Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@imaam7700, looks like you did it right. I think he meant that you might have mis(typed) it when you were entering the codes. But I don't doubt that you did it all right since we haven't had any confirmations that it works.

@Queen6, if I did it by PM or email, how would I determine who was telling the truth or not? I heard your voice and concern, but I'll stick with it and see what we can come up with here. Best thing is, that Apple will fix the feature to everyone's benefit. Worst, Apple does nothing and everyone gets hacked all over the world. I don't think Apple will let that happen. ;)

Nobann

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Finally got it working

Followed this procedure (it was the first time I opened a mac).
Found that the hard drive was corrupt or wiped and cannot be accessed so I fired DiskWarrior on it... it took an eternity since it was reading block by block a 1TB hd through usb 2, finally i got it working.
Found the .lock file and tried combinations like said on this tutorial but this didnt work so I decided to bruteforce using the numbers contained on the file name and suddenly password prompt was lagging and I figured out something will happen soon ... an dthen hurraaaa
Imac booting!
PS: NOW im really curious to know if this is luck, and this could be! since this is a 4 digit pin or this file name has really something to do with the pin

----------

tell me what is the numbers that i should try plz

my to *.lock files named :

53974024.lock

and

1351295913.lock

try 5397 then 3974 then 9740 , 7402 4024
do the samething with other file and please post feed back weather this worked or no

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Excited!

@Nobann, this is exciting! Yay for you!
Can you post (or pm me) your filename and the combination that worked? I'll try and crack the algorithm they use to configure the lock files.
Your post brings new life to this thread, thanks!

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Help

Hi all,

I also have the PIN code screen.

I got the macbook pro 13 of ebay. It had a firmware password on it to begin with. The apple store reset the firmware password.

When I try and reinstall the flashing folder appears. I changed the hard drive and the same flashing folder appears.

If I hold now option then I get the option to use internet recovery which gives me utilty and all those options you would get with the recovery console, but that is where the PIN code screen appears.

Its an early 2011 model pro 13. Any ideas why I cant reinstall from the DVD? Even with a different hard drive? I hold down C when booting but the dvd doesnt boot

The original drive that was in the mac seems to be blank. When I plug in in via usb on another machine its empty.

I didnt want to use internet recovery option but it was the only thing that came up as the normal recovery console didnt work.

Any ideas would be great. I am going to use DiskWarrior and try and get the lock info of the drive if I can.

Thanks

Last edited:

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Done some digging and someone has put this on another board.

It would seem if I cant get the code of the drive I could try going back to the apple store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4144836?start=0&tstart=0

crisPNA
Re: Locked Macbook while installing Mountain Lion. Please help!
Aug 8, 2012 1:57 AM (in response to crisPNA)

Hi!

Just in case someones is interested. There are differences between newer and older macbooks. In newer models, once it's blocked you can't wipe the drive, choose another boot disk or boot from the OSX DVD. All boot options are blocked when the lock is activated. In my case Find my mac wouldn't let you wipe the macbook while locked (Can't tell if it always is like is).

I finally took it to an authorized Apple service provider and they removed the lock. Apple must be aware of the issue about older "Find my Mac" locks resurrecting while upgrading to mountain lion since they charged me no fee for the repair. Warranty was expired. They had to erase my HDD, but since I have a TM back up, it's no big deal.

For those who are trying to reset PRAM to bypass the firmware lock with no success, as I said before, you must know that only works with computers made before 2011 (not sure about the date). EFI passwords (Find my mac password are) in Macs made from that date on can't be bypassed that way. The only way is taking it to a Apple service provider with a proof of purchase. The only other way I've read about would imply a complicated process of replacing a tiny and delicate chip from the logic board with a programed new one and replacing the hard drive. Can't see why a legitimate owner would do that!!

I think Apple has done a good job with the remote lock with the new firmware!! It's virtually impossible to boot, wipe or reinstall a locked system. I don't know wether the data on the HDD would be accesible if a data thief put it in another computer. Maybe he could see the files if the HDD wasn't protected with some kind of data encryption or something.

Thanks again, Bye!
----------------------------------------------------------------

atrocityg1

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Stuck at same 4 digit pin IMAC

imac late 2011 far as i know... ram trick def does not work...

iatkos or os x86 HACKINTOSH...definetly doesnt even load...so those tricks for me are out...i too stuck my testicular fortitude in a basket, went for gusto and bought suction cups...a spudger(although i found it to be much easier with my finger tips and a lil finesse) and armed witha IFIXIT guide specific to my model...i sucessfully opened her up, exracted the hard drive which i wiped prior to it locking using the recovery partition and the internet(lion 10.7)...stuck it in my usb sata dock...and saw nothing in mac drive, not even repairable as it didnt see it as a MAC HD...now im going to use OS X in with Diskwarrior to repair like others above me in the post...see if i can obtain the lock pin...
can someone explain how this works once just to clarify, the other post wasnt clear to me...so i take the pin and start from the first number lets say for example.....

82490684.lock

so it would be 8249, or 2490, or 4906 or 9068 or 0684 ? or am i missing this part?

thank you all for your knowledge and help, hope i can get this solved...a lot of money was spent only to have it get locked by a person hellbent on watching the world burn. anyways not here to complain, thank you all.

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@music2dance2, the flashing folder is expected to appear if the original drive is replaced or wiped when the Mac is locked via iCloud. The best thing you can do is to recover the data using Warrior or Stellar Mac Data Recovery, restore it, put it into the Mac, and unlock it with the PIN as I described in the first post.
Of course you can go to the store, but some people aren't the original owners, and others do not have access to an authorized retailer.
Not sure what the "internet recovery" screen is; can you upload a shot?

@atrocityg1, you have the number sequence correct there. Did you mean my original post wasn't clear? I just now edited step 8; does it look better now? If the sequence does not work like for imaam7700, then we will wait on Nobann for his response to figure out another possible PIN combo.

Last edited:

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
@Excitewalk I was trying to reply yesterday before you posted your reply to say. I read most of the thread again properly yesterday. I could see what idesigner2 had tried what I have done so far and also tried what I had planned on doing regarding installing the OS on a new drive.

As you say regarding the flashing folder, I understand why its there now and why i just cant boot from the DVD. As idesigner2 has done quite a bit of work which failed, I wont do the same as the outcome wont be any different.

Once I try to recover the data I will post my findings. Totally understand about not being the original owner re:apple store, I wasnt sure when I went for the firmware reset but they removed it. I will try anyway cant hurt to try. Again I will post here if they help me or not.

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I've googled a pic of one of the screens once you start internet recovery. Cant take a screen shot until i get home.

But basically I believe if you start the recovery console and the recovery partition isn't there the internet recovery begins. This is on new macs only. The next screen that comes up before the one i have attached here is a dropdown box that asks you to connect to a network (wifi) once you connect (unless I assume you have wired connection) it connect with the apple servers and then gives you the recovery console via the internet.

Attachments

• 311095-lion-internet-recovery.jpg
    311095-lion-internet-recovery.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 410

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Followed this procedure (it was the first time I opened a mac).
Found that the hard drive was corrupt or wiped and cannot be accessed so I fired DiskWarrior on it... it took an eternity since it was reading block by block a 1TB hd through usb 2, finally i got it working.
Found the .lock file and tried combinations like said on this tutorial but this didnt work so I decided to bruteforce using the numbers contained on the file name and suddenly password prompt was lagging and I figured out something will happen soon ... an dthen hurraaaa
Imac booting!
PS: NOW im really curious to know if this is luck, and this could be! since this is a 4 digit pin or this file name has really something to do with the pin

----------

try 5397 then 3974 then 9740 , 7402 4024
do the samething with other file and please post feed back weather this worked or no

When you say using brute force, are you using a program for that?

**edit***

Ignore my question I mis-read what you put

Last edited:

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Ok I done data recovery on the drive and got the lock files. Using the guide and inputting the numbers in that sequence didn't work for me. I even tried backwards on a few entries.

Could do with Nobann to reply with the details he used.

ronmathews

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
@excite

Sorry buddy i have gone awol for a while my wife got mad and tossed my laptop on the wall and it died so i had to start allover with another laptop and i couldnt restore the virtual machine bcos the older one is AMD and the new one is Intel. lol but better news i was able to get mountain lion running on the virtual machine and i attached the macbooks SSD and scanned it with Stellar mac and good news it found a total of 5 partitions one EFI, 2 Macintosh Hd, and 2 Recoveries iam in the process of recovering those volumes so once done goona image them into another drive trying all the partitions and boot.. i ll keep u posted

ronmathews

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
@excite

no data on all those volumes except for one recovery partition and the efi, now iam scanning the whole hard drive for anything lost or trashed or formatted .. i know its a long shot with a SSD but u never know,.. after this i think iam gonna try again with disk warrior and disk genius and file salvage and one more shot with test disk photo recovery i hope to get some results since iam scanning the original hard drive and from mountain lion

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Upate

Ok although I knew it was long shot I figured as the apple store removed the firmware password can't hurt to try the same for the system pin, if my efforts so far hasn't worked. I made a reservation at the genius bar anyway just to ask the question, if they wouldn't I just carry on trying myself.

Got some success from them. The guy didn't remove it, but installed the OS on the drive. Maybe it's my disc, I have to purchase another, i tested to boot from the install dvd when i got home but it won't boot from the install DVD. It goes back to Internet recovery which is the same as the recovery console once loaded. From there the system pin stil appears.

The Main thing is the mac is working and hopefully won't cause any issues down the line. I have emailed the guy I got it from for any pin code he may have used on it. Just waiting for his reply.

I asked the guy in the apple store if I could reinstall the OS again or will I need to come back. He said come back if wanted to reinstall. I understand why he said that now.

I did have one more option which I may still do one day when spare funds are there. On eBay there you can pay to have the pin or/ and firmware removed. Better than a new logic board.

ronmathews

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
@excite

finally i recoverd about 500 mb of files two folders one is orphaned folder and another one is macintosh hd the orphaned folder contains the recovery disk, and i did find the efi folder which has the disk _passwaordUI.efires so now we come to reading and cracking the efires file.lol

sammyt60

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Any luck?

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with this as this MBP is a terrible door step!

music2dance2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
finally i recoverd about 500 mb of files two folders one is orphaned folder and another one is macintosh hd the orphaned folder contains the recovery disk, and i did find the efi folder which has the disk _passwaordUI.efires so now we come to reading and cracking the efires file.lol

I also saw the efi folder. i didnt recover though as it wasnt a good time, I only recovered the icloud folder. wish i had done now. but my efi password was reset at the apple store anyway.

Since then the OS has been installed, but for future ref i wish I had recovered and save those files. It will be interesting to find out if anything can be found from those particular folders aswell.

ronmathews

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
I also saw the efi folder. i didnt recover though as it wasnt a good time, I only recovered the icloud folder. wish i had done now. but my efi password was reset at the apple store anyway.

Since then the OS has been installed, but for future ref i wish I had recovered and save those files. It will be interesting to find out if anything can be found from those particular folders aswell.

if you want i can upload a copy for you to look at.. so today iam gonna try somethig else iam gonna install ML 10.8 onto a new hard drive and just gonna swap the efi partition and the recovery Hd partition from the original ssd and see if they boot..lol .. i hope it works its a goose chase though..i wish if u or excite could clarify my logic? since the system boots to a question mark folder its obviously looking for valid boot partition.. may be if we could find a way to crack the efi partition or swap the disk password file with a known password file.. lets see

sammyt60

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
if you want i can upload a copy for you to look at.. so today iam gonna try somethig else iam gonna install ML 10.8 onto a new hard drive and just gonna swap the efi partition and the recovery Hd partition from the original ssd and see if they boot..lol .. i hope it works its a goose chase though..i wish if u or excite could clarify my logic? since the system boots to a question mark folder its obviously looking for valid boot partition.. may be if we could find a way to crack the efi partition or swap the disk password file with a known password file.. lets see

Let us know how you get on pal

leminkien

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
MacBook Air Mid-2011 models

Maybe I bought a theft MacBook Air Mid-2011 by unknown man ($750 cash, yeah, it was really cheap. I never dougt. I thought he was the the original owner), and when I first possessed the MacBook Air in late 2011, seller told me the 4-digit PIN code is 2137. At that time, it worked. And I upgraded to mountain lion without any trouble. But same thing happens to me, locked mac again! I was guessing that I forgot the PIN code number so, I tried almost every number 2000~8000. Suddenly I think there will be original owner, and he locked again...:eek:

Other models(not using SSD) can mount by any SATA cable but Air's SSD won't.

I found on the market, only OWC Envoy, specifically MacBook Air Mid-2011 SSD models can mount as external HD. So, the very first article's method (Step 3) can't be work without envoy...

iMaam mentioned that every 4-digit code couldn't work and as the lastest Apple discussion that latest EFI updated mac couldn't work in the state of PIN code lock. The only way to unlock mac is physical possesion of mac 'and' proof of purchases.

My questions are
1. 'Can MacBook Air boot without built-in SSD and with external USB HD?'
2. 'PIN code is changed by original owner of iCloud?'
3. 'How about formatted HD, does it PIN code locked?'
4. 'EFI firmware update is related to the HD or PIN code?'

ExciteWalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
@ronmathews, can you send me those .efires files?
Btw, your logic seems reasonal. Let's work it out by starting with those .efires.

@leminkien
1. it won't boot from an external HDD because the locked firmware won't permit.
2. Once you unlocked it, the original owner can lock it again.
3-4. It stays locked if you format the HDD since the PIN and firmware are HDD independent.

Last edited:

leminkien

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
@ronmathews, can you send me those .efires files?
Btw, your logic seems reasonal. Let's work it out by starting with those .efires.

@leminkien
1. it won't boot from an external HDD because the locked firmware won't permit.
2. Once you unlocked it, the original owner can lock it again.
3-4. It stays locked if you format the HDD since the PIN and firmware are HDD independent.

Thank you, ExciteWalk.

then PIN code can be easily change by original user by his/her iCloud lock :apple:
Won't correct PIN code work any longer after lastest Firmware upgraded Mac?
Then I try original certificate for purchases in Genius bar in my country!
Oh! There is no Genius bar in my country:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.