Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I honestly don't expect to see much of a difference in speed, but my mom was wanting a verizon iPad, and I use my verizon mini now, so it should work out well for both of us. I am glad that all of my apple products with the exception of my old iPod, will now have the lightning connector. The open box was in perfect condition. Has anyone had any experiences with best buy open box? Also, what differences should I notice coming from my iPad 3 to my new iPad 4? Thanks!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I honestly don't expect to see much of a difference in speed, but my mom was wanting a verizon iPad, and I use my verizon mini now, so it should work out well for both of us. I am glad that all of my apple products with the exception of my old iPod, will now have the lightning connector. The open box was in perfect condition. Has anyone had any experiences with best buy open box? Also, what differences should I notice coming from my iPad 3 to my new iPad 4? Thanks!

you have both do you not. Surely you can make the conclusions of what is different yourself:confused:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Best Buy open box never an issue. Bought several things open box and as long as everything is there should be no problem. Same warranty applies. Should not see a visible difference between the 2 iPads. iPad 4 will be slightly faster.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP: You'll notice a significant performance increase and looking at the listed differences they will be better (forward facing camera, etc.).

I've bought a BB open box iPhone case which is an entirely different critter. Because the iPad has no moving parts, if it works and isn't physically damaged then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it open box.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad 4, to me, seems like apple's attempt to covert 30 pin to lightning cable only.

Toss in a little better front camera and called it an update. I doubt A6X will have significant different in graphic or speed.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012

you will notice following changes

in Screen

Both the iPad 3 and the iPad 4 come with Apple's Retina display. Although "only" packing 264ppi, unlike the iPhone 5's 326ppi, the iPad's still have market-leading screens.

in Camera

Apple might not have upgraded the screen, but it did upgrade the front-facing camera. The iPad 3 came with a 0.3MP standard definition offering, whereas the iPad 4 makes full use of the Retina display for video chatting with a 1.2MP HD camera.

in Processor

Building upon the iPad 2, the iPad 3 comes rocking a dual core A5X processor, with a quad core GPU. However, the iPad 4 packs Apple's latest A6X processor, which Apple says "doubles the performance of CPU tasks.
"
in Battery

The iPad 4 comes with a battery that lasts up to 10 hours, but so does the iPad 3. Don't think that this is a bad thing though, we noted in our iPad 3 review that despite the high-resolution retina display, the battery life was "more than acceptable."

in OS

Apple's latest operating system, iOS 6, was recently launched alongside the iPhone 5, so unsurprisingly it's also featured on the iPad 4. The iPad 3 launched with iOS 5.1 but is upgradeable to iOS 6.

in Price

With the announcement of the iPad 4, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the iPad 3 would be made cheaper. Apple has different ideas, with the plan seeming to be to phase out the 3rd gen iPad.
The iPad 4 comes in at the same price of the iPad 3, with the Wi-Fi only tablets coming in at £399($US499, AU$539) £479(US$599, AU$649) and £559(US$699, AU$759) for 16GB, 32GB and 64GB respectively. The aptly named Wi-Fi + Cellular versions cost a bit more, at £499(US$629, AU$679), £579(US$729, AU$789) and £659(US$829, AU$899) for the three storage options.

in Connectivity

The big difference between the two iPad generations lies within their connectivity options. The most obvious of these is the new 8-pin Lightning dock, first announced on the iPhone 5.
This is 80 percent smaller and more durable than Apple's original 30-pin offering. The other major difference is that the iPad 4 (Wi-Fi + Cellular version) comes LTE enabled. The iPad 3 did come enabled with 4G, however, it couldn't be used in the U.K. But, with the introduction of the iPad 4 Brits can also enjoy super fast mobile internet when they're out and about.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
The 4 (like the mini) also has a newer dual band wifi, which allows up to 150 mbps if your wireless router and broadband connection in general support it.

There's a couple of you tube videos comparing the 3 and 4. One shows the 4 starting up from a cold boot a couple of seconds faster, opening some apps a second quicker, and loading some web pages a fraction of a second sooner.

The other shows the 2 doing a more processor intensive photo editing app, applying filters, etc. The 4 did these tasks in half the time it took the 3.

Your mom presumably paid a fair price on the 3 and you got a nice open box special on the 4, so it was good for everyone.

OTOH, if you had a top of the line LTE iP3 and would have to take a $230-330 loss to get the same model on the iP4, it may not be worth it. (At least, that's what I keep telling myself...;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.