Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that Apple has nearly caught up with demand for the iPhone 5. This is based on data gathered by Piper Jaffray in nightly checks of 100 retail Apple Stores.
"As we get closer to the holiday, we believe consumers will likely have the ability to walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an iPhone 5 within the next two weeks," Munster said.
Available stock of the iPhone 5 has varied by carrier. Sprint models have been more readily available, while Verizon more scarce. But recently, all models are becoming more available:

piper-121121.jpg
Meanwhile, there's also been evidence of improved supply on Apple's own online store with shipping estimates for new iPhone 5 models dropping to 2 weeks for the first time. Previously, iPhone 5 ship dates were out as far as 3-4 weeks, improving to 2-3 weeks last week, and now at 2 weeks.

Article Link: Apple Beginning to Catch Up on iPhone 5 Demand in U.S.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Why on earth didn't the person who made that graph align the graph colors with the colors of the company logos?

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
After having the same phone for 2 years, then finally getting my upgrade, it was frustrating having to wait so long for the iPhone 5 to be available to buy or even ship to me! Glad they are catching up for the holiday season.

Last edited:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Take THAT, Galaxy S3

It will be interesting to see the quarterly results that actually include the new iPhone for a whole quarter. No other single phone can beat it.

But the real test of Smartphones is profits, and Apple ALWAYS beats Sammy's butt there.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
This is only a good thing. I still see very few iPhone 5s out in the wild (besides my own.) I have to think the demand is there, but people still think it's too hard to get.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
I'm sure it's probably true, but that graph makes it appear that there is like a 50% margin for error with how it jumps around from day to day. What did they do, ask 5 stores for each carrier?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
To get one from an Apple store... you can usually reserve one on Apples website the night before between 10 pm and 4 am... I tested it at me local Apple store because my parents are about to buy it when their sprint contract is up and it worked just fine.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Take THAT, Galaxy S3
It will be interesting to see the quarterly results that actually include the new iPhone for a whole quarter. No other single phone can beat it.

But the real test of Smartphones is profits, and Apple ALWAYS beats Sammy's butt there.

Why does this always have to come down to "sticking it to" Samsung? Seriously, kind of old yanno? The SGS3 is a pretty awesome damn phone.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Why does this always have to come down to "sticking it to" Samsung? Seriously, kind of old yanno? The SGS3 is a pretty awesome damn phone.

Thank You! Getting tired of hearing all this "Samesung" crap! If I wasn't immersed in the Apple Ecosystem I would have an SG3.

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
Still 2-3 weeks in the UK. Mine's due for delivery 27th-3rd. The shops only have availability for contracts only and since I will not allow myself to be tied in for 2 years, I have to wait.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Well this is a pretty obvious news post.

This goes along with "Apple is making new things next year" news post that was posted the other day.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
To get one from an Apple store... you can usually reserve one on Apples website the night before between 10 pm and 4 am... I tested it at me local Apple store because my parents are about to buy it when their sprint contract is up and it worked just fine.

What time did you try? I've never been successful.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA

Not to mention the fact that competition is awesome. Samsung only makes Apple better, and vice versa. There's plenty of room for competition.

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
As we get closer to the holiday, we believe consumers will likely have the ability to walk into an Apple Store and walk out with an iPhone 5 within the next two weeks

So you walk into a store, and then two weeks later walk out with an iPhone?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Oh no, demand no longer outpaces supply, we'd better sell all of our Apple stock!

mwxiao

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
CT
For whatever reason, they only look at Apple stores. If you buy directly from carriers, or Best Buy, they have in stock weeks ago.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Oh no, demand no longer outpaces supply, we'd better sell all of our Apple stock!

Now is the time to BUY Apple stock, as much as you can possibly afford. I'm taking next month's rent money and buying. I figure that I'll make a tidy profit and still pay the rent. You can't lose with AAPL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.