Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
KRB24
macrumors member

Exclamation Bypassing the internal amplifier of the iPhone 5 for the car

Is there and will there ever be a cable that can bypass the iPhone's internal amp. It was possible with the old 30 pin connector. Here is a picture of the old cable:

Will there be one like this with the lightning connector for the iPhone 5?
KRB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
stevedusa
macrumors member

In theory it's possible. Apple designed the Lightning cable to have flexible and assignable pins, depends on the connector and the accessory.

I'm sure the accessory manufacturers are making a line-out cable for using in stereo or car. As long as Apple tells them what to do.
stevedusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3
awtryau89
macrumors regular

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox. I can plug a lightning cable into my USB and it plays and allows me to see songs, artists, etc. I am guessing it is bypassing and picking up a digital signal since the lightning is all digital. Just to be clear, I am not using an adapter. I do lose album art on my cars screen though. I purchased a 30 pin adapter and it brings the album art and full ipod functionality back though. I think I will take it back though as its not worth it and I cannot say for sure but I believe it sounds better without it.
awtryau89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox. I can plug a lightning cable into my USB and it plays and allows me to see songs, artists, etc. I am guessing it is bypassing and picking up a digital signal since the lightning is all digital. Just to be clear, I am not using an adapter. I do lose album art on my cars screen though. I purchased a 30 pin adapter and it brings the album art and full ipod functionality back though. I think I will take it back though as its not worth it and I cannot say for sure but I believe it sounds better without it.
2013?!... Uh huh
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:24 PM   #5
KRB24
macrumors member

They need to make it and then wait for it to hit ebay or else it will be like $30. Is it safe to buy lightning cables from ebay? I heard they weren't up to the digital standard. I don't want one of them to short my phone or something.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
awtryau89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
2013?!... Uh huh
Sorry I made a mistake. I have a 2012 Equinox.
awtryau89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
Sorry I made a mistake. I have a 2012 Equinox.
Lies always catch up with you... Be the better person
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:58 PM   #8
xx01
macrumors newbie

I am no sure why we need such a cable. There seems to be a lot of myth about the audio quality of 'line out'. I once connected my iPhone to a car stereo using line out and compared it to the heaphone jack, can't hear any difference, tried that with a dedicated headphone amp, again no audible difference. Maybe my amp/headphone are not high end enough
xx01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
2013?!... Uh huh
Yeah, they release the next model year in advance. You have never heard of that?
Jalopybox is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
floss
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx01 View Post
I am no sure why we need such a cable. There seems to be a lot of myth about the audio quality of 'line out'. I once connected my iPhone to a car stereo using line out and compared it to the heaphone jack, can't hear any difference, tried that with a dedicated headphone amp, again no audible difference. Maybe my amp/headphone are not high end enough
There's no myth. It depends on what amp is bypassing the internal iPhone's one and the quality of the output source (speakers,) but for something like a car's stereo system, the sound will be significantly better when a car's amplifier drives the sound versus the iPhone's.

Also, i'm using the same cable in the OP in conjunction with the Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter and it's working perfectly. You might get a high pitch tone when charging and playing music at the same time, but that can be fixed with a ground loop isolator.
floss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
Yeah, they release the next model year in advance. You have never heard of that?
As the poster has omitted he does indeed have the 2012 model.

Perhaps you should read before posting.

Basics please
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
As the poster has omitted he does indeed have the 2012 model.

Perhaps you should read before posting.

Basics please
That information is worthless. If you can not comprehend as to why I posted what I did, you need not reply. You are not even at basics.
Jalopybox is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
That information is worthless. If you can not comprehend as to why I posted what I did, you need not reply. You are not even at basics.
I can indeed comprehend the meaning of your post.

Though i found it to be worthless.

Please take your aggressive attitude elsewhere and do not contact me again.

Have a nice day
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I can indeed comprehend the meaning of your post.

Though i found it to be worthless.

Please take your aggressive attitude elsewhere and do not contact me again.

Have a nice day
You ever follow your own advice? Again, basics.
Jalopybox is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:03 AM   #15

Quote:
You ever follow your own advice? Again, basics.
As requested please refrain from contacting me.

If you continue to contact me in this manner i will report this harrassment to forum moderators.

Please do not pm me either.

Have a nice day.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:17 AM   #16
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Can't remember what forum it was but I'm sure if you plug the lightening cable into a bit1 audison it detects the phone correctly and uses the digital audio out.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:11 AM   #17
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB24 View Post
They need to make it and then wait for it to hit ebay or else it will be like $30. Is it safe to buy lightning cables from ebay? I heard they weren't up to the digital standard. I don't want one of them to short my phone or something.
That's way too vague a question. Depends on the specific seller and the specific cable. Ebay isn't a signle store selling every item listed and there's more than just one cable on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx01 View Post
...or your ears just can't tell the difference. As indicated in the OP and another post above, line out bypasses the internal headphone amp which tends to be noisy. If you can't tell the difference then enjoy not having to worry about it.

Quote:
As requested please refrain from contacting me.

If you continue to contact me in this manner i will report this harrassment to forum moderators.
No one is "contacting you" in this thread. They're posting on an open thread and they are certainly able to do so with or without your permission. If you don't like posts from specific users then add them to your ignore list. You attempted to call a commenter a liar for claiming to have a 2013 model without any basis for proving the commenter wrong at the time you made your original comment as 2013 models have been available from certain makes for some time now. In this particular case, the commenter did have a 2012 model but it's still entirely possible to own a 2013. That's the point that those are trying to make that you think are "harassing" you.

Last edited by takeshi74; Nov 21, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
That's way too vague a question. Depends on the specific seller and the specific cable. Ebay isn't a signle store selling every item listed and there's more than just one cable on ebay

...or your ears just can't tell the difference. As indicated in the OP and another post above, line out bypasses the internal headphone amp which tends to be noisy. If you can't tell the difference then enjoy not having to worry about it.

No one is "contacting you" in this thread. They're posting on an open thread and they are certainly able to do so with or without your permission. If you don't like posts from specific users then add them to your ignore list. You attempted to call a commenter a liar for claiming to have a 2013 model without any basis for proving the commenter wrong at the time you made your original comment as 2013 models have been available from certain makes for some time now. In this particular case, the commenter did have a 2012 model but it's still entirely possible to own a 2013. That's the point that those are trying to make that you think are "harassing" you.
Indeed. I was correct

I asked the user to stop contacting me. Including PM's

Please read before posting.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:19 PM   #19
aircanman
macrumors 6502

Not sure if this has been said, but the audio that comes from the dock connector should be very close to, if not, line out signal level. So you bypass the internal amplifier.

Have you tried a lightning/30 pin adaptor?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:32 PM   #20
KRB24
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircanman View Post
Not sure if this has been said, but the audio that comes from the dock connector should be very close to, if not, line out signal level. So you bypass the internal amplifier.

Have you tried a lightning/30 pin adaptor?
Heck no! It costs like $35 after tax. Not worth it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:16 PM   #21
dwellsMBP
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Indeed. I was correct

I asked the user to stop contacting me. Including PM's

Please read before posting.
Given your astounding level of immaturity and ignorance, I'm going to assume you're no older than fourteen.
dwellsMBP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwellsMBP View Post
Given your astounding level of immaturity and ignorance, I'm going to assume you're no older than fourteen.
You'd assume wrong. Probably older than most here.

Why quoting such old posts?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:13 PM   #23
KRB24
macrumors member

Has this been made yet?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:22 PM   #24
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB24 View Post
Has this been made yet?
The lightning port cannot output analogue audio without a DAC. The lightning to 30 pin adapters (genuine) have a DAC built in.

Personally, in my car I use a full digital connection. Lightning to usb on my Sony dab700u . I'm not sure what format the Audio is sent to the car via usb though . It does however also send system sounds and audio from instrument apps so its not just the car stereo accessing the m4a files like a disk.
cRuNcHiE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:21 PM   #25
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

I use the lighting to 30 pin adapter along with an adapter from iSimple to connect my 5 to the HU in my van.

Works very well, I have a proclip dock in the car so it a very clean setup.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories