Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Wife just showed me if you goto to settings > general > accessibility > invert colors you can make your phone look like a photo negative. This may have been discussed before but I couldn't find it. If it has I am sorry, but I was just wondering what was the purpose of this, seems harder to read to me.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Personally, I find it less bright and easier on the eyes when reading at night.

Some people with a visual impairment will magnify the screen and inverting colors so that most text is white-on-black, helps improve contrast.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've used it once or twice to increase the readability on some white-text-on-black-background websites.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Wife just showed me if you goto to settings > general > accessibility > invert colors you can make your phone look like a photo negative. This may have been discussed before but I couldn't find it. If it has I am sorry, but I was just wondering what was the purpose of this, seems harder to read to me.

That's because you do not have a visual disability. It's not for you!
Having said that, it's very useful as a "night mode" for Maps Navigation in the car

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i use the kindle app on my iphone...and have ALWAYS had it set with white text on a black background; find it easier to read...

Dinh

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Same. One of the features that kept me with iOS instead of jumping ship to Android or Windows Phone.

Android can do it too.
And instead of jumping through settings, it can be done in one click too thanks to Widgets.

Just letting you know.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
While I haven't used it beyond the novelty on my iPhone, I do use it occasionally on my MacBook to improve the readability of forums whose admin have had the brilliant idea of making the text yellow against a black background. If I invert the colours it makes the background white and the text dark purple, which is much more readable :)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Android can do it too.
And instead of jumping through settings, it can be done in one click too thanks to Widgets.

Just letting you know.

How? I have the Galaxy Nexus with me right now. Show me how to do it.

As for jumping through settings, I don't do that on the iPhone either. I just triple-click the home button. Much faster than any widget. :)

Dinh

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
How? I have the Galaxy Nexus with me right now. Show me how to do it.

As for jumping through settings, I don't do that on the iPhone either. I just triple-click the home button. Much faster than any widget. :)

I don't have Gnexus.
But I have SIII, and there's a widget built in in the App Drawer, called "Negative Colors", which does exactly that.
Maybe it's a touchwiz thing implemented by Samsung and not Android thing, in which case I'm wrong.

Btw it's a great feature specially if you want to conserve some battery!!
And night reading ofcourse.

Attachments

• 2012-11-24 10.49.30.png
    2012-11-24 10.49.30.png
    796.4 KB · Views: 1,972

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I don't have Gnexus.
But I have SIII, and there's a widget built in in the App Drawer, called "Negative Colors", which does exactly that.
Maybe it's a touchwiz thing implemented by Samsung and not Android thing, in which case I'm wrong.

Btw it's a great feature specially if you want to conserve some battery!!
And night reading ofcourse.

Stock Android definitely doesn't have it.

Props to Samsung for adding it, though.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
It's a handy feature for people with certain visual impairments. There are people who are very sensitive to light, for example, and reversing the color scheme usually has the effect of making most of the screen dark. It also changes certain colors that might cause issues for people who are color blind.

Reactions: Kevin the cool

blewvelvet

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Accessibility - INVERT - DARK MODE

Is there anyway to get the photo to NOT INVERT?
Or a photoshop trick to PRE INVERT your Wallpaper image to be normal when inverted?

That way I can use DARK mode all day and night.

Also helps if your partner is a light sleeper and is also a vampire that doesn't like any light in the room.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is there anyway to get the photo to NOT INVERT?
Or a photoshop trick to PRE INVERT your Wallpaper image to be normal when inverted?

That way I can use DARK mode all day and night.

Also helps if your partner is a light sleeper and is also a vampire that doesn't like any light in the room.
You can probably invert colors and take a screenshot of the wallpaper you want and set that as your wallpaper.

Alternatively you can try another trick to make things fairly dim: http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/dim-your-iphone-screen-with-a-home-button-shortcut-1663671625

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.