Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:04 AM   #376
sam.dg
macrumors newbie

WTH is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld9so85fjIM
And what about the comment - "solved by format hdd of mac mini | ****in mac mini carrying with errors at first!!"
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:08 AM   #377
Jimb0
macrumors newbie

Hi, i've been following this thread for a couple of weeks but have never posted before. I've found it quite informative so thought I'd share my experience.

I bought a 2.6 i7 mac mini just over a week ago and have it rigged up to a Panasonic 42 inch LED TV via HDMI. For reference, the cable I bought to rig it up is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics...3427331&sr=8-1

So far i've watched a movie, 3 or 4 TV shows, i've installed a load of software and used it for browsing. As yet I haven't had a black screen or any washed out snow colours. In fact i'm really happy with the picture quality, it looks great playing high def movies.

I'm half expecting I will get a black screen (if I do I'll come back and update it here) but thought i'd add my experience to date to the info pool.
Jimb0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #378
xlii
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.dg View Post
WTH is this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld9so85fjIM
And what about the comment - "solved by format hdd of mac mini | ****in mac mini carrying with errors at first!!"
Maybe he had the special 10.8.2 osx version for the 2012 mini on there and when he formated it, he put on 10.8.1. Apple pulled 10.8.2 for the mini from the website, so we know something was wrong with it.
xlii is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:12 PM   #379
Snowcake
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post
Maybe he had the special 10.8.2 osx version for the 2012 mini on there and when he formated it, he put on 10.8.1. Apple pulled 10.8.2 for the mini from the website, so we know something was wrong with it.
No, because the hdmi problem is not OS related. It happens on Linux Distributions and Windows too. It is a firmware/bios problem.

The reason why the 10.8.2 update was pulled: Keychain issue.
Snowcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #380
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

just to make sure, this is the problem I'm having in shared screens as well right? When i remote in it's just showing a black screen? This is due to the same issue? 2011 i7. Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:11 PM   #381
sno1man
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcake View Post
No, because the hdmi problem is not OS related. It happens on Linux Distributions and Windows too. It is a firmware/bios problem.

The reason why the 10.8.2 update was pulled: Keychain issue.
No, you are just speculating just like everyone else here. (myself included)

What I know specific to me:

On either 10.8.2 or 10.8.1 you get the black screen issue.

In addition and this seems to be unique to the 2012 mini is the poor display quality over HDMI which requires all kinds of what should be unnecessary tweaks to the color profile in expert mode including setting a gamma level which doesn't make logical sense in any other configuration.

You may be correct that there is an issue with the intel HD4000 firmware, but it's equally likely that there are software issues as well or possibly (likely) it's both.

Lastly, your statement that update was pulled because of keychain issues is based on a couple of user posts in the Apple Support forums, NOTHING had been confirmed by Apple in any kind of statement other than they have pulled the update.

PS: the reason for my rant is that message like yours discourage both people trying things to address the issue and/or the best scenario which is to report their issues to Apple
sno1man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:35 PM   #382
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
THANK YOU for the link
Mac... nificent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:19 AM   #383
Jig3n
macrumors member

I'm on day 4 with my 3rd mac mini replacement (2.3 i7, running 10.8.1 this time).
So far not one video glitch through the hdmi to dvi.

I have a dual monitor set up, I use 3d content creation apps, also run unity and I've been playing 3d games for several hours.
Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon but maybe the first batch of the mac mini's had a problem or maybe it was the 10.8.2 update.

I'm still expecting it to glitch out though. I'll let you all know here when / if it does.

Last edited by Jig3n; Nov 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Jig3n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 AM   #384
adonis3k
macrumors regular

do they swap for replacement mini if its faulty? since mine is customised guess i'll have to wait?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:31 AM   #385
Jig3n
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis3k View Post
do they swap for replacement mini if its faulty? since mine is customised guess i'll have to wait?
I'd call and replace it right away rather than wait.
Everyone I've dealt with was pretty cool about it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:54 AM   #386
adonis3k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig3n View Post
I'd call and replace it right away rather than wait.
Everyone I've dealt with was pretty cool about it.
what i mean is will they have my mac mini spec in stock to swap over? will give them a call
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 PM   #387
statenine
macrumors newbie

I have not had a chance to read through this entire thread, but it seems that most people are having issues when using the HDMI port for video out. Well I just got my first black screen yesterday and I am using the miniDP to dual link DVI to run my 30" ACD. I have had my mini since day one and this is the first black screen I have got. It happened about 4-5 times yesterday, and each time it was within 10 minutes of the display waking up. After about 10 min it did not happen again until the display went to sleep again, and I woke it up. Just wanted to post that the issue is happening to me via the TB port as well...so it isn't only the HDMI port
statenine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:16 PM   #388
drewe2000
macrumors newbie

count me in

*sigh*

I waited, then I crossed my fingers, and ordered.
2.6Ghz with 16GB of Crucial brand RAM, 1TB HD.
Received mini on 11/20, then this morning (11/21) at about 9AM I had my first issue - black, then snow, then normal, over about 3 seconds. No intervention on my part, but I'm worried about it worsening.
Connected by HDMI to HDMI on my Vizio TV.

I can say that the colors are perfectly fine without any adjustment.

I'll give it some more time and then try the MDP to HDMI adapter, but I didn't purchase this to give up the only Thunderbolt port for video out.

Do not expect Apple to admit, officially, there is an issue. Even if support people have hear of it, they likely cannot confirm it either. As a company, they may admit the issue when/if they have a fix, but not before. That's pretty standard for most companies.

On the bright side - Apple's holiday return policy is in effect, so many of us with these minis don't have to return them until January 7, 2013. Confirm this yourself to make sure you are included (based on purchase date) and that I have the return date. I'm willing to give Apple until then to fix it.
drewe2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:20 PM   #389
adonis3k
macrumors regular

Have they said about this holiday period? on the website etc?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:32 PM   #390
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewe2000 View Post
I had my first issue - black, then snow, then normal, over about 3 seconds. No intervention on my part
How long was it booted up for before the issue?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:37 PM   #391
bluest
macrumors newbie

I thought I'd chip in to add to the weight of numbers.

I have the basic dual core i5 connected via HDMI. Totally stock. Had the black screen two or three times soon after I got the machine. Off the back of this thread I phoned Applecare, where the tech really didn't have a clue what the problem might be, so he just got me to unplug all the external devices and reboot. Gave me a case number and said to call back if it happened again.

The problem then didn't re-occur for about two weeks, but it struck again this morning, so I'll phone Applecare again tomorrow.

I haven't noticed any problems with colour though.
bluest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:41 PM   #392
drewe2000
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb returns and uptime

My mini was booted up for about 6 hours at the time, but I watched it pretty closely before and after, and that's the only event (so far).

As for the holiday return policy:
http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund
"Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between October 27, 2012 and December 25, 2012, may be returned through January 7, 2013."

So, not as good as a fully functional mini, but good enough that they have some time to make it right.
drewe2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:42 PM   #393
Jig3n
macrumors member

Still no blackouts on my 3rd model so far but I did get a call from the head of the cpu engineers a few minutes ago. He apologized about the problem, admitted that the problem is the mac mini and that it was wide spread.
Lots of mac mini 2012 owners are submitting data logs when the blackouts occur and apple is apparently working hard on fixing it.

He didn't say they were going to recall them but he did said it was a possibility.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:10 PM   #394
jollino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig3n View Post
Still no blackouts on my 3rd model so far but I did get a call from the head of the cpu engineers a few minutes ago. He apologized about the problem, admitted that the problem is the mac mini and that it was wide spread.
Lots of mac mini 2012 owners are submitting data logs when the blackouts occur and apple is apparently working hard on fixing it.

He didn't say they were going to recall them but he did said it was a possibility.
Where do you get the logs? I had one earlier and rushed to peek at /var/log/system.log, but there was nothing worth of mention there for me.
jollino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:33 PM   #395
sno1man
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollino View Post
Where do you get the logs? I had one earlier and rushed to peek at /var/log/system.log, but there was nothing worth of mention there for me.
The apple rep i was working with asked me to send the user/library/logs directory, I guess on the theory that it might be app triggered in some way.

Either that or they just want to see what I'm running at the time. The only thing I have seen is copious errors being reported by adobe in design. However that is both the application that I use the most and where I'm getting the most black outs
sno1man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:36 AM   #396
Acorn
macrumors 68020

I am in the market for a mini so I really hope they fix this issue soon. Im not going to purchase one until its fixed. I will give it until the first week of January or so then if there is no fix I will just build a windows box myself.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:43 AM   #397
Mac... nificent
macrumors regular

Smile

I am also in the market for a new mini, but this issue doesn't concern me. It's easy enough to fix with a $5 cable which I will probably order before I get the mini.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:49 AM   #398
SeattleMoose
macrumors 65816

Ratz!!!

Was headed to the Apple Store to pick up the new Mini when I happened to catch sight of this blog. Now I will have to wait until this sorts itself out.

Apple!!!, what happened to "It Just Works"? There is no excuse for shipping out defective products. Where is the testing and QA?
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:54 AM   #399
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by statenine View Post
I have not had a chance to read through this entire thread, but it seems that most people are having issues when using the HDMI port for video out. Well I just got my first black screen yesterday and I am using the miniDP to dual link DVI to run my 30" ACD. I have had my mini since day one and this is the first black screen I have got. It happened about 4-5 times yesterday, and each time it was within 10 minutes of the display waking up. After about 10 min it did not happen again until the display went to sleep again, and I woke it up. Just wanted to post that the issue is happening to me via the TB port as well...so it isn't only the HDMI port
You are the first person I have come across to say that it has happened when using the thunderbolt port. Id bet that your issue is not the same thing.

To everyone else that is living with this problem, why dont you just buy a cheap lead of amazon/ebay that connects to the thunderbolt port instead? If it were me that would be the first thing I would have done.

Im currently using a thunderbolt to displayport cable which cost me around 5, however before that I was using HDMI and I didnt have the screen blanking issue with that either so I dont know whats going on!

EDIT: on a side note I had the same kind of screen blanking issue with my xbox 360 connected via HDMI to my TV and it turned out to be the cable, I tried a couple of other HDMI cables and it didnt happen again. Might be worth a try for some of you?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:24 AM   #400
rolsskk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
EDIT: on a side note I had the same kind of screen blanking issue with my xbox 360 connected via HDMI to my TV and it turned out to be the cable, I tried a couple of other HDMI cables and it didnt happen again. Might be worth a try for some of you?
3 Brands, 3 Cables, and still 1 Problematic MacMini.
rolsskk is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini