Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
tedesco24
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Google Play or itunes Match

I've downsized my iPhone 5 from 32gb to 16gb. I drank the Apple Kool-Aid as I have the 5 and Macbook Pro, so I'm all about staying in the Apple framework.
However reading about itunes Match has made me wonder if it will do what I want, which is to have complete access to my music library anytime, anywhere. I have a library of around 3500 songs, 23gb. Google Play will comfortably fit my entire collection and it's free. So why should I use iTunes? I'm not being smart, just trying to discover the differences. Thank you.
__________________
Bill
Aluminum Macbook Pro mc372ll/a
iPhone and iPod Nano
We all have a choice, choose life and honor Him!
tedesco24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Alith
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, UK.
I haven't bought a single song since subscribing to Spotify Premium. I don't think the other music services come close. 320kbps streaming and syncing to mobile devices and a bunch of apps that add social features and music discovery. 10 a month, no ads, unlimited listening. Good times.
Alith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 AM   #3
DMaki650
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
I've downsized my iPhone 5 from 32gb to 16gb. I drank the Apple Kool-Aid as I have the 5 and Macbook Pro, so I'm all about staying in the Apple framework.
However reading about itunes Match has made me wonder if it will do what I want, which is to have complete access to my music library anytime, anywhere. I have a library of around 3500 songs, 23gb. Google Play will comfortably fit my entire collection and it's free. So why should I use iTunes? I'm not being smart, just trying to discover the differences. Thank you.
With iTunes Match any song you buy does NOT count towards the max upload limit (this also includes any song you have in your library that you have already bought, along with any songs you have that iTunes Match matches). The Only songs that count toward the max upload limit are the songs that it has to physically upload that it can't match. Where as with google play you get a limit of 20,000 tracks and uploading takes a long time. All 3500 of your's would count towards that limit. But they both are good services. I used Google Play for a while back when i had android.
DMaki650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:15 AM   #4
tedesco24
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaki650 View Post
With iTunes Match any song you buy does NOT count towards the max upload limit (this also includes any song you have in your library that you have already bought, along with any songs you have that iTunes Match matches). The Only songs that count toward the max upload limit are the songs that it has to physically upload that it can't match. Where as with google play you get a limit of 20,000 tracks and uploading takes a long time. All 3500 of your's would count towards that limit. But they both are good services. I used Google Play for a while back when i had android.
Most of my music collection has been ripped from CD's. Would those songs count towards the upload limit?
__________________
Bill
Aluminum Macbook Pro mc372ll/a
iPhone and iPod Nano
We all have a choice, choose life and honor Him!
tedesco24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:24 AM   #5
DMaki650
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
Most of my music collection has been ripped from CD's. Would those songs count towards the upload limit?
If iTunes can match them with what's in the iTunes store then no they would not count towards the limit. I have around 12,000 tracks in my itunes collection and out of all that there are around 150 tracks that it could not find.
DMaki650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:58 AM   #6
tedesco24
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaki650 View Post
If iTunes can match them with what's in the iTunes store then no they would not count towards the limit. I have around 12,000 tracks in my itunes collection and out of all that there are around 150 tracks that it could not find.

Wow, I completely misunderstood that. I was under the impressions that the only songs that did not count towards my total were songs I bought in the itunes store. This new piece of info really changes things!
__________________
Bill
Aluminum Macbook Pro mc372ll/a
iPhone and iPod Nano
We all have a choice, choose life and honor Him!
tedesco24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:20 AM   #7
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaki650 View Post
If iTunes can match them with what's in the iTunes store then no they would not count towards the limit. I have around 12,000 tracks in my itunes collection and out of all that there are around 150 tracks that it could not find.
That's incorrect. Matched songs do count towards the limit.

However, as the OP only has 3,500 tracks then it doesn't really matter much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
I was under the impressions that the only songs that did not count towards my total were songs I bought in the itunes store. This new piece of info really changes things!
Your original thinking was correct.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:44 AM   #8
DMaki650
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
That's incorrect. Matched songs do count towards the limit.

However, as the OP only has 3,500 tracks then it doesn't really matter much.

----------



Your original thinking was correct.
Huh, they havent for me. Maybe they changed it then. No Worries. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe it's a glitch for me. I have over 12,000 songs and when I view by album view there's quite a few that are Matched and there not showing up for my total count limit at all.
DMaki650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:47 AM   #9
urban19
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
I've downsized my iPhone 5 from 32gb to 16gb. I drank the Apple Kool-Aid as I have the 5 and Macbook Pro, so I'm all about staying in the Apple framework.
However reading about itunes Match has made me wonder if it will do what I want, which is to have complete access to my music library anytime, anywhere. I have a library of around 3500 songs, 23gb. Google Play will comfortably fit my entire collection and it's free. So why should I use iTunes? I'm not being smart, just trying to discover the differences. Thank you.
I think the best solution is to put only albums you like better on iPhone. I bet you won't miss a lot of songs.
But 3500 is really a lot what artists are in your library?
urban19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:56 AM   #10
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaki650 View Post
Huh, they havent for me. Maybe they changed it then. No Worries. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe it's a glitch for me. I have over 12,000 songs and when I view by album view there's quite a few that are Matched and there not showing up for my total count limit at all.
Where are you getting the info about your count limit? I'm not aware of any way of seeing how much of your limit you have used except for just using a smart playlist to add up matched and uploaded songs.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
emvath
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
I've had a different experience with iTunes match. I have around 17,000 songs and there are only about 2,000 that iTunes DID match. I've had terrible luck with it and did not renew my membership. I do realize though that some people have had much more success matching than others.
emvath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:21 AM   #12
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
I've downsized my iPhone 5 from 32gb to 16gb. I drank the Apple Kool-Aid as I have the 5 and Macbook Pro, so I'm all about staying in the Apple framework.
However reading about itunes Match has made me wonder if it will do what I want, which is to have complete access to my music library anytime, anywhere. I have a library of around 3500 songs, 23gb. Google Play will comfortably fit my entire collection and it's free. So why should I use iTunes? I'm not being smart, just trying to discover the differences. Thank you.
Main reasons for iTunes Match: 1. It upgrades all lower-quality music to AAC 256Kbit, if it is available in the iTunes store. 2. It updates playlists and everything else. 3. You know that it works.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by emvath View Post
I've had a different experience with iTunes match. I have around 17,000 songs and there are only about 2,000 that iTunes DID match. I've had terrible luck with it and did not renew my membership. I do realize though that some people have had much more success matching than others.
My numbers are completely the opposite. It even matched music that I had recorded from LPs (not all, but 50% or so). Stuff bought at Amazon matched 98% or better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedesco24 View Post
Most of my music collection has been ripped from CD's. Would those songs count towards the upload limit?
Music ripped from CD would most likely be matched and not uploaded (that means you can download exactly what's on the iTunes Store, and not what's on your computer), but it would count against the 25,000 song limit.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:53 AM   #13
DMaki650
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
Where are you getting the info about your count limit? I'm not aware of any way of seeing how much of your limit you have used except for just using a smart playlist to add up matched and uploaded songs.
After iTunes Match finish's uploading music in the ITunes Match window it shows me how much I have uploaded. That Is how I know.
DMaki650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:15 PM   #14
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaki650 View Post
After iTunes Match finish's uploading music in the ITunes Match window it shows me how much I have uploaded. That Is how I know.
But why do you then believe that it doesn't count towards your 25,000 limit? From what you are saying there, it just says it's been uploaded, not that it will or won't count towards the limit.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:01 PM   #15
DMaki650
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
For it actually says how many I have not how many I've uploaded. It's possible it's just a glitch. iTunes has been acting really funny for me.

What I was trying to say is that Matched songs for me have NOT been counting towards my max limit. I no there supposed to, but since they have not been for me I just assumed that Apple changed it.
DMaki650 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:12 PM   #16
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaki650 View Post
For it actually says how many I have not how many I've uploaded. It's possible it's just a glitch. iTunes has been acting really funny for me.

What I was trying to say is that Matched songs for me have NOT been counting towards my max limit. I no there supposed to, but since they have not been for me I just assumed that Apple changed it.
I think I'll leave it here, as you have just confused me now.

It will just say that when iTunes match finishes it just says "xxx songs are now available in iCloud". This number is the amount that are in your cloud library, and has nothing to do with how many are being taken against your limit.

I honestly can't see how you have decided that the matched ones are, or are not counted against the 25,000 allowance. The only way that I know to confirm it is to actually reach the allowance. If you only have 12,000 songs then you can't have checked that, so I don't see how you can know how many of your allowance is left.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:58 PM   #17
adeedew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I have both with around 13,000 songs. Match is very buggy IMO but since it plays in the native IOS music player it's a bit easier than replying on the gomusic or other good music apps to play your library. I found google music alot smoother to upload my songs over a day or so Vs match can take days and will at time fail or stop. Not a google/android guy ,but its free so I'd say in this case google music wins. FYI your entire library on google with download in mp3 not AAC. Also seems to have a limit on how long a track can be. For an example a 4+ hour file even though under their 300mb limit still won't play beyond 3 hours
adeedew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:44 AM   #18
sim667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Does google match or itunes match replace your original files on the computer you upload from?

I dj a bit, and dont want my 320's reduced to 256's by itunes match..... or the explicit versions replaced with clean ones.
__________________
Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, G4 Powerbook, iPad 4, iPhone 5, 2X TV, Nikon D800, ACSP Trained - Photography and Mac tech
Music and UK festival Blog
sim667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google announces big Google Play Services update(iOS/android cross play support) mclld Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 4 Mar 18, 2014 10:57 AM
Google Launches 'Google Play Movies & TV' App, iOS Chromecast Users Gain Alternative to iTunes MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 130 Mar 15, 2014 10:33 PM
iTunes Match Play Counts and Last Played shanetvcam iOS 6 0 Jan 28, 2013 08:29 PM
Itunes Match + Google Play Music minor success tburk32 iCloud and Apple Services 3 Dec 19, 2012 04:17 PM
iTunes Match song WON'T play in iOS 6 distemp iCloud and Apple Services 4 Oct 30, 2012 09:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC