Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
I just tried my att nano simcard with unlimited data on my mini verizon but it doesnt work. The signal bars is showing no coverage then att 4g signal but when i try to surf the web,safari says no connection. Anyone tried this also?

Would this even work? I thought the SIM is matched to the device via IMIE?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

You just need to update your APN settings. The APN settings are defaulted to the Carrier, Verizon in this case. If you put in someone elses sim card you need to adjust the network settings as well. There is an automated way of doing it at the website unlockit.co.nz, they have preconfigured apn profiles for all the carriers, works like a charm. I actually put my TMobile sim in my Verizon iPad 4 this morning and no problems at all.

----------

Follow up, Sims are not matched to device, they are portable and switchable. Some devices however are LOCKED to only accept the same carriers sims (like AT&T is), but Verizon ships their iPads unlocked so they work with any carriers sims.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I have read that the supply of AT&T iPad Minis may be a little constrained. That leaves me with a dilemma. If all that is available tomorrow is Verizon, do I go ahead and buy it? Or wait until I can get an AT&T unit?

I have AT&T phone service. But, I have an unlimited data plan on the iPhone 5, so I do not use a shared data plan. Rather, I will just be paying for a data plan for the iPad Mini separately. I will use it for various uses, including Talkatone (for Google Voice - as a primary phone). I live in a major city so coverage is unlikely to be a major issue.

Anyone else have experience with choosing between AT&T and Verizon in this context? Opinions?

I would get whichever one is available.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
You just need to update your APN settings. The APN settings are defaulted to the Carrier, Verizon in this case. If you put in someone elses sim card you need to adjust the network settings as well. There is an automated way of doing it at the website unlockit.co.nz, they have preconfigured apn profiles for all the carriers, works like a charm. I actually put my TMobile sim in my Verizon iPad 4 this morning and no problems at all.

----------

Follow up, Sims are not matched to device, they are portable and switchable. Some devices however are LOCKED to only accept the same carriers sims (like AT&T is), but Verizon ships their iPads unlocked so they work with any carriers sims.

Used the unlockit.co.nz but the att nano sim still has no signal in a verizon mini. tried my t-mobile nano sim and it has signal and internet works.

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008

----------

Good to now but doesn't this violate the TOC and risk having AT&T(or some other carrier) terminating your contract?? I wouldnt want to risk my unlimited iphone data plan...

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
You're 1st and foremost deciding factor between AT&T vs Verizon should be coverage..... check the maps for LTE and make sure you live in area that will benefit from it.

Everything else is secondary...my personal choice would be Verizon , after checking coverage. the high end data plans are better (10GB month), plus tethering etc.

Txjole

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
I faced the same problem days ago. Factors that kept me with AT&T was wife's Mary Kay 18% off discount and unknown coverage at our lake house. I know att is par there but have no clue what Verizon is like.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Should I cancel my AT&T preorder and try my luck in store for a Verizon?

The fact that my area has Verizon LTE while I have to settle for AT&T's 4G is giving me second thoughts. Plus the free tethering with Verizon. I can see that really coming in handy a lot.

My area did not have Verizon service when the iPhone 5 dropped. Now that it does, I'm faced with this dilemma. I heard that Verizon has great coverage but spotty service. AT&T is the other way around. I just don't know.

Last edited:

Dk43086

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Arkansas
I became impatient and got the Verizon mini today. My order for the AT&T mini delivery date is Dec 10. I hope I don't regret getting Verizon. My phone is At&T. I live in AR. Anyone else from AR?

I'm in the same boat here in Little Rock, LTE just went live for att here and is great! Just checked the apple store in the promenade and they have the verizon model so i might just get that tomorrow morning....:confused:

jason1466

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
After a lot of searching and not finding the answer, I have found that Apple (both Sales and Tech Support) and AT&T (International Support) lie to us loyal customers. My Ipad mini AT&T bought from Apple.com IS UNLOCKED, just like the previous ipads. I took it to a T-Mobile store today and after activating via WiFi, the SIM worked and showed T-mobile as the carrier. All I intend to use this for is when travelling overseas, but they make you feel like this is a crime, this is just sad. Funny thing is that AT&T customers are actually ordering Verizon ipads because of this lie. So what are they gaining here. Glad to spread the word. Hope it helps the next guy or more. Too bad it will actually help AT&T at the same time :).

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
After a lot of searching and not finding the answer, I have found that Apple (both Sales and Tech Support) and AT&T (International Support) lie to us loyal customers. My Ipad mini AT&T bought from Apple.com IS UNLOCKED, just like the previous ipads. I took it to a T-Mobile store today and after activating via WiFi, the SIM worked and showed T-mobile as the carrier. All I intend to use this for is when travelling overseas, but they make you feel like this is a crime, this is just sad. Funny thing is that AT&T customers are actually ordering Verizon ipads because of this lie. So what are they gaining here. Glad to spread the word. Hope it helps the next guy or more. Too bad it will actually help AT&T at the same time :).
What speeds are you getting with the T-mobile sim? My unlocked iPhone 4 on T-mobile is getting up to 8mbs. I would suspect the mini will be much faster.

Aerocare

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
An AT&T sim will not be able to get LTE on the Verizon model. However, the full HSPA+ 3.5G will work, as will Tmobile and their 42MB/s HSPA, once they fire up 1.9Ghz in your area.

I don't see LTE any time soon in my neck of the woods since AT&T is still using EDGE here. So if I understand correctly I can get today both T-Mobile 3G and AT&T 3G (when I drive to the next town) right now on the Verizon iPad Mini, am I correct?

awb

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I am very happy with my ipad mini. Verizon seems to work fairly well in the rural areas. I only hope that if I decide not to have continuous cellular service that I can shut if off without Verizon killing my sim card.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I have a Verizon iPad 3, but using an AT&T SIM (due to having the grandfathered unlimited data plan), and running iOS 5.1.1.

What I've read, and have done, to get this to work is to go to Settings, General, Reset. Choose "Reset Network Settings" and "Subscriber Services."

Not sure if having iOS 5.1.1 or 6 makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Aerocare

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Well I ended up buying a 32GB iPad Mini with Verizon sim at Best Buy. Got a 10% military discount so it wasn't so bad at $503.00.

All I did was cut my T-Mobile sim card and it connected very fast roaming on Cellular One. It was also an old T-Mobile sim card so I was worried it wouldn't be thin enough but that wasn't an issue, it went it easily.

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
I ordered an AT&T 16gb mini for my girl for Christmas, then got myself a Verizon 32gb mini for myself. Anyway, since I put data on the AT&T one right away, I decided to pull the sim out & pop it in my Verizon model. So far it works great. No LTE, but I don't care. Only issue I've seen, I wanted to sign in to check my used data and it said invalid carrier. I guess I'll have to pop it back in the AT&T one to turn it off. Either way, pretty cool that the Verizon model can use either carrier.

Aerocare

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
I ordered an AT&T 16gb mini for my girl for Christmas, then got myself a Verizon 32gb mini for myself. Anyway, since I put data on the AT&T one right away, I decided to pull the sim out & pop it in my Verizon model. So far it works great. No LTE, but I don't care. Only issue I've seen, I wanted to sign in to check my used data and it said invalid carrier. I guess I'll have to pop it back in the AT&T one to turn it off. Either way, pretty cool that the Verizon model can use either carrier.

You're the person to check how fast you can still get the data from AT&T on the Verizon!

I'm sure you have the "SPEED TEST" app. First check it on he AT&T Mini and then use that sim to check it on the Verizon with the same app. My research says you won't get LTE but you'll still get the same 3.5G speeds.

Could you please confirm so we don't have to go by rumors?

I can confirm that I'm getting 3G speeds on T-Mobile and EDGE when roaming on Cellular One with a prepaid T-Mobile sim in the Verizon 32GB Mini (Cellular One in my area only has EDGE).

clborden

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Derby, CT
This one is from my house. I'll try it again from New Haven at work tomorrow. Usually a little faster down there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 120

chedv

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Well I ended up buying a 32GB iPad Mini with Verizon sim at Best Buy. Got a 10% military discount so it wasn't so bad at $503.00.

All I did was cut my T-Mobile sim card and it connected very fast roaming on Cellular One. It was also an old T-Mobile sim card so I was worried it wouldn't be thin enough but that wasn't an issue, it went it easily.

Just curious, what Cellular One are you on? I'm in southeastern IL and use cellular one on my iphone. We just got 3G or 4g as they are marketing it.

Aerocare

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2010
Just curious, what Cellular One are you on? I'm in southeastern IL and use cellular one on my iphone. We just got 3G or 4g as they are marketing it.

Cellular One in East Texas. Owned by Chinook Cellular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.