Conflict With The Apps Theme - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

View Poll Results: Which Theme?
Mine 5 100.00%
Colleague's 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:03 AM   #1
loon3y
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Conflict With The Apps Theme

im having a conflict over the theme of our app with a colleague,


we're making a dress app, and i want it to look elegant, nice, simple, and clean, and something girls would like, its not overly girly because obviously im not a girl, but i think my background would appeal to women alot more than my partners


my colleague, wants the app to look unique, which in turn looks horribly disgusting and tacky. like i an downloaded this app, without considering the functionality, if it looks tacky, its almost clear to assume that its a tic tac app that isnt dependable.


here are the screen shots, tell me which looks better, i pretty much think is a no brainer.


heres the one i want






and heres my colleague's


__________________
AppleLife
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 5/S 64GB, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad Air 16GB, iPad 3 16 GB Wi-Fi, iPad 2 16 GB Wi-Fi, Apple TV 3
loon3y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I agree that your colleague's design is "horribly disgusting and tacky". Your one is clearly the better of the two, but having said that it does look perhaps a little plain and understated. Maybe you can find a way to add a bit more brightness and character to it without making it look tacky and unfashionable!
Reason077 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:29 AM   #3
loon3y
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
I agree that your colleague's design is "horribly disgusting and tacky". Your one is clearly the better of the two, but having said that it does look perhaps a little plain and understated. Maybe you can find a way to add a bit more brightness and character to it without making it look tacky and unfashionable!



yes well initially, my version was the first one, and since he wanted to put more "character" to is since it was too simple.


i told him to lets just use this till we find a better theme and such.


my theme is already on the appstore, and i feel like if we upload a new version with that ugly theme, i feel like its going to discourage people of using it and have the customer (that we made the app for) is going to complain since its so ugly
__________________
AppleLife
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 5/S 64GB, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad Air 16GB, iPad 3 16 GB Wi-Fi, iPad 2 16 GB Wi-Fi, Apple TV 3
loon3y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
jnoxx
macrumors 65816
 
jnoxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Also, i'd recommand, if you're going custom style on the nav bar, why not on the tab bar? Would go great with it.. Not that big fan of the "dotted-background" thing though.
__________________

iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPhone 3G,4,5, iMac 24", Mac Mini Last gen, Macbook Pro Retina with Dell U2711
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoxx View Post
Also, i'd recommand, if you're going custom style on the nav bar, why not on the tab bar? Would go great with it.. Not that big fan of the "dotted-background" thing though.
Or even better, get rid of the tab bar and replace it with some sort of custom navigation.

Tab bars waste so much screen space - which could otherwise be used to show off your client's products - and IMO 99% of the apps that use tab bars would actually be simpler and more usable without them.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Your theme is much better. Its cleaner and simple. His version would be a definite downgrade.

Is the coloured bit in his style your logo?
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
#1 is definitely better.

Having said that, neither is particularly good looking.

A few things I would do if I were focusing on making the visuals better:

The first two tab icons don't make much sense to me. The third makes some sense, but it's cluttered and ugly.
1 - I would suggest replacing the first icon with a clock or something else that says "These items are new"... the current icon says "This is where you keep notes for yourself."
2 - Second one should be a star. The current icon says "This is where you tell your friends about things you find."
3 - Simplify the icon. Maybe replace it with just a lone folder that's roughly the same size as the other tabs.
4 - I'd probably swap tabs 1 and 2 around... it seems like people are generally more interested in what's popular than what is new.

Or maybe just get rid of the tab bar altogether and find a different thing to do.

Certainly the tab bar should use a light color like in Pinterest if you're going to use a light color everywhere else.

5 - Every picture should have the same color background. Make it more seamless.
6 - Don't cut off at the ankles on any pictures.
7 - If those middle icons are buttons, I'd suggest making them look more like buttons... possibly give them some texture that says "Hey, something happens when you touch me." Although maybe it'd obvious enough already.
8 - Get rid of the numbers on top of the pictures. Do they serve a purpose? Can that purpose be served elsewhere? I imagine when you tap the icon, it'll take you to a details page. That number might go on the details page. I see no reason for it to go in the galleries.

Oh, and regarding adding color, I disagree. The products should be what gets user attention - the UI shouldn't draw any attention to itself. Except maybe branding... although even then, I think branding is best kept to a minimum.
__________________
Battery Status - On the Mac App Store
The only app that'll estimate when your wireless devices will need their batteries changed.
Including the ones paired with other Macs on your network.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:40 PM   #8
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
7 - If those middle icons are buttons, I'd suggest making them look more like buttons...
Are you referring to the "refresh" and "search" icons? If so, I agree.
__________________
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:52 PM   #9
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Are you referring to the "refresh" and "search" icons? If so, I agree.
No, but I meant to mention that elsewhere in my list. I was referring to the pictures of girls in dresses. The rounded border already suggests it but I think some kind of 3D effect might make it more obvious. Maybe not though - the built in photos gallery already just uses a grid of thumbnails, so maybe that's enough to say "I'm more than a picture - you should touch me."
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:45 PM   #10
MattInOz
macrumors 68030
 
MattInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Have to agree with most the others here, yours is closer to a nice answer. Neither really jump out and scream Fashion App though. The language just doesn't seem right or the iconery that goes with them. It just don't seem to play to how girls talk about fashion/clothes. Check out some of the fashion blogs like The Sartorialist or similar.

ie. If collections refers Designers and labels then I don't get a shopping basket. Would think some think like a signature or a stitched label.

Also think of the viral marketing you can get. Girls will show friends a new dress they are thinking of buying and talk about it and options. You want to make that really really easy for them to do with your app. That way all the friends get to see your app and how good it is. Maybe first tab is the wishlist collection instead of new so they can always open app hit first tab.
__________________
There is no such thing as "Collective Wisdom"
[ iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, 13" MacBookPro 2.7Ghz, 27"Al iMac i7, Black MacBook 13"]
MattInOz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:59 PM   #11
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
If both of you are primarily coders/programmers, then you're scr*wed. Hire an art director/designer with a track record in the fashion industry and let them design the look and UI theme for your app.
firewood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:00 PM   #12
loon3y
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
damn thanks for all the great feedback, didnt think id get this many good suggestions/advices


im thankful for every reply

__________________
AppleLife
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 5/S 64GB, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad Air 16GB, iPad 3 16 GB Wi-Fi, iPad 2 16 GB Wi-Fi, Apple TV 3
loon3y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:17 PM   #13
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sea of Tranquility
Quote:
Originally Posted by loon3y View Post
im having a conflict over the theme of our app with a colleague,


we're making a dress app, and i want it to look elegant, nice, simple, and clean, and something girls would like, its not overly girly because obviously im not a girl, but i think my background would appeal to women alot more than my partners


my colleague, wants the app to look unique, which in turn looks horribly disgusting and tacky. like i an downloaded this app, without considering the functionality, if it looks tacky, its almost clear to assume that its a tic tac app that isnt dependable.


here are the screen shots, tell me which looks better, i pretty much think is a no brainer.


heres the one i want


Image



and heres my colleague's


Image
Needs more pink
__________________
.
CodeBreaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:47 PM   #14
MattInOz
macrumors 68030
 
MattInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBreaker View Post
Needs more pink
What the cell selection highlighting isn't enough pink?
__________________
There is no such thing as "Collective Wisdom"
[ iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, 13" MacBookPro 2.7Ghz, 27"Al iMac i7, Black MacBook 13"]
MattInOz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 PM   #15
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sea of Tranquility
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
What the cell selection highlighting isn't enough pink?
I should see pink even before selecting a cell! Bonus points for daises and butterflies!
__________________
.
CodeBreaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:31 AM   #16
loon3y
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
#1 is definitely better.

Having said that, neither is particularly good looking.

A few things I would do if I were focusing on making the visuals better:

The first two tab icons don't make much sense to me. The third makes some sense, but it's cluttered and ugly.
1 - I would suggest replacing the first icon with a clock or something else that says "These items are new"... the current icon says "This is where you keep notes for yourself."
2 - Second one should be a star. The current icon says "This is where you tell your friends about things you find."
3 - Simplify the icon. Maybe replace it with just a lone folder that's roughly the same size as the other tabs.
4 - I'd probably swap tabs 1 and 2 around... it seems like people are generally more interested in what's popular than what is new.

Or maybe just get rid of the tab bar altogether and find a different thing to do.

Certainly the tab bar should use a light color like in Pinterest if you're going to use a light color everywhere else.

5 - Every picture should have the same color background. Make it more seamless.
6 - Don't cut off at the ankles on any pictures.
7 - If those middle icons are buttons, I'd suggest making them look more like buttons... possibly give them some texture that says "Hey, something happens when you touch me." Although maybe it'd obvious enough already.
8 - Get rid of the numbers on top of the pictures. Do they serve a purpose? Can that purpose be served elsewhere? I imagine when you tap the icon, it'll take you to a details page. That number might go on the details page. I see no reason for it to go in the galleries.

Oh, and regarding adding color, I disagree. The products should be what gets user attention - the UI shouldn't draw any attention to itself. Except maybe branding... although even then, I think branding is best kept to a minimum.


1. yeah thats what i've been thinking, i wanted to merge the two viewcontrollers, because it seems useless to have both and a waste of space, i was thinking merging the two and having a colored badge type thing on the top left corner of each product thats new saying "new" and renaming tab to "Whats Hot" or "Hot" with a fire icon or something.


3. i didn't understand what u said, are you talking about my categories icon?


5. this is nearly impossible, as we don't take picture. we pull the images from their database through our companies ERP program (main program), our costumers themselves have to be consistent with it. but we've told them to use the same background from now on.


7. i didn't think of it, but i would be nice, i was thinking shading or some sort of border.


8. yea i don't really see the point, but my colleague wanted it there, but i don't see the point, that product number would only be beneficial to wholesalers that buy from that company. most of the users are not going to know the product numbers at all, but the products don't have names, so i don't know what to replace it with.


and again thanks.


and yeah my colleague wanted the colors because of the brand, wanted to mach the brands color, but i dont want to make it ugly, im pretty damn sure people are not going to care if the app theme matches the brand's colors. and rather prefer a more cleaner smooth look.
__________________
AppleLife
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 8 GB Ram 250 GB HD, iPhone 5/S 64GB, iPhone 4/S 64 GB, iPhone 3GS 16 GB, iPad Air 16GB, iPad 3 16 GB Wi-Fi, iPad 2 16 GB Wi-Fi, Apple TV 3
loon3y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Tags
appstore, ios, ipad, iphone, xcode

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Winterboard on 6.1.3JB: Apps disappearing after applying theme. Krafty Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Dec 28, 2013 04:42 PM
Mavericks Conflict: Linked Spaces VS Fullscreen apps jblagden OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 24, 2013 10:02 AM
OS-neutral: Star Conflict Radoo Mac and PC Games 1 Mar 23, 2013 02:20 PM
iPhone: Help with Jailbreak Conflict Stixx31 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Feb 8, 2013 11:22 AM
IP address conflict border terrier Mac Pro 2 Feb 8, 2013 06:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC