Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I was comparing my new iPad mini to my mom's iPad 2, and noticed that even with fairly light taps, I hear a tapping noise on the screen, whereas the full sized ipad has no sound unless I tap with my nails or fairly hard.

Anyone else notice a sound on theirs or is that a defect?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I just got mine a few hours ago and I was thinking I was crazy for thinking this.

It doesn't bother me but I could tell a difference between it and my iPad 2.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I notice it too. It like a hollow sound, like I'm tapping on a thin plastic instead of heavy glass. I think it has to do with the thinner glass the mini uses.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
That's a drawback to such a lightweight product.

I've read quite a bit of negative feedback about the quality of the mini. I have no doubt it will grow to be an excellent product, but for now it's too niche and not what I would consider up to apple quality standards.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
That's a drawback to such a lightweight product.

I've read quite a bit of negative feedback about the quality of the mini. I have no doubt it will grow to be an excellent product, but for now it's too niche and not what I would consider up to apple quality standards.

Why is that a drawback? :confused: It's thinner and lighter than any other iPad before it.

I don't understand the quality standards dig. It is a very well made product. Excellently made. That is one of the few things all the reviewers have actually agreed on, and having handled it for a day now constantly, I agree with them.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's not hard to understand. A hollow tapping sound is perceived as lower quality than a solid tapping sound. The Mini probably is as solidly made as the iPad 4, but that doesn't change the perception.

I still find it hard to understand as it takes a lot more than that for me to question the quality of a product. To each his own I guess...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I still find it hard to understand as it takes a lot more than that for me to question the quality of a product. To each his own I guess...

I don't think you are being completely honest. Tap the back of the iPhone 3GS and the back of the iPhone 4. Which sounds like a higher quality device?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't think you are being completely honest. Tap the back of the iPhone 3GS and the back of the iPhone 4. Which sounds like a higher quality device?

Tapping sound do not equal quality or lack thereof. I am intelligent enough to recognize the glass on the mini was made thinner than any before to achieve its thinness goal. Just because the glass is thicker and the device is chunkier doesn't mean it's higher quality.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tapping sound do not equal quality or lack thereof. I am intelligent enough to recognize the glass on the mini was made thinner than any before to achieve its thinness goal. Just because the glass is thicker and the device is chunkier doesn't mean it's higher quality.

That's why I said the perceived quality. Take two devices that have the same build quality and give one a hollow sound when tapping. That device will be perceived as lower quality when compared to the one one that doesn't make a hollow sound when you tap it. The same is true if the glass flexes when pressing.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
That's why I said the perceived quality. Take two devices that have the same build quality and give one a hollow sound when tapping. That device will be perceived as lower quality when compared to the one one that doesn't make a hollow sound when you tap it. The same is true if the glass flexes when pressing.

Perception is not a reflex. I can apply intelligence and common sense to my perceptions to avoid reaching faulty conclusions.

But that's me.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
At times the sound makes it seem like the build quality was not managed well, but then I realize that is is fine. The screen doesn't have any give, which is what I was afraid of, and the product is sealed tight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.