Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussieNickuss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Hi, I'm having a couple of issues with Mountain Lion (on a current iMac as well as on an older Mac Pro) in our office working with our 10.5.8 Leopard Server (Xserve).

Mountain Lion connects to the server fine, browsing directories, copying to and saving to the file server is also all fine. The problem is with trying to copy files within the server (eg. from one part of the server to another) or duplicating files in the same folder (command+D). When you attempt to copy or duplicate, the copied/duplicated file appears momentarily then immediately disappears. It appears to go through a copy process, but the copied file never actually ends up on the server.

The work around at the moment is to first drag files to the desktop, then drag back onto the server where they need to go. This is fine for one or two files here or there, but gets incredibly frustrating when having to do lots of copying.

I know the major solution is obviously to upgrade to the latest version on the server, but some of the hardware we use (fibre and printer) don't have drivers available beyond 10.6 and the investment required to update is not feasible at the moment.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

motorboating

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Have you turned on detailed logging for AFP (or NFS, or whatever protocol you're using) and seen anything suspicious on the logs?

It's likely permissions. I've seen a raft of permissions issues when ML interacts with something that isn't ML.

Out of interest, what fibre drivers are you lacking? Those are the one thing I've never had any issues with pulling recent OS drivers for.

Printers though... CUPS maybe? I've moved a client or two in that direction and the drivers have tended to work better than the manufacturers offerings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.