Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Fair enough-except then I guess the entire purpose of a forum like this is pointless. My assumption would be someone posts a topic either asking for help, offering up information or trying to spark up a conversation. In the case of "I don't like X because it sucks" I don't see how that would satisfy any of those purposes, other than to maybe spark up a conversation just based on agitation/controversy.

If that was the purpose, then I guess I got sucked in as well, albeit not due to me finding the statement controversial, but rather annoyed at the fact the same exact thing has been stated in what amounts to the same thread over and over and over again.

I'm also just grumpy today, so I guess I'll shut up now until I can come up with an equally useful topic to post...

I think that the "this sucks" type of thread is fine for sparking conversation... The first freaking time. The 75,000 repeat threads all complaining about the same damned thing make a forum a joke and borderline unusable.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If one returns the mini, so be it. No need to beat a dead horse about the screen, if one deems it crappy well ok. It is their money and their choice.

Thread closed as far as I'm concerned.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I think that the "this sucks" type of thread is fine for sparking conversation... The first freaking time. The 75,000 repeat threads all complaining about the same damned thing make a forum a joke and borderline unusable.
Complain to the mods and admins but the odds are low there will be any changes since site revenue is based on clicks. The sound every repetitive thread makes is cha-ching.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
And ANOTHER You're not offering up any insight other than your own 100% subjective opinion wrapped in unnecessary hyperbole (!retina != "crappy").

If it were, then the iPad 1, 2 and iPhone 1, 3, 3G, and 3GS screens are also "crappy".

Must it be explained again? It isn't all about retina. It is screen quality. The devices you list look better than the Mini.

Both are subjective, but have you noticed that regular iPad owners don't care if people think the iPad is too heavy, but Mini owners act as if someone not liking the screen somehow insults their self worth or questions their intelligence.

They have to convince themselves. It may be linked to self-esteem as this study suggests:
http://arstechnica.com/science/2011...m-of-favorite-brands-as-threat-to-self-image/

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Had the mini but in the end went with 32 GB Ipad 4

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. For me, I tried out a mini for a while and LOVED the form factor. The hardware design was amazing, perfect size. Everytime I held and used it it was pure joy. I did also use the ipad 4 and loved it as well. Sure it gets warmer and it is heavier and larger but these things haven't bothered me in the slightest.

In terms of the retina display, there really is a difference between the two, IMO, and in the end the display is what really sold me on the ipad 4 instead of the mini. For those of you who aren't bothered by the display, that's fantastic and I hope you continue to enjoy the mini.

The mini WILL have a retina display in a year or two so I have no problems with waiting until it is released. Having more screen real estate is another win for me. I've also never had any issue taking the big ipad everywhere ( I used to own a 1st gen).

The way I see it, I may have use for BOTH devices in the future, using the mini on the road, the gym, etc and then having the regular ipad primarily for home use. My girlfriend will also have the option of using one of the devices while I have the other one. But, for now, the ipad 4 is the only ipad I will use and I'm happy with it.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
For those who go with the iPad 3/4 it'll be primarily about the retina display, and those who go with the iPad mini will primarily be about form factor and weight.

I don't find the iPad heavy, but at the same time I wouldn't mind a lighter weight mini, but the screen would be a compromise I might not be willing to make.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Complain to the mods and admins but the odds are low there will be any changes since site revenue is based on clicks. The sound every repetitive thread makes is cha-ching.

Why? it is an Ipad forum that people share their opinion about Ipad and Ipad mini. If you don't like reading negative review on Ipad mini, don't read it. it is as easy as skip the thread.

----------

so is the 75,000 thread saying Ipad mini work great... This is a site that share experience. If you don't like it, don't click on the thread. Do you have a problem reading the heading?

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I've just sold my iPad 3 tonight, going to buy the Mini at the store on Saturday... whats the chances of me being able to walk out the store with one? it says 2 weeks online.

I'm slightly worried about the display as i use a rmb and iphone 5 but rarely use the ipad and love what members (in the same situation as me) have been saying.

for what i use the iPad for i think it will suit me fine, mainly when laid in bed which making the ipad3 annoying to hold.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Why? it is an Ipad forum that people share their opinion about Ipad and Ipad mini. If you don't like reading negative review on Ipad mini, don't read it. it is as easy as skip the thread.

----------

so is the 75,000 thread saying Ipad mini work great... This is a site that share experience. If you don't like it, don't click on the thread. Do you have a problem reading the heading?

Try actually reading the post I replied to AND quoted. The person I quoted appeared to have an issue with threads like this, I don't. My only issue is with people who can't read.

cbdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Ok found one huge redeeming value for the screen compared to my retina iPad: I can see the screen in both orientations without removing my sunglasses!

Still too pixelated though. But yah the form factor is amazing...

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I've just sold my iPad 3 tonight, going to buy the Mini at the store on Saturday... whats the chances of me being able to walk out the store with one? it says 2 weeks online.

I'm slightly worried about the display as i use a rmb and iphone 5 but rarely use the ipad and love what members (in the same situation as me) have been saying.

for what i use the iPad for i think it will suit me fine, mainly when laid in bed which making the ipad3 annoying to hold.

Try and purchase from online Apple Store after 10PM and select next day pickup if there's an Apple Store near you. That's what I did the first time, although I have the luxury of having 5-6 Apple Stores in my city.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Try and purchase from online Apple Store after 10PM and select next day pickup if there's an Apple Store near you. That's what I did the first time, although I have the luxury of having 5-6 Apple Stores in my city.

Well i'm at the Apple store anyway as i'm returning my rMBP because of the IR issue, in an ideal world i'll walk out with a new rMBP and a iPad Mini but we'll see..

I didn't know you could buy online and choose pick-up, i'll have to look into that, or do you mean reserve from the appstore app? (don't know if you can do that either).

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I didn't know you could buy online and choose pick-up, i'll have to look into that, or do you mean reserve from the appstore app? (don't know if you can do that either).

Yes, you can purchase online and choose to pick it up at a local Apple Store, provided that the store has the item in stock. The catch is you can only select the next day pickup option from 10PM-4AM.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

----------

For me personally, the problem is the tone of the negative nellies and nancies - it's that if you don't agree with them you're an idiot and a moron also, and they by way of expressing their negativity are better than everyone else. It's as if they derive value from contradiction of the non-constructive variety.

I also think that a whole lot of them thrive on negative Apple stuff, and I also don't believe a lot of them are credible (especially when they bathe in exaggeration and hyperbole using descriptors such as "horrid"). It's a shame as there are some people who actually have negative experiences with Apple, but they're reduced in credibility by all the trolls on the forum thriving off their negative hit and run comments.

Another iPad Mini return is just that, another thread about someone who returned their iPad mini. Ho-hum, how original.

cbdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
For me personally, the problem is the tone of the negative nellies and nancies - it's that if you don't agree with them you're an idiot and a moron also, and they by way of expressing their negativity are better than everyone else. It's as if they derive value from contradiction of the non-constructive variety.

I also think that a whole lot of them thrive on negative Apple stuff, and I also don't believe a lot of them are credible (especially when they bathe in exaggeration and hyperbole using descriptors such as "horrid"). It's a shame as there are some people who actually have negative experiences with Apple, but they're reduced in credibility by all the trolls on the forum thriving off their negative hit and run comments.

Another iPad Mini return is just that, another thread about someone who returned their iPad mini. Ho-hum, how original.

What amazes me is why you bother reading the thread and even worse why you reply and participate.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
The one thing I love about all these crazy people whining that the screen is "unusable", "terrible", "gives me headaches", etc. is that when I got mine and powered it on I was really surprised at how good the screen looked. (and yes I had an ipad 3 so I know what Retina looks like).

:eek:

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
What amazes me is why you bother reading the thread and even worse why you reply and participate.

What amazes me is that you think your opinion is so damned special that it needed its own thread instead of just contributing to one of the many others on the front page that cover the exact same topic. It is absurd that you think it is fine to pollute the front page with the same thread over and over.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Gave it a shot, found the screen so incredibly crappy. It's too bad, love everything else about the device.

You wont see a retina mini for a very long time. I am keeping mine as the form factor is the most important feature.

I will wait for the iPad 5 and then reassess but unless it drops by a pound, I'll find no value in it. If I need retina I'll use my rMBP :)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Yeah, that's the problem.

Perhaps I'm just sick and tired of the piss-poor attitudes that people feel it's not just acceptable, but really cool to espouse, especially on an Apple fan site. And perhaps those people need to be called out on all their poor attitudes so we can begin to eliminate obstacles to our collective joy.

I could stay in the same vein as your post to me, since you didn't post anything original, and suggest you simply should have gone into one of the many, many other negative nelly/nancy threads and simply post, "me too," but what I prefer to do is to simply suggest you go after the trolls on this forum who have stolen *your* credibility, and to all the earlier negative posters who stole *your* originality. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.