Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poldidak

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Equal/Better deals on Apple refurbs

After seeing a pretty healthy not-quite 15% discount ($175) advertised for the 13.3 128 GB SSD Macbook Air in BestBuy's BF flyer, I went and found a refurb on :apple:'s website for a full 15% ($180) off. Yeah, it's only $5, but it's also NOW and from the comfort of my chair!

Since I actually wanted the bigger 256 GB SSD and didn't want to fight BF crowds (plus I didn't know if BB would be discounting the 256 Gig machine 15%) I went ahead and ordered a refurbed 2012 MBA early this week and got a full 15% off that.

I didn't save anything off sales tax (MN 7.5%:() but still got the machine I want with no hassles.:D

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
What field of work are you in ?

Generally, people that use those programs don't need all of them.

AutoCAD and final cut ?

Sounds like you must be pretty smart yet you made an awful choice for a work machine a few years ago.

The computer was originally not for work as I didn't require it but as time has gone on I am using it more and more for that. I have access to clusters but it is often more convenient to run trial test with wide deltas to get an idea for how efficient and effective a program/design is, hence the need for an upgrade.

And no, I do not require Final Cut in my aeronautical work, that is for leisure, however I do require large MATLAB and CAD simulations involving potentially [>10^6 x >10^6] matrices.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Well that kills it for me. They are listed as charging sales tax (5%) for Wisconsin residents even though they are out of state. Charging me $30 tax on a Mac Mini and then giving me $25 back when I can pay the tax locally at BB and get $30 worth of reward zone credits is no deal.. I'm back to hoping for a deal from Apple but not holding my breath.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I can't stand MacMall. They always seemed to have had an attitude when asked simple questions. I once had them leave me hanging on their online chat for 45 MINUTES before I decided to just pull the plug and take my business elsewhere (Apple.com). Not interested.
Get mauled at MacMall - hehe :D

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
They really might ought to be more specific than "midnight Friday," as that would be Thursday night, which probably isn't what they have in mind.

I'm curious about your comment. How did you come to this understanding.

I would think that if I said "I'll see you on Friday at midnight" It would be clear that I meant Friday night.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Black Friday?...The name says it all. I never go outside on this day. Never mind shopping.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
Not impressed

What?!?!? The opportunity to save a WHOLE FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS ON A EIGHT HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLAR iPad?!?!?!?

I am having trouble containing the sheer unadulterated joy at being presented with such a meager savings.

Oooooooohhh.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
re: poor underfunded educational facilities.

YOU'LL TAKE YOUR FIVE DOLLAR POST-TURKEY DAY COUPON AND BE THANKFUL WE GAVE YOU ANYTHING AT ALL!

Sincerely
-Tim Cook

...and that's why he's the CEO, people.

Or you could just go with a cheaper and better alternative. At least in regards to the iPad mini.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I hope all of you who buy a big-ticket item without paying sales tax and then fail to pay use tax on said item get audited.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Its pretty annoying to see Macmall always use Original prices of products even if they are over a year old...and then just give discount today and call it a Sale.....

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Those were 3rd generation iPads, so not as great a deal as it seemed.

arn

Those third gen iPads are like molasses compared to the i4. The value just isn't there even at a lower price. The used market is going down sharply as people try to get rid of them.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Not that big of a discount. Then again, I don't expect big discounts in Apple's own Black Friday event.
By the way, does anybody know if the Magic Trackpad is going to be on sale? This is going to be the last Apple gear I will buy this year.

h0mi

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
I bought a mac mini (i7 model) at B&H and got a free copy of parallels with it. It ended up being cheaper than getting it from apple via my EPP discount.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Or you could just get a corporate EPP discount any day (typically 6% on small stuff, 8% on computers and monitors) You could shop online here, or you could just walk into any Apple Store and tell them you work for Corning and want to get an EPP discount. They don't even check your ID or ask for a business card. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.