Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Greetings all

I will be in need of a new router within the next 6 months (moving from Germany to Korea). I have always wanted an Airport Extreme, as it is probably the only piece of apple equipment that I haven't already or currently own :)

I also read the ocassional bad review on them...but not sure if it is the infamous apple bashing or just that it isn't a really good router. Could I please have your thoughts on the performance of the airport extreme?

As far as other routers go...I have almost ordered the D-Link DIR-655. I owned it a few years ago and it was a really nice router. There seems to be newer D-Link models out there now, but everyone seems to still recommend the DIR-655.

Please note: If it makes any difference, I will be coupling whatever router I buy with a StrongVPN enabled router (Linksys E4200) that will give all my devices a US IP address - which comes in handy when you are overseas and want to watch Netflix :). My understanding is that I will just connect the VPN router to my regular router....then connect the devices that I want an US IP address on the VPN router, while connecting regular devices to the regular router. Hope I have that rigth anyway...

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughst and recommendations!

Mike

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Are there other options out there with a lot more features? Sure. But I have yet to use another router that is as reliable as an AirPort Extreme. Super easy to set up, super easy to manage and you can literally set it and forget it for the rest of the time you own it.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I agree with the previous posters. The Airport Extreme is more expensive when you compare it on features. But is is very reliable and also easy to set up. Also things like wireless wake on lan work right out of the box.

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone! I will see what I can do...but you have all just nudged me back towards the Airport Extreme :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Here is a very thorough review of the latest AE. Echoing what others said, not the cheapest, but the AE works well and is very easy to manage with the Airport Utility application. Another plus is you can manage the AE with the iOS Airport Utility app also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.