Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
siritalks
macrumors member

Wait for new iMac or get MacBook Pro + display now?

Here's a question for anyone who is knowledgeable in the subject...

We are in need of a new Mac computer at work to deal with a HUGE amount of Photoshopping and also a 3D Model imaging project we are about to start.

So I am tasked with doing the research on whether to get a new iMac (when they are available), or a Macbook Pro + display now.

We need the graphics card to have 1GB VRAM and CUDA support to run the 3D modelling software effectively, so it seems like the higher end iMacs and Macbooks have this.

Question is, how would a Macbook Pro (high end 15" model) run the 3D modelling software, and would hooking it up to a Thunderbolt display or similar slow down the capabilities of the graphics card as it will be half focussed on running the screen?

Or should we be waiting for the new iMac 27" high end machine?
siritalks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by siritalks View Post
Here's a question for anyone who is knowledgeable in the subject...

We are in need of a new Mac computer at work to deal with a HUGE amount of Photoshopping and also a 3D Model imaging project we are about to start.

So I am tasked with doing the research on whether to get a new iMac (when they are available), or a Macbook Pro + display now.

We need the graphics card to have 1GB VRAM and CUDA support to run the 3D modelling software effectively, so it seems like the higher end iMacs and Macbooks have this.

Question is, how would a Macbook Pro (high end 15" model) run the 3D modelling software, and would hooking it up to a Thunderbolt display or similar slow down the capabilities of the graphics card as it will be half focussed on running the screen?

Or should we be waiting for the new iMac 27" high end machine?
I say wait it out. The iMac uses a desktop processor and the 27" features more powerful graphics card options (GTX 675MX or 680MX with 2GB of vram). You'll get better performance overall, not to mention options for Fusion drives and more storage.
Johnf1285 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3
MacMiguel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf1285 View Post
I say wait it out. The iMac uses a desktop processor and the 27" features more powerful graphics card options (GTX 675MX or 680MX with 2GB of vram). You'll get better performance overall, not to mention options for Fusion drives and more storage.
Wait!
MacMiguel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

definitely wait... if your budget allows for a macbook pro + display, then you could just as easily get a maxed out iMac with 2GB GPU, 3.4ghz i7, 32GB ram (aftermarket of course) and maybe even the 768GB SSD
mchoffa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

The main question to my mind would be how long you can wait? Given that you say you are 'in need' of a Mac for these things, what would be the impact of not having them immediately? Does it mean you can't start the work or that it will take longer. Would that put revenue from those projects at risk?

Bear in mind that none of us know when the iMac is going to be available. The only thing we know is that Tim Cook says that supplies will be constrained and demand will be robust. So, there is a chance that you can't get one for weeks even if you can order them.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Hakone
macrumors 6502a

Get the Pro+Display! That's one less person in front of the line when i make my iMac order!

Kidding... i'd wait it out unless you NEED it.
Hakone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:51 PM   #7
i make movies
macrumors regular

Wait.....definetly, without fail, wait for the iMac. Just some numbers..

MacBook Pro top GPU is the 650M.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

Top iMac GPU is the GTX680MX

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/note...specifications

That's 384 Cuda cores vs 1536 Cuda Cores (and PCIe 2.0 vs. PCIe 3.0). Almost 5x the amount of Cuda cores and at least double the bandwidth.
i make movies is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
display, graphics, imac, macbook