Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:05 AM   #51
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a
 
Beanoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 51 degrees North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calot View Post
Well, you must ONLY use Safari with ONE tab open.

I am currently listening to music, have 3 tabs open in safari, and when I open the Mac App store it shows that I'm using 2.72 GB of RAM.

Sure, 2Gb is enough, if you only check your e-mail or watch SD videos in Youtube.
That is not right, there is somethng wrong with your computer if you're using that much RAM for that.

Also worth noting that youtube uses flash, and upgrading your RAM won't affect the way it runs. Your CPU and video will be the drivers of that and whether it can adequately process SD or HD
__________________
iPhone5 32Gb-iPad Mini 64Gb
iMac 27" 3.2Ghz i3 / 16Gb / 1Tb
MacMini 2.33GHz / 128Gb SSD / 20" ACD
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:16 AM   #52
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calot View Post
Well, you must ONLY use Safari with ONE tab open.

I am currently listening to music, have 3 tabs open in safari, and when I open the Mac App store it shows that I'm using 2.72 GB of RAM.

Sure, 2Gb is enough, if you only check your e-mail or watch SD videos in Youtube.
Oh well. I guess my Air is magic, then, since I do way more and surf the web with dozens of tabs (2GB 2011 here) with no issues. Not sure why people have a fascination with seeing how much RAM is being used. I have never done that, and don't care to- if things are working well, why care about the numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackmd1 View Post
I have been using a 2010 macbook air 2gb ram for the last 2yrs and while yes it doesn't choke on normal tasks I wish every day I had more! Comparing my mba to my friends mbp 2009 with 4gb I was surprised to see how much more fluid transitions and mission control were on his compared to mine. My advice is 4gb minimum!
I think your problem is your C2D processor, not the RAM.... since I have no such issues with transitions and Mission Control (mine is an i5), even when compared to my sister's MBP (C2D) 2009 with 8 GB of RAM.
myrtlebee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:19 AM   #53
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a
 
LeandrodaFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Not enough. Get more RAM

Lets face it, Mac users always start with "oh, its just gonna be web browsing" and then when you get this awsesome machine you start Skydiving with it, 2GB is not enough
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:49 AM   #54
Naimfan
macrumors 68030
 
Naimfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bez59 View Post
Hi, I am planning on getting a MacBook Air for my wife for christmas and i'm not sure if 2gb of ram will be enough or if i should get one with 4gb.

She will only be using it for web browsing and playing games like family farm and dragon city on facebook.

Will 2gb be enough?

If i got one with 2gb and it wasn't enough can i upgrade it or is it not replaceable?

Thanks.
Order it with 4 - they are not upgradable.

If she tries to use it with 2 GB she might end up throwing it at you.
__________________
"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving."
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Naimfan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:40 AM   #55
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Sure 2gb ram is enough for her use. No question 'bout it. Is 4gb preferable? Of course, but the question whether 2gb will do or not, it's definitely enough..
Lukewarmwinner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #56
macrominnie
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
Sure 2gb ram is enough for her use. No question 'bout it. Is 4gb preferable? Of course, but the question whether 2gb will do or not, it's definitely enough..
I agree with this post, from direct experience using a MBA with that spec, both for more demanding functions and similar activities to Bez59's description. It's not ideal but it's pretty workable, especially if the MBA is mainly used as an Internet appliance.
macrominnie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #57
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland US
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Oh well. I guess my Air is magic, then, since I do way more and surf the web with dozens of tabs (2GB 2011 here) with no issues. Not sure why people have a fascination with seeing how much RAM is being used. I have never done that, and don't care to- if things are working well, why care about the numbers?



I think your problem is your C2D processor, not the RAM.... since I have no such issues with transitions and Mission Control (mine is an i5), even when compared to my sister's MBP (C2D) 2009 with 8 GB of RAM.
Well my friends macbook pro was running a core 2 duo at 2.26ghz so I didnt think it would make that much of a difference. (both are running SSD's by the way)
Zackmd1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:25 PM   #58
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
2GB for basic usage would be ok with Snow Leopard. Lion/Mountain Lion you really want 4GB, even for your basic stuff IMO.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:52 PM   #59
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
Lion/Mountain Lion you really want 4GB, even for your basic stuff IMO.
Nah. I'm running ML on 2GB as smooth as butter. Haven't had any issues whatsoever.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:22 PM   #60
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a
 
Beanoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 51 degrees North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calot View Post
Yeah OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!

SOMETHING IS WRONG!

14000 songs is wrong.



Mongoloid
Unless you're playing the all of them at once i'm not sure what your point is.

Reported for use of derogatory language by the way.
__________________
iPhone5 32Gb-iPad Mini 64Gb
iMac 27" 3.2Ghz i3 / 16Gb / 1Tb
MacMini 2.33GHz / 128Gb SSD / 20" ACD
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:34 AM   #61
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Nah. I'm running ML on 2GB as smooth as butter. Haven't had any issues whatsoever.
Yes. I'll stick with my suggestion. You'll just need to make friends with the fact not everyone is going to agree with you. I'm glad it's working out for you, it wouldn't for me and I'm not that heavy a user.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:14 AM   #62
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
Yes. I'll stick with my suggestion. You'll just need to make friends with the fact not everyone is going to agree with you. I'm glad it's working out for you, it wouldn't for me and I'm not that heavy a user.
You say "it wouldn't for me".... yet how do you know? Do you own a 2011 11" MBA with 2GB RAM as I do?

You claimed it doesn't work well with Lion or ML, and that is not true. One can have opinions, but one cannot make up facts. I am using 2GB with Mountain Lion and it is fine. No problems, that's a fact.

You're free to post your opinion, but if I feel the urge to refute it, I will, and can, do that as well. You'll just need to "make friends with that fact".
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:28 AM   #63
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
You say "it wouldn't for me".... yet how do you know? Do you own a 2011 11" MBA with 2GB RAM as I do?

You claimed it doesn't work well with Lion or ML, and that is not true. One can have opinions, but one cannot make up facts. I am using 2GB with Mountain Lion and it is fine. No problems, that's a fact.

You're free to post your opinion, but if I feel the urge to refute it, I will, and can, do that as well. You'll just need to "make friends with that fact".
Have that same machine here and works with no issue too, i run parallels and office plus several services always online and delivers.

If the money for extra 2gb is no problem go for it either way she will be fine.
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:31 AM   #64
Johnny Alien
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Because the base model now has 4GB of RAM, I would say that Apple is saying that 4GB should be the minimum to run well for a few years. 2GB is plenty to do what is described and with no OS upgrades it will run smoothly for years most likely. However if someone is future proofing their laptop then at this point 4GB should be the minimum. That is not saying that 2GB is not enough, as it clearly is, but that 4GB will take you further into the future. An Apple laptop is an investment and I don't want to pay that every two years.
Johnny Alien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:38 AM   #65
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
Because the base model now has 4GB of RAM, I would say that Apple is saying that 4GB should be the minimum to run well for a few years. 2GB is plenty to do what is described and with no OS upgrades it will run smoothly for years most likely. However if someone is future proofing their laptop then at this point 4GB should be the minimum. That is not saying that 2GB is not enough, as it clearly is, but that 4GB will take you further into the future. An Apple laptop is an investment and I don't want to pay that every two years.
Exactly. Today it will work just fine, but a year down the road on a new osx...you would be pushing it.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:47 AM   #66
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Exactly. Today it will work just fine, but a year down the road on a new osx...you would be pushing it.
Thats were apple have everyone, you dont need to update just because....

For her needs its fine if extra money is no issue go for 4gb if not its no problem.
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:52 AM   #67
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Thats were apple have everyone, you dont need to update just because....

For her needs its fine if extra money is no issue go for 4gb if not its no problem.
That is one thing apple does. With each update, be it Mac or OSX, your machine takes a hit. Android on the other hand makes an old phone feel faster with a new OS.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:58 AM   #68
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
You say "it wouldn't for me".... yet how do you know? Do you own a 2011 11" MBA with 2GB RAM as I do?

You claimed it doesn't work well with Lion or ML, and that is not true. One can have opinions, but one cannot make up facts. I am using 2GB with Mountain Lion and it is fine. No problems, that's a fact.

You're free to post your opinion, but if I feel the urge to refute it, I will, and can, do that as well. You'll just need to "make friends with that fact".
Because I returned a 2GB model after owning it for 2 days. I wanted a 4gb model with the 128gb SSD but it was BTO only. I didn't want to wait for it so I thought I could get by on 2gb (which had the cheaper 128gb options I wanted) well it was clear that wasn't going to cut it so I returned it and ordered the 2gb one.

I ended my first post with IMO and it was based on my experience. You can't refute that, trying to refute my own experience by using you as an example is retarded. What works for you isn't going to work for everyone. Its one thing to say you think 2gb is plenty, its another to say or imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is wromg. Get over yourself.

Funny you mention fact when youre the one attempting to pass off real facts by ignoring real memory usage and using a very subjective metric, (how you "feel" its running.) 2gb is enough isn't a fact. You think 2gb is enough for you might be, but you are not everyone, everyone is not you. Like I said, get over yourself.

Last edited by 2IS; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:23 AM   #69
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post

I ended my first post with IMO and it was based on my experience. You can't refute that, trying to refute my own experience by using you as an example is retarded. What works for you isn't going to work for everyone. Its one thing to say you think 2gb is plenty, its another to say or imply everyone who doesnt agree with you is wromg. Get over yourself.
Sigh... that's not what I was saying. I was saying that you claimed OSX Lion and Mountain Lion don't work well with 2GB. The fact is, they do. It's not a matter of opinion. It's either they do or they don't. Whether you think 2GB is enough to run certain applications or is enough to "future proof" for future OSX iterations is another matter. I have already conceded that 2GB is not optimal for iMovie and iPhoto. I think at this point I will continue tending to my turkey seeing as it understands me more than you seem to.
myrtlebee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:05 AM   #70
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
"work well" is subjective.


however, as someone else pointed out, buying a machine for about a grand and crippling it with 2gb of non-upgradable memory when the cost to go to 4gb is perhaps 5-10% of purchase price is pretty stupid.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:46 PM   #71
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Sigh... that's not what I was saying. I was saying that you claimed OSX Lion and Mountain Lion don't work well with 2GB. The fact is, they do. It's not a matter of opinion. It's either they do or they don't. Whether you think 2GB is enough to run certain applications or is enough to "future proof" for future OSX iterations is another matter. I have already conceded that 2GB is not optimal for iMovie and iPhoto. I think at this point I will continue tending to my turkey seeing as it understands me more than you seem to.
It actually IS a matter of opinion and as stated above, IS subjective. Paging out to the drive (even if it's an SSD) is not my idea of working well. I gave my opinion based on my experience, you gave yours. I'm not going to agree with you, I know better.
2IS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:47 PM   #72
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Stating that you know better is also subjective
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:26 PM   #73
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback666 View Post
Stating that you know better is also subjective
Help me out... What's your point?
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:05 PM   #74
Switchback666
macrumors 65816
 
Switchback666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Caribbean
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2IS View Post
Help me out... What's your point?
Im joking mate
__________________
What is The B.D.S Movement ? Check it out !
FREEDOM, JUSTICE & EQUALITY !
Switchback666 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:14 PM   #75
Carouser
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
however, as someone else pointed out, buying a machine for about a grand and crippling it with 2gb of non-upgradable memory when the cost to go to 4gb is perhaps 5-10% of purchase price is pretty stupid.
Paying 5-10% of purchase price for something which will not demonstrate commensurate value for the person paying the money is pretty stupid.
Carouser is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: What will 2GB of RAM do? Kendo iPad 31 Oct 16, 2013 03:19 PM
2GB Ram 64GB or 4GB Ram 128GB Model? Martylaa MacBook Air 4 Aug 31, 2012 04:50 PM
Anyone try 10.8 with 2GB RAM? artguy10 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 46 Aug 28, 2012 12:11 PM
2008 2GB Ram ---> 8GB Ram ZacNicholson OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 4 Aug 1, 2012 03:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC