Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

litokhmaikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Is there an app that can tell me how long I have been running my mac on its battery? Like on the iPhone in the usage settings, where it tells you how long you have been using your computer since it was last charged fully?

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Well since your MacBook Air wont run for 24+ hours like an iPhone could, but probably 7 hours maximum, cant you tell for how long you have been running on battery. As in you unplugged when you left the house at 10:30am and it died at 5pm? Something like that. ?

Probably does exist, but whats the point.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
istat menus 3 by Bjango It displays system vitals on the taskbar. It does many other things in addition to telling you how long you have been running your mac on battery. I use it to monitor disk activity, network activity, cpu usage, enhanced calendar etc. To measure the actual running time, you have to restart your Mac, or at least logout and login again to reset the istat's counter. When you click on the CPU icon, it tells you your actual running time as well as the total uptime. That way you can see not only the actual running time, but calculate your sleep time as well.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
I too had this problem when trying to find out how to accurately time my battery. Most people seem to compare the estimated times on their mac but this obviously varies greatly between users. I think there is a paid app on the app store that does this but I wanted a free solution so I stumbled upon this app http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22649/minibatterylogger which does exactly what we want and more.

litokhmaikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Well since your MacBook Air wont run for 24+ hours like an iPhone could, but probably 7 hours maximum, cant you tell for how long you have been running on battery. As in you unplugged when you left the house at 10:30am and it died at 5pm? Something like that. ?

Probably does exist, but whats the point.

That's true but I use my Macbook for college and so I am repeatedly alternating between putting it in sleep mode and using it. That makes it really difficult to figure out how long the battery actually powered the computer.

I too had this problem when trying to find out how to accurately time my battery. Most people seem to compare the estimated times on their mac but this obviously varies greatly between users. I think there is a paid app on the app store that does this but I wanted a free solution so I stumbled upon this app http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22649/minibatterylogger which does exactly what we want and more.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
That's true but I use my Macbook for college and so I am repeatedly alternating between putting it in sleep mode and using it. That makes it really difficult to figure out how long the battery actually powered the computer.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Hope it helps! The green icon on the status bar can display the current time on battery if you right click it and click timer.

For the record my 2011 11" i7 air lasts about 4 hours 30 minutes with light use and careful consideration for saving battery (50% brightness on lcd and keyboard, 50% volume, safari, mail, messages, and itunes open. No flash videos using the clicktoplugin in safari). It lasts about 3:30-3 hours if I use it without regard to saving battery.

litokhmaikid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Hope it helps! The green icon on the status bar can display the current time on battery if you right click it and click timer.

For the record my 2011 11" i7 air lasts about 4 hours 30 minutes with light use and careful consideration for saving battery (50% brightness on lcd and keyboard, 50% volume, safari, mail, messages, and itunes open. No flash videos using the clicktoplugin in safari). It lasts about 3:30-3 hours if I use it without regard to saving battery.

Does the program only time how long you have been using the computer or just how long since the timer was started?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.