Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often you need to speak from a noisy place?

• Total voters

sergiozambrano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Since the noise reduction FAILS when the phone is NOT against the ear, EVERY call I had since my new iPhone 5 I got a "I can't hear you".

Apple's official response is: "use the speaker function, the earbuds or a bluetooth device".

In other words: "This is our super-cool new microphone (system) so use it as we tell you" It works worse than a 70 years old microphone, but hey! it helps your caller to understand your words when you are in a noisy place!

Super cool!

Now, this is the list of things a 10years old phone can do but you can't while in a call in an iPhone5:

• Separate the phone from your ear to let it cool
  • Give someone a number from your agenda
  • Give someone directions from your map
  • Read out loud an email or message
  • rest your arm's position by rising the phone's bottom
  • Look at your phone and insult your caller
  • Turn on the volume
  • Add a call while speaking
  • Checking the time in the phone
  • …or checking the signal bars!
  • Speak while lying on bed (really, try it!)
  • …and basically any other scenario you are not aware of, but yet you actually hold your phone in ANY other position other than both a) your ear against the speaker AND b) your mouth next the FRONT of the phone (and that the voice comes from below up, so it's greatly better listened by the lower mic's guts than the back mic)

So you have an agenda!, but can't read on-loud. You have a map, but can't share directions. You have email in your phone!, but you can't tell anybody.
You have a phone with noise canceling, but it cancels your own voice. You have a proximity sensor and it can't tell the phone you are far from it, and thus the noise canceling WILL FAIL.

Ridiculous.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20204125#20204125

Last edited:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I've had no issues with the calling feature. I could speak on speaker from 10 feet away and they could still hear me perfectly.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
OP, i have no idea what you're talking about. I have no such issues with calls. people tell me all the time, especially when i first got my 5 that i sound amazing. I can do all of the things you mentioned you can't, and then some. Regular earpiece or speaker phone.

you might want to get your phone/voice/head/ears checked out.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Confused.

Find it odd that you're like the ONLY person with this complaint? Maybe yours is broken, return it. Or you're broken. One or the other.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Since the noise reduction FAILS when the phone is NOT against the ear, EVERY call I had since my new iPhone 5 I got a "I can't hear you".

Apple's official response is: "use the speaker function, the earbuds or a bluetooth device".
So you never hold the iPhone 5 to your ear for a call and you've never used the speaker function? Sounds like an operator issue to me. That's what the speaker function is for. If you want privacy while not holding it to your ear Apple has provided options as well.

If it doesn't work for you, return it and get something that does. I've had no problems myself.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I answered the poll question... but I have never had any issue with the iPhone 5 while making calls. I am very happy with it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You are upset that noise reduction doesn't work in speakerphone mode? I think you need to look into noise reduction technologies, because I am quite certain they don't work the ways you seem to think they do. There is no way for the phone to differentiate between background noise and your talking if you have it away from your ear. It basically thinks you ARE background noise when you are speaking from a distance...

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Uh Oh...looks like another "Phantom" iPhone user has problems. I'd post this on a non-iPhone site, you'll get more positive/favorable replies.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
The poll title has nothing to do with the OP's post. This thread is a fail.

----------

The OP has been complaining about his iPhone 5 since at least November 2nd, but does nothing. Does not return it, does not exchange it, but whines about it as if his whining will somehow fix it. :rolleyes:

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California

In other words: "This is our super-cool new microphone (system) so use it as we tell you" It works worse than a 70 years old microphone, but hey! it helps your caller to understand your words when you are in a noisy place!

Super cool!

Now, this is the list of things a 10years old phone can do but you can't while in a call in an iPhone5:

• Turn on the volume
  • …and basically any other scenario you are not aware of, but yet you actually hold your phone in ANY other position other than both a) your ear against the speaker AND b) your mouth next the FRONT of the phone (and that the voice comes from below up, so it's greatly better listened by the lower mic's guts than the back mic)

So you have an agenda!, but can't read on-loud. You have a map, but can't share directions. You have email in your phone!, but you can't tell anybody.
You have a phone with noise canceling, but it cancels your own voice. You have a proximity sensor and it can't tell the phone you are far from it, and thus the noise canceling WILL FAIL.

Ridiculous.

so you are upset that you cant do any of those things while you are holding the phone up to your ear? What phone allows that? do you know people with eyes right by their ears?

----------

The poll title has nothing to do with the OP's post. This thread is a fail.

----------

The OP has been complaining about his iPhone 5 since at least November 2nd, but does nothing. Does not return it, does not exchange it, but whines about it as if his whining will somehow fix it. :rolleyes:

Im thinking he has a roulette wheel with random iPhone 5 complains he found on the net and then spins it and makes a post about it.

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
so you are upset that you cant do any of those things while you are holding the phone up to your ear? What phone allows that? do you know people with eyes right by their ears?

----------

Im thinking he has a roulette wheel with random iPhone 5 complains he found on the net and then spins it and makes a post about it.

No, he's saying that when he pulls the phone away from his ear (and that list is all the ways/reasons you might pull your phone away from your ear), then the noise cancelling function of the phone cancels out his voice.

I've not noticed this problem, but then again, talking on my phone occupies the least proportion of my phone usage, I don't usually do a lot of things that are on that list when I'm on a call (I generally keep it on my ear or turn on speakerphone), and usually when I'm talking on the phone I'm commuting and using my car's integrated bluetooth. I'll test it out on my next phone call. I'm curious.

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
ahhh ok. Then im still confused. In what situation would you take the phone away and not use speaker/bluetooth/headset?

Did you not read the OP? LOL There was a list. And then a summation of the list. Reading comprehension, anyone? :rolleyes:

I don't do it often, but there have been times when I pull my phone away from my ear without using speakerphone, for example, to give the caller a phone number that is in my phone. I don't think I've done that yet on the iPhone 5 so I can't reply that I have or haven't had the same issue. Are people just playing dumb to try and pretend like there's not a problem? Has anyone that replied to this thread actually tried to replicate the issue exactly?

OP: I think if you tried stating your issue impartially instead of accusatory, aggressively, and sarcastically, you might get a more impartial response. Also, having it happen on two phones doesn't mean it's happening to every single one.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
When I read threads like this I really, really miss the down vote button...

I don't have any problems with using my phone correctly.

----------

Did you not read the OP? LOL There was a list. And then a summation of the list. Reading comprehension, anyone? :rolleyes:

I don't do it often, but there have been times when I pull my phone away from my ear without using speakerphone, for example, to give the caller a phone number that is in my phone. I don't think I've done that yet on the iPhone 5 so I can't reply that I have or haven't had the same issue. Are people just playing dumb to try and pretend like there's not a problem? Has anyone that replied to this thread actually tried to replicate the issue exactly?

Why would we? I understand how the noise canceling features work and use my phone accordingly.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California

OP: I think if you tried stating your issue impartially instead of accusatory, aggressively, and sarcastically, you might get a more impartial response. Also, having it happen on two phones doesn't mean it's happening to every single one.

I read it just fine. I just couldnt understand how he couldnt do any of those things as when I use the phone and its not up to my ear, Its usually connected or on speakerphone. It never occured to me to not put it on speakerphone because I would like to be able to hear the person talking to me and so they dont have to yell.

The list and post he made sounds exactly like a list of made up complaints baout a situation that I dont think anyone has honestly been in but more of found something to complain about for the sake of complaining about something.

----------

also, so I dont start another thread, the iPhone 5 doesnt work as snow shoes. I tried. I cant believe a phone this advanced cant do what something that is 150+ years old can do. Horrible. :rolleyes:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
No problems here. Dial, place phone on ear, converse, end call.

Edit: I see the thread is about something else, though I can't say I've ever had the problem the OP refers to.

Last edited:

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

Super cool!

• Turn on the volume

Ridiculous.

I can do all of this, not my fault you chose Verizon

Nokaoi

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
Sounds like a Verizon user.

Give someone a number from your agenda
Give someone directions from your map
Read out loud an email or message

I can do all of these and never had a problem with my iphone 5.

Bluetooth while driving. Speaker when browsing email or interwebs. Texting directions to anyone while on speaker. I sound very clear and never had anyone say "Huh?" Whilst talking to them.

OP either has a serious problem with his phone, a Verizon user or pulling **** out his/her @ss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.