Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Just tried the game on my rMBP with 16GB RAM.

Playing on standard settings @ 1440x900 but have to say that the performance is lacking sadly. Whenever there are a lot of enemies or a large "arena" there's quite the lag. Also theres lag whenever something is loaded in RAM, for instance when you fire your gun for the first time after loading the map. Quite annoying, windows version works like a charm @ 1920x1200 though :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Just tried the game on my rMBP with 16GB RAM.

Playing on standard settings @ 1440x900 but have to say that the performance is lacking sadly. Whenever there are a lot of enemies or a large "arena" there's quite the lag. Also theres lag whenever something is loaded in RAM, for instance when you fire your gun for the first time after loading the map. Quite annoying, windows version works like a charm @ 1920x1200 though :)

I also noticed that lag when comes when you fire the gun just after zoning.
I havent had time playing it much tho.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I also noticed that lag when comes when you fire the gun just after zoning.
I havent had time playing it much tho.

Well I started a new game since I can't play with PC friends yet and noticed that in certain places around claptraps place and the whole vicinity around hammerlocks place just plain lags; as in framedrops. Don't have those on bootcamp on much higher settings. Also the lag doesn't go away when putting the game on low.

Edit; could be my Mac though.. CS Global Offensive has microstuttering (as has Skyrim on bootcamp and BF3 as well).

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Well I started a new game since I can't play with PC friends yet and noticed that in certain places around claptraps place and the whole vicinity around hammerlocks place just plain lags; as in framedrops. Don't have those on bootcamp on much higher settings. Also the lag doesn't go away when putting the game on low.

Edit; could be my Mac though.. CS Global Offensive has microstuttering (as has Skyrim on bootcamp and BF3 as well).

It never plain lags, but as you described, a short lag first time i fire a gun after zoning and first time i open a menu and so on. Attaching opengl profiler show i have 45-60 fps rest of the time. But as said I have only played a very short while.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
It never plain lags, but as you described, a short lag first time i fire a gun after zoning and first time i open a menu and so on. Attaching opengl profiler show i have 45-60 fps rest of the time. But as said I have only played a very short while.

Mine shows a whopping 25-120..

25 when buying ammo @ hammerlocks in the beginning of the game and 120 in "dungeons"

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wow, I didn't know there were people who actually preferred playing FPS games with a controller instead of Keyboard/Mouse. You have so much more precision with a mouse, so like, why ?

I just don't like using keyboard and mouse. I'm left handed and feel keyboard and mouse controls are more geared to right handers. Besides i've been using gamepads for the last 25 years, I think I know how to use them by now.

I also prefer to game sat back relaxing, and I cant do that huddled over a keyboard and mouse.

As for accuracy and precision, I find I'm more accurate and precise with a gamepad than mouse and keyboard.

I also prefer 'analogue' control over movement. Sorry but WASD to control movement is archaic and leaves no subtlety in movement.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I just don't like using keyboard and mouse. I'm left handed and feel keyboard and mouse controls are more geared to right handers. Besides i've been using gamepads for the last 25 years, I think I know how to use them by now.

I also prefer to game sat back relaxing, and I cant do that huddled over a keyboard and mouse.

As for accuracy and precision, I find I'm more accurate and precise with a gamepad than mouse and keyboard.

I also prefer 'analogue' control over movement. Sorry but WASD to control movement is archaic and leaves no subtlety in movement.

Somehow I find it extremely funny that we go from an analogue age into a digital one and transfer our digital gamepads into analogue ones (especially the pressure sensitive buttons on ps2 were nice)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Mine shows a whopping 25-120..

25 when buying ammo @ hammerlocks in the beginning of the game and 120 in "dungeons"

I guess you haven't v-synced it.

And sambo, yes save games from windows works, you just have to copy them over manually.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

I disagree with WSAD being archaic. I think you can use the Xbox 360 controller with the game.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I guess you haven't v-synced it.

And sambo, yes save games from windows works, you just have to copy them over manually.

Fair enough, that's kind of a pain though. If one night I just decide I want to play it, I have to copy my saves over, and then copy it back to my PC. Damn.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Just looked and it is in the sale, 25% off so £22.49. I had only recently got Borderlands and was not going to get 2 till I had completed the first one, however with the combination of Mac support and sale price, I've just bought it :D

Some advice for you and others on the Steam sales.

Never buy anything until the last day unless it is on a daily special. The way the sale operates is you have discounts for the entire sale period. Selected items are discounted even further for the flash and daily sales.

For example Game A might be 25% off for the entire sale but on day 2 is available at 75% off.

Game A will be available at 25% off until the last minute of the sale. If you hold off until last day of the sale you maximise your chances of it coming up as a special.

----------

The reason you might feel more accurate with a controller is that FPS games for console use have auto aim functionality. Game designers had to design the games to do some of the aiming for you because the controllers were not accurate enough.

There was a game called Shadowrun launched a few years ago. It was supposed to have cross platform gaming. You could play against PC users on your Xbox or other controller. They dropped it as the worst gamers using Mouse & Keyboard on a PC could still wipe the floor with the best gamers on a console using a controller.

In competitive gaming - the gamers who will spend £200 on a network card to give them 0.1ms of an edge still use mouse and keyboard.

Mouse and keyboard far from being archaic remains the most efficient way of playing a FPS

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mouse and keyboard far from being archaic remains the most efficient way of playing a FPS

Sorry but I have too much of a life for competitive gaming and saving nano seconds :p

Also Borderlands is designed as a console title as well anyway and so is tailored to work perfectly with a controller and actually you can turn auto aim off.

The mouse does give superior aiming, that I will not dispute. But that's not what I meant by WASD being archaic. It's just the keyboard part that I find archaic.

The movement controls using digital are either ON or OFF. There is no subtlety in control compared to an analogue stick on a gamepad. And varying delicate degrees of diagonal input in just movement can not be achieved by WASD.

The mouse is an analogue device, it is like the right analogue stick on a gamepad are more akin to each other than the WASD on a keyboard to the left analogue stick on a gamepad.

Try playing a game like Tomb-raider with Keyboard. Where on a controller the movement tilt controls your tip-toeing, trotting, running, or sprinting. A keyboard press can not emulate that control.

Anyway its all irrelevant, games are usually tailored for both types of players so its all just subjective opinion as there is no real 'right or wrong', its just preference.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Anyway its all irrelevant, games are usually tailored for both types of players so its all just subjective opinion as there is no real 'right or wrong', its just preference.

No, FPS gamers using mouse and keyboard wipe the floor with those using a controller. It isn't subjective at all.

You may prefer to use a controller for these type of games (that is subjective) but it doesn't change the fact that you will get your backside handed to you on a plate if you play people using mouse and keyboard.

I don't deny that a controller is preferable for certain types of games (I have one myself). For FPS games like Borderlands 2 it is just inferior.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No, FPS gamers using mouse and keyboard wipe the floor with those using a controller. It isn't subjective at all.

You may prefer to use a controller for these type of games (that is subjective) but it doesn't change the fact that you will get your backside handed to you on a plate if you play people using mouse and keyboard.

I don't deny that a controller is preferable for certain types of games (I have one myself). For FPS games like Borderlands 2 it is just inferior.

Which only matters if 1, i was competitive (i'm not) 2, had any care to play multiplayer (I don't) 3, did not feel utterly hindered when playing via keyboard and mouse (I do)..

period....

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Which only matters if 1, i was competitive (i'm not) 2, had any care to play multiplayer (I don't) 3, did not feel utterly hindered when playing via keyboard and mouse (I do)..

period....

Exactly. I do not play FPS with controller, but a lot of people do.
Take f.ex Battlefield 3, it sold 3x more console copies than PC versions, so controller is viable, wether you like it or not.

However the point is that the game does not work with controllers, which is a shame.

However it seems like this happens way too much on mac. So far only Feral is taking the effort to make controllers work on OSX. Even Driver:SF for mac doesn't support controllers, and that is a driving game which is far better with a controller (imo).

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Exactly. I do not play FPS with controller, but a lot of people do.
Take f.ex Battlefield 3, it sold 3x more console copies than PC versions, so controller is viable, wether you like it or not.

However the point is that the game does not work with controllers, which is a shame.

However it seems like this happens way too much on mac. So far only Feral is taking the effort to make controllers work on OSX. Even Driver:SF for mac doesn't support controllers, and that is a driving game which is far better with a controller (imo).

I'm not disagreeing with you that you can play an FPS with a controller. What I am disputing is that it is better. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is incorrect. My Mac copy of Borderlands 2 works perfectly fine with my 360 controller. It is exactly the same as when I played it on Bootcamp.

How ? I do not even get the option for controller ?

What drivers are you using for the 360 controller ? I have tattiebogle installed but still no luck :(

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
This is incorrect. My Mac copy of Borderlands 2 works perfectly fine with my 360 controller. It is exactly the same as when I played it on Bootcamp.

In that case that is good news (for those wanting to do that).
Did you use wired or wireless? Installed any third party drivers or none?

I just tried mine, which is a PS3 3rd party one, which works with most games on PC, but not so many in osx tho, so if they have added xbox controller and not generic controller support it won't work.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
OK I think I may have got somewhere on this, from people with problems on STEAM forum

It appears to have it's own built in driver for wired 360 controller on mac, but if you have any other driver for the 360 (most commonly tattiebogle) then they nullify each other.

I've just manually uninstalled all traces of tattiebogle and I'm now in the process of re-downloading borderlands 2 from steam.

Will let you know what happens... :)

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
It is a wired 360 controller.

I did not do anything special. I've had the controller plugged into my iMac for a while now because I use it in Bootcamp/Parallels often. I just started playing!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It is a wired 360 controller.

I did not do anything special. I've had the controller plugged into my iMac for a while now because I use it in Bootcamp/Parallels often. I just started playing!

Yep it's because you did nothing it worked. typical ;)

Will hopefully have mine working now after this has finished downloading again.

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Meh, got fed up with the bad performance on the rMBP and uninstalled the game. Will play in on windows again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.