Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1
SamEB
macrumors newbie

How do I keep a user from changing the desktop background?

Our department shares a computer and someone keeps changing the desktop background, with weird sayings that don't make sense and are also inappropriate.

Is there a way to disable Desktop and Screensavers in System Preferences but nothing else? Unfortunately we need access to everything else but that.
I changed the permissions on com.apple.desktop.plist but the background can still be changed through System Prefs.
SamEB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Johnny Vegas
macrumors member

You can remove the system preference by moving/deleting the prefPane file found at:
HDD -> System -> Library -> PreferencePanes -> DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane

However a user can still change the background by right-clicking on an image. Locking the .plist file will at least reset the background every time the computer logs on. If you have access to OS X server, there are ways to lock the background using Work Group Manager.

~JV
Johnny Vegas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
SamEB
macrumors newbie

Thanks. I removed it from System Prefs. At some point I also made it so that you can't right-click a picture on our computer to change the background, so that option is gone.
Now the only way I can see for anyone to change it is to right-click a photo online.

The account is local, so I can't change it in WGM.
SamEB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help