Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamEB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Our department shares a computer and someone keeps changing the desktop background, with weird sayings that don't make sense and are also inappropriate.

Is there a way to disable Desktop and Screensavers in System Preferences but nothing else? Unfortunately we need access to everything else but that.
I changed the permissions on com.apple.desktop.plist but the background can still be changed through System Prefs.

Johnny Vegas

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
You can remove the system preference by moving/deleting the prefPane file found at:
HDD -> System -> Library -> PreferencePanes -> DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane

However a user can still change the background by right-clicking on an image. Locking the .plist file will at least reset the background every time the computer logs on. If you have access to OS X server, there are ways to lock the background using Work Group Manager.

~JV

SamEB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Thanks. I removed it from System Prefs. At some point I also made it so that you can't right-click a picture on our computer to change the background, so that option is gone.
Now the only way I can see for anyone to change it is to right-click a photo online.

The account is local, so I can't change it in WGM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.