Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
lol.... i feel sorry for all the folks who will get a galaxy tap or a surface tab...lol they will feel like they got coal

----------

they know they dont want it..hahah

Galaxy Tap?

wait, Samsung makes kegerators now?!?!?! why whould anyone complain about that?!

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
They dont "feel sorry" for you, why should you ? Live and let die....

they cant feel sorry for me,,..lol i have a jailbroken iPad 3 and and iphone5 and and a 4S...hahahah:D:D:D:D:D

----------

And you spelled "I'm a curmudgeonly bastard who completely lacks a sense of humor and cries myself to sleep every night because no one loves me not even my mom who left me at the train depot when I was two and now have abandonment issues I take out on random people on the internet because I don't have another outlet to express my inner rage" wrong.

hahahah i loved that:D:D:D:D

----------

Galaxy Tap?

wait, Samsung makes kegerators now?!?!?! why whould anyone complain about that?!

it may as well be a damn tap..hahah it sucks

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
And you spelled "I'm a curmudgeonly bastard who completely lacks a sense of humor and cries myself to sleep every night because no one loves me not even my mom who left me at the train depot when I was two and now have abandonment issues because of it which I take out on random people on the internet because I don't have another outlet to express my inner rage" wrong.

WOW, very nice description of yourself.

Renzatic

Suspended
ipad4 is 3 times as powerful at the PS3 and xbox... all it needs is a physical controller and it replaces ps3 and xbox perfectly..

Eh...I'm not so sure about that. The GPU maybe, but I doubt the A6 can match the PPCs in the Xbox, and the funky 10 core thing the PS3 has for pure processing power.

Based on the admittedly very little I know about it, I'd peg the iPad 4 out as more powerful than the PS Vita, but not quite up there with the PS3 just yet.

----------

WOW, very nice description of yourself.

I am rubber you are glue? Really? Your rapier wit wounds my soul.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
they cant feel sorry for me,,..lol i have a jailbroken iPad 3 and and iphone5 and and a 4S...hahahah:D:D:D:D:D

----------

hahahah i loved that:D:D:D:D

----------

it may as well be a damn tap..hahah it sucks

Well i got a ipad 2, iphone 4s and 3 macs yet i feel sorry for you :( seems your in love with a brand.....

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
ipad4 is 3 times as powerful at the PS3 and xbox... all it needs is a physical controller and it replaces ps3 and xbox perfectly..

Yeah but it is a tablet, I like my 55 inch big screen to play teh games on. Sad a tablet has more horsepower than those. I mean I get they lose I think around 250-300$$?? at launch on the consoles and they need to make that back, but 7-8 years kind of sucks for those of us who want things more modern on that front.

2013 is guaranteed though. *rock sign*

Last edited by a moderator:

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah but it is a tablet

Honestly, if Apple supported a physical controller, I wouldn't care if I played my games on a tablet or a proper console provided they both could provide me with the same high end experience. In a way, combining it with Airplay would be a more complete realization of what Nintendo's trying to do with the Wii-U. A console that can transform into a portable gaming machine at the drop of a hat.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted

DrumApple said:
Which is exactly why I DON'T want one thank you very much. Surface for me (and us business folk).

Even still a laptop or ultra book is still a better device for business folk doing real work. The surface is currently just a cool idea.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Yes, because as we all know, sitting in a corner with a $500 tablet builds character so much better than interacting with real people.

I suppose it all depends on what someone considers to be good character, and whether it's actually a good thing for society. Some might argue that beating your child is instilling good character in them, while others would abhor the idea. But I think that's straying from the thread a bit much, eh?

Who's saying that it has to be one or the other? Who's saying if they get a tablet they must never interact with the outside world? Moderation is always the key.

I think every child in the world should have a tablet device, and I think the majority of the apps should be geared toward learning. I don't think every child should have one simply because they're cool, and sadly that's why I think a lot of people/children want them. If someone can afford to buy one for their child, I fully encourage them to do so, but not so they can look cool in front of their friends.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Honestly, if Apple supported a physical controller, I wouldn't care if I played my games on a tablet or a proper console provided they both could provide me with the same high end experience. In a way, combining it with Airplay would be a more complete realization of what Nintendo's trying to do with the Wii-U. A console that can transform into a portable gaming machine at the drop of a hat.

Talk to the developers. The iDevices all support bluetooth, the games just have to be made to work with bluetooth externals. Controllers are available in a couple different formats, mainly from ThinkGeek. I have one right now, works great.

The problem is that touchscreen and controller usage are so completely different that you basically have to design games intended only for use with a controller add-on. And that is not a great business to be in wrt tablets, which are supposed to be complete in themselves (in most people's minds). So, not many have made games for such things, and many of those are retro stuff.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010

I guess you could do HDMI to the big screen and that would work. I still think Apple should use that huge cash pile and try the console market. They could get $499 at the start, maybe lose a shade over a hundred if they swing for the fences. That also puts iTunes under a lot of sets if it took off. I have no doubts the interface would be good.

They aren't that froggy though. Seem to be like a football team with a small lead that just does, run, run, run, punt and plays too conservative. Games rake in more than movies and music combined. You find success there and you're golden like a shower.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Grey

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Skewed data

So there are many tablets that are not iPads as well as cell phones.

So the kids are really saying:

Other Tablet: 29%
Kindle Fire: 19%
Galaxy (note or tab): 4% (half the joined category and rounded down)

So 52% of kids want a tablet that isn't an iPad. Vs the 48% who want one...

Lets take the smartphone into account.

Other smartphone: 20%
Android phone: 16%
Galaxy: 4% (again half rounded down)

So 40% of kids want a smartphone that isn't an iPhone...and I don't know any kids that want a blackberry or windows phone. Vs. the 36% who want one.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted

osofast240sx said:
Also - the PS3 is arguably the best blu-ray player on the market
Not by a long shot. Goto oppo.com for the best blu-ray player

That is true, the oppo gets that nod, however as far as bang for your buck and a full package it goes to the ps3 hands down. I have both guess which one I use most. Oh and I have children so having the ability to play games too is a major plus.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The iPad has stiff competition - as does the iphone - since ~22 percent want smartphones that aren't an iPhone compared to 14 percent that do.

You're interpreting the chart wrong. It means exactly what Nielsen says. The totals add up to much more than 100%, which means respondents could select more than one answer. The "Smart phone other than iPhone" indicates the TOTAL % of respondents who indicated somewhere on their list such a smart phone. This includes people who indicated both an Android and and an iPhone, or an Android and another non-Apple phone. But you can't just add "Androids" to "Smart phone other than iPhone"-- that's double counting.

So the chart means exactly what it says: iPhone: 14%; Smart phone other than iPhone: 12%.

Renzatic

Suspended
The problem is that touchscreen and controller usage are so completely different that you basically have to design games intended only for use with a controller add-on.

...which leads to a chicken and egg situation. If Apple were to create their own standalone controller, I'd guarantee you'd start seeing games come out that take advantage of it. Thing is, until Apple sees a compelling reason for doing so, they won't make it, and people won't make games to support it, which means Apple probably won't see a compelling reason to make one.

And that is not a great business to be in wrt tablets, which are supposed to be complete in themselves (in most people's minds). So, not many have made games for such things, and many of those are retro stuff.

I'd think of it as an accessory similar to the bluetooth keyboard. You can use the iPads onscreen keyboard for typing, much in the same way you can use onscreen analog controls for games. It doesn't hurt the core experience at all. People who want to do heavy typing on their iPad can buy the keyboard, much the same way that more dedicated gamers can buy the controllers. The more casual people? They have the touch based controls ready for them at any given time right out of the box.

Or to put it more simply, as long as everyone isn't required to buy one, it won't hurt people's expectations of the iPad at all.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
So there are many tablets that are not iPads as well as cell phones.

So the kids are really saying:

Other Tablet: 29%
Kindle Fire: 19%
Galaxy (note or tab): 4% (half the joined category and rounded down)

So 52% of kids want a tablet that isn't an iPad. Vs the 48% who want one...

Lets take the smartphone into account.

Other smartphone: 20%
Android phone: 16%
Galaxy: 4% (again half rounded down)

So 40% of kids want a smartphone that isn't an iPhone...and I don't know any kids that want a blackberry or windows phone. Vs. the 36% who want one.

You are interpreting the table in a way that is inconsistent with the way the data is presented. The labels mean exactly what they say. They are not mutually exclusive. "Other smartphone"=20%, which is the total % of respondents who indicated a non-Apple phone on their list. This number already includes Androids and Galaxies. If the responses were mutually exclusive as you assume, the totals for all responses would be no more than 100%.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Actually what it means is that the data is inconclusive since you can't determine how people answered the question (did they select one OR did they select more)

No one is really interpreting the chart wrong since the chart is vague and open to interpretation.

You're interpreting the chart wrong. It means exactly what Nielsen says. The totals add up to much more than 100%, which means respondents could select more than one answer. The "Smart phone other than iPhone" indicates the TOTAL % of respondents who indicated somewhere on their list such a smart phone. This includes people who indicated both an Android and and an iPhone, or an Android and another non-Apple phone. But you can't just add "Androids" to "Smart phone other than iPhone"-- that's double counting.

So the chart means exactly what it says: iPhone: 14%; Smart phone other than iPhone: 12%.

You are interpreting the table in a way that is inconsistent with the way the data is presented. The labels mean exactly what they say. They are not mutually exclusive. "Other smartphone"=20%, which is the total % of respondents who indicated a non-Apple phone on their list. This number already includes Androids and Galaxies. If the responses were mutually exclusive as you assume, the totals for all responses would be no more than 100%.

John Grey

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Then all of the data is flawed.

Okay I agree with the mutual exclusive comment. Consider how they asked the question. Did they have a list of the items written down and the kids choose them? Or did they simply ask "What do you want for Christmas?"? If it is the latter being mutually exclusive doesn't matter they just didn't combine like categories because a kid wouldn't both say they wanted a another smartphone or an android.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Or to put it more simply, as long as everyone isn't required to buy one, it won't hurt people's expectations of the iPad at all.
I just mean many will not think about it (controllers), won't go looking for it to purchase. Difficult situation for the companies that make such things, only a very small percentage of iPad purchasers are actually potential customers. (or other tabs)

John Grey

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Actually what it means is that the data is inconclusive since you can't determine how people answered the question (did they select one OR did they select more)

No one is really interpreting the chart wrong since the chart is vague and open to interpretation.

I completely agree. Another good point would be that many kids cannot distinguish between a Galaxy Tab and an iPad. This has to do more with good marketing on Apples part.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

The only thing I find interesting is that people keep talking about kids as being some sort of sheep, either to Apple specifically or to consumerism in general.

Meanwhile, iPads are selling at a percent fairly well above 50 (of the tablet market) in reality, yet only 48% of kids want them, per this story. Maybe the 6-12yo's are doing better than the 20somethings here at MR on consumerism.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The only thing I find interesting is that people keep talking about kids as being some sort of sheep, either to Apple specifically or to consumerism in general.

Meanwhile, iPads are selling at a percent fairly well above 50 (of the tablet market) in reality, yet only 48% of kids want them, per this story. Maybe the 6-12yo's are doing better than the 20somethings here at MR on consumerism.

Which people are you referring to?

The data is further skewed by where they were asked/how they were asked/financial profile of the family, and so on.

Not to be a bore - but statistics like this and surveys are right up there with Analyst reports on the subject. Perhaps good for a headline - but "full of sound and fury signifying nothing"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.