are getting used to the Apple maps and most in the US do not have major issues with the map app. The exception would be overseas (especially the UK) where there are lots of problems in the mapping database. Unless Goggle matches Apple's app on turn by turn and other features, I can't see everyone switching back to Google maps. Especially when Apple cleans up it's mapping database.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Tried it out, Apple Maps is still better IMO. I live in the bay area and its always been accurate for me.

aquadevil2002

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Using apple maps and just loving it!

I have been using apple maps and I love it. I do not use public transport so I am not bothered by the lack of public transport info but otherwise it is as good as it gets. The UI is the best and even fAndriods will agree with me on that. The Whiners will whine no matter what and if you live in a remote English town, too bad!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Nokia's maps are shocking!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353453317.541323.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353453329.888237.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353453340.938098.jpg

There's Nokia's maps, apple's maps and googles all for the same place.

Nokia's maps doesn't give me public transport for a journey I do once a month, google's wants me to catch a made up bus for part of the journey, Apple's maps ties into an app called Transit which is up to date and accurate. I know which I prefer.....

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This is just a wrapper over a web app. It's slow and text isn't very easy to read.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple Maps. But if someone is going to come out with an actual good mapping solution, it's Google.

by the time that happens Apple maps will be fine for most of the users.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
This is great for Apple. This makes Apple Maps look incredible. There is a MUCH bigger gap between this and Apple Maps than between Apple Maps and Google Maps.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Nokia's maps are shocking!!!

View attachment 378669 View attachment 378670 View attachment 378671

There's Nokia's maps, apple's maps and googles all for the same place.

Nokia's maps doesn't give me public transport for a journey I do once a month, google's wants me to catch a made up bus for part of the journey, Apple's maps ties into an app called Transit which is up to date and accurate. I know which I prefer.....

Well, Nokia Maps historically was good for driving, giving directions and by allowing offline map downloading. If you need anything else, use Apple or Google Maps. Easy.

----------

This is great for Apple. This makes Apple Maps look incredible. There is a MUCH bigger gap between this and Apple Maps than between Apple Maps and Google Maps.

Did you actually try to use Nokia Maps?

I think Here Maps should be called Nokia-Drive-No-Streetview-No-Sattelite-Images. So maybe iOS users would use Nokia Maps for what it's good for.

----------

Tried it out, Apple Maps is still better IMO. I live in the bay area and its always been accurate for me.

What does bay area mean? The world is bigger than bay area and, principally, the USA.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Definitely not good. It is blurry as others pointed out. The POI's in this one are no better than the ones in Apple's maps for my area - they are in wrong locations as well. The traffic did look ok.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I wish Google would just hurry up and release their own app. I don't plan on downloading it, but it will certainly silence a lot of the whining.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Disappointing app, with very low res satellite imagery round here, and although it may serve the basic purpose of showing a street map, it doesn't exactly shine with quality. No better really than Apple's Maps, except it seems to have towns generally in the right place, which is always useful. I was expecting much better than this, as the consensus always seemed to be that Nokia maps were good. I'm still waiting for Google to do it right.

fortunecookie

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2010
What's good about this Nokia made app is that it adds a bit of pressure to Apple and Google to come out with a better alternative.

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
What's good about this Nokia made app is that it adds a bit of pressure to Apple and Google to come out with a better alternative.

What? How does releasing a terrible product convince anybody to improve theirs? I could have my son draw up a map of the world in crayon, make an app out of it and tag it with "Hey, at least it's not Nokia!"

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
The data on HERE is fine. I have no problem with that and I don't think anyone on here feels too much different. It's the UI that is horrible. In 2007, Apple owned zero data and still put out a great looking Maps app. Nokia should at least know how to put a decent app or pay someone who knows how. But, then again, I believe this is their first app for iOS.

Seen more than a few comments suggesting inaccuracies or lack of data for certain areas. Haven't seen any problems myself but some seem to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.