Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bamaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I'm selling a Macbook on eBay and the potential buyer is asking for a receipt. I've provided the serial so they can see that it's still under warranty. But is there any risk to giving someone a PDF of my receipts?

Thanks for your response.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...

I'm selling a Macbook on eBay and the potential buyer is asking for a receipt. I've provided the serial so they can see that it's still under warranty. But is there any risk to giving someone a PDF of my receipts?

Thanks for your response.

Black out your credit card number. Suppose he wants to make sure it's not stolen?

bamaster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
The receipts don't show the whole credit card number, just the last four digits. Nothing to worry there. But they do have my address and phone number.

They do have order and customer numbers. I don't mind showing these if there's nothing he/she can do with them. I also want to make sure they feel secure that the equipment is mine and not stolen.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I'm probably over cautious but these days, it's probably a good idea. I'd black out the address and phone number. I don't want someone coming to my house or trying to steal it. I'd also black out the order and customer numbers too. Who knows what clever way someone could scam service/warranty stuff with those. If the buyer questions this, tell them they'll get the numbers with the completed purchase (minus address/phone). If they don't like that, move on.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Do NOT give the receipt. No matter what you do. Serial number is enough proof. People can defraud Apple with the receipt if you give it to them.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
You can sell it to many other people. In no way would I give them any receipts. They are for your purposes only and would do nothing for the new buyer. They have the serial number and proof of purchase from Paypal (if that is how they pay) and Ebay. I know this may cost you a few dollars in bids but not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.