Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple and Nintendo at the top of the list. No surprises there.
(In my opinion the best 2 made it to the top)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I want an XBOX controller... the original XBOX controller, not the 360 :D
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time is also on my list and would be when I was 12 if I knew how good it was back then.

----------

When I was a kid, we were happy to get a bowl of soup and a piece of hard candy.

Now kids are so fat they can barely leave the house and all they want are things that will insure that they remain fat.

Didn't you want the Red Rider BB gun and some Ovaltine?

----------

You want a what?!

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Wow, someone else made a reference to that movie. :D:D:D

----------

You are thinking wrong thing, or have simply forgotten a certain company that had the most desirable electronics for kids during the 80's and early 90's, and by no means where they cheap either. Analysts said Nintendo had products in nearly 30% of all American households at it's peak.

On a side note, both my 3 year old and 4 year old will be getting iPod Touches for Christmas.

Gameboy Color > Wii U
I'm not joking here.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
This list showing that the iPad is ranked highest is not a surprise. Apple is getting back into the education market again, lots of schools in the US (is this true outside the US?) are using the iPad as a teaching tool (K-12).

Hugh

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
This is what we've succumbed to....
Doing pointless surveys to figure out what's on a kids Christmas list.

And who's going to buy it, Santa?

Just pathetic.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

thing is kids get what they want now a days, lol adults have little say and these 12 Y/O kids will soon be 18 and getting their own crap and guess what they'll buy..... apple loves kids they love apple back and guess what apple is looking to a future where kids know what a mac is unlike most 80's and 90's teens all new millennia teens now know apple as the brand to own and so for the few generations to come apple dominates thanks to these "meaningless" kids......
dont be short sided see business is as much about present as it is about future sales.......

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sony's online software is kind of bad, no way around that. Updates and installs are very tedious. I remember Uncharted 2 taking near 1 hour to do all the updating before I could play it. Hirai acknowledged Sony's software has been lackluster on all fronts.

I know some will buy it now even after this long, the volume to me is just strange. This far in I would think they would push 500k around christmas instead of the 1.2 or so they will push. As a media player and Blu ray and some good games to boot it is a nice buy, it's just the volume staying so high kind of stinks for us that want progress a little faster in the console market.

I miss the 5-6 year cycles instead of what we have now, but it's the way of things I guess.

Because it doesn't need to progress yet. The console swan songs are coming out (Halo 4, Beyond) that show off what these machines can really do, personally I think if they shared the tech to get those games looking that good we could happily live with 2 more years of Xbox 360 and PS3. And why does it need to progress? What's to add to the PS3 other than a better graphics card?
You can install a 1tb drive, it can play the best streamed media and physical media and looks great doing it. 4k is the next big thing to push for. So long that the next gen games run at 1080p minimum with some pushing 4k, that's the only thing they can really improve right now.

And their online infrastructure isn't great but has been partially fixed by Playstation Plus' automatic patching, and has been completely fixed on the PS Vita with full background downloads.

desiPM

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Santa-claus very upset!!

Apparently this survey was conducted by Santa-claus. Who's very upset at MacRumors to release this list to the public before the holidays season, As per now he may sue MacRumors for hacking into his Mac Pro's Database :)

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

According to a survey done by Nielsen, U.S. consumers aged 6-12 are significantly more interested in purchasing Apple's iOS products over the next 6 months. The new Nintendo Wii U took the #2 spot, but lagged well behind the iPad. Meanwhile, the iPod Touch, iPad Mini and the iPhone rounded out the rest of the top 5 most wanted products for this age group.

Nielsen also surveyed persons aged 13+ and found the iPad also topped that list. The remainder of the 13+ year old list was less dramatically in favor of Apple than the 6-12 year old group.

In a separate survey of (presumably) adults, Reuters found that one third of U.S. consumers were thinking of buying a tablet this holiday season. Amongst those who wanted a tablet, the iPad was again the most popular with 25% of respondents planning to purchase one. Second and third place went to the Kindle (15%) and Samsung (15%) tablets. Finally, Apple's new iPad mini came in at 8% amongst respondents.

Article Link: Kids and Adults Want iPads More Than Anything Else This Holiday Season

Nice survey and its actually gonna be the coming future .

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
iPad on the top of the most wanted list and Microsoft Surface on the bottom? This is a surprise only to Ballmer.

Yes their adverts are a joke, teenagers dancing around waving tablets at each other, please:rolleyes: This is M$ desperately trying to be cool and failing miserably so it looks like nothing has really changed in the last decade at M$. They should let the XBOX guys run the Surface department, they seem to know how to shift product ok.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
meanwhile U.S. Mac sales in October were down 16 percent year over year, according to the latest data from NPD Group

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...macs-in-holiday-quarter-down-7-year-over-year

Now let's take the whole quote:

"U.S. Mac sales in October were down 16 percent year over year, according to the latest data from NPD Group. But Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray noted that Mac sales have exceeded NPD figures by an average of 12 percentage points in the last three quarters, which suggests, overall Mac sales were down just 4 percent year over year."

Still, Apple is devastated. Everyone else loses millions of computer sales because people buy iPads, and Apple loses 100,000 sales as well. Truly devastated.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
They have the means; they're known as parents. If the kids howl loudly and persistently enough, the parents are the ones who will buy the devices. And apparently, this "sluggish" economy hasn't stopped adults from snapping up Apple products by the boatload.

I generally agree with you. Parents are the ones who'll make the purchase.
However, I've experienced a large shift in what I purchase due to the "sluggish" economy so I don't snap up Apple products anymore (or much else beyond groceries and gas these days).

I'm just one person, so certainly not saying because of my experience, everyone else is in the same boat.
I got slammed with over a 1/3 loss of annual income starting in late 2008 and it's been painful (and humbling).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.