Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malahierba

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I just called 611 and I spoke to a representative who informed me that with my unlimited plan it will take anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks from Nov. 9 for FaceTime to be available under my plan. My other option was to change to an unlimited plan for FaceTime to become active right away. I choose to wait and keep my grandfather plan. Hopefully AT&T won't take 10 weeks!

[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AT&T appears to be quietly extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular capabilities to all their iPhone customers. Earlier this month, AT&T announced that they would allow any customer "with an LTE device" on a "tiered data plan" to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature.

This, however, excluded a number of customers, including those with grandfathered unlimited data plans as well as those with the iPhones 4S. (Note, iOS 6, itself, can only supports FaceTime-over-Cellular on the 4S, 5 and iPad 3rd Gen or higher)

Tonight, Forum user kre62 noticed that both his iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with unlimited AT&T data plans now support FaceTime over cellular.This finding has been confirmed by a number of users in this discussion thread -- though some users have been unable to activate it so it may still be rolling out to some areas. AT&T had said the original rollout for tiered plans could take 8-10 weeks. Most of the positive responses have been those with the iPhone 5 and grandfathered unlimited data, but the original poster also had luck with an iPhone 4S.

Some users have had to completely restart their phones for the service to go into effect. There still remains a possibility that this is an oversight on AT&T's part. We are reaching out to AT&T for clarification on their policy.

Article Link: AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers

Bigtenor

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Facetime

Well I had to do a hard restart 2 times and it worked for me... I am in San Antonio TX

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
I just rebooted my 4S running 6.01 and can confirm Facetime over cellular is working in Western NY. I don't have unlimited, but do have the 3GB plan with AT&T. Thanks AT&T!

juanomatic

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
New York City
It was working this morning on my unlimited iPhone five, but no longer works tells me to contact AT&T. So perhaps it was a mistake they took it away?

----------

In NYC by the way

I had the same. I activated it this morning and had it working on LTE on after a soft restart. But now, it gives me the screen telling me to contact AT&T to change my plan.

I have an iPhone 5, unlimited LTE plan, and live in NYC.

I really hope they didn't taketh away.

----------

No one seems to be checking carrier version...

Worked for me in NYC this morning but not anymore

Using AT&T carrier version 13.0.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I had the same. I activated it this morning and had it working on LTE on after a soft restart. But now, it gives me the screen telling me to contact AT&T to change my plan.

I have an iPhone 5, unlimited LTE plan, and live in NYC.

I really hope they didn't taketh away.

----------

Worked for me in NYC this morning but not anymore

Using AT&T carrier version 13.0.

Stopped working for me. NYC unlimited.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I just called 611 and I spoke to a representative who informed me that with my unlimited plan it will take anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks from Nov. 9 for FaceTime to be available under my plan. My other option was to change to an unlimited plan for FaceTime to become active right away. I choose to wait and keep my grandfather plan. Hopefully AT&T won't take 10 weeks!

I think you mean change to a limited plan.

kimjwoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
LTE required?

I got FT going here in Denver. Perhaps you need to be one of the limited ATT LTE markets for it work?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
No go here in either, not really concerned over it.

What I am confused about though, why does the iPad have a Facetime app and the iPhone doesn't?

TxLee

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
Been trying all day to get it to work. Finally got it to work.

Central Texas, iPhone 5 ios 6.0 grandfathered unlimited

Update: was working when first rebooted, was able to toggle the FaceTime on/off in both the General>Cellular Settings and in the General>FaceTime settings. Once again getting the blue dialog box.

Last edited:

auriconis

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
NJ
Nope

Tried restarting, and even resetting network settings. Comes up then changes to off and gives the blue box to call AT&T. Pathetic on AT&T's part.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Mine was working earlier and I even tested it out but now its not and saying that I need a special plan. How simple could this be? Instead ATT has to screw over their customers and the phone that saved them from bankruptcy.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So it is a backend change (for those that have it working with the same carrier version as those that don't). Too bad they seem to be either catching on, or having tech issues applying the change.

macguy1224

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I've had in enabled all day, but I just tried it now over cellular. It states "no network connection," even with 3 bars of LTE. It works like a charm on WiFi. I hate you so much AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.