Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Your comment is as worthless as the OP's for the simple reason that all one sees is the title of the thread, not the content of the first message. Or lack of content.

Well, when I read a title that says another mini return with a thumbs down Icon next it, I pretty much know what the complaint is gonna be. Lol.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Both are subjective, but have you noticed that regular iPad owners don't care if people think the iPad is too heavy, but Mini owners act as if someone not liking the screen somehow insults their self worth or questions their intelligence.

I can't speak for others, obviously.. But as for myself..

I have been relatively outspoken about the mini's display, because honestly.. I simply don't get it.

I understand that it is subjective and what is good or acceptable to me differs from what another person thinks is good or acceptable. But I guess I feel like there is a general line drawn in the sand for something to be "terrible". And I don't think this display falls remotely close to that line.

Obviously it is nowhere near as good as a retina for some tasks. And I can totally understand why someone would prefer a retina iPad.. But these people who bash the display and say it is the worst thing they have ever seen seem like they are exaggerating.

I'm typing this on an iPad Mini and I basically have a wall of text in front of my face and it looks dandy to me.

Who knows.. Maybe everyone who thinks it is terrible thinks I'm crazy.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I still use an iPad 2 and the screen on the Mini was more than adequate. I can't wait to read all the complaints when the Mini finally goes retina. You know somebody is going to find fault with it. :p

cbdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
For me personally, the problem is the tone of the negative nellies and nancies - it's that if you don't agree with them you're an idiot and a moron also, and they by way of expressing their negativity are better than everyone else. It's as if they derive value from contradiction of the non-constructive variety.

I also think that a whole lot of them thrive on negative Apple stuff, and I also don't believe a lot of them are credible (especially when they bathe in exaggeration and hyperbole using descriptors such as "horrid"). It's a shame as there are some people who actually have negative experiences with Apple, but they're reduced in credibility by all the trolls on the forum thriving off their negative hit and run comments.

Another iPad Mini return is just that, another thread about someone who returned their iPad mini. Ho-hum, how original.

A++ for your dedication to this thread. Your Thanksgiving must be as boring as mine.

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Re OP's problem with the screen - so true. I've played with a few and can't deal with the screen.

Its reading on it that ruins it for me. The pics are ok etc, but the text is bad.

I love the size though. Too bad, maybe next year.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I've got a 4 and a mini and at first I loved the mini but now the 4 is so nice to look at and do stuff on. The mini is just nice to take places but really hard to read after using a 4! I'm debating on keeping the 4 or not. I love the mini and if they would have went retina it would have been perfect so I may return this and wait for a retina min and then I think it will be perfect!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Not a Retina vs Non-Retina Post

i think there are some Minis out there with hazy/blurry screens that have nothing to do with the resolution or PPI. this could be due to anti-reflective coatings that were improperly applied which yield a hazy finish on the screen similar to the Lenovo X120e when they switched screen suppliers mid-production cycle. i wish i took a picture of what i am referring to, but i saw the same kind of screen defect on the iPad Mini display models as i did on the Lenovo X120e i used to own. at first i thought it was grease so i wiped the screen and it stayed the same. i tried a co-worker's iPad Mini and it also seemed to have a hazy screen. yet the 16GB iPad Mini i bought for my girlfriend seems fine. i think there is a QC issue with the display in the Mini and people are confusing the display defect with thinking that the resolution/PPI is to blame.

the appearance of the hazy coating is minimized if you turn down the brightness, but still noticeable. again, this is a defect that likely doesn't affect most iPad Minis but still a significant amount by Apple standards.

perhaps this is what many people are seeing, confusing it for the fact it's non-Retina and thinking that is the cause.

Last edited:

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
i think there are some Minis out there with hazy/blurry screens that have nothing to do with the resolution or PPI. this could be due to anti-reflective coatings that were improperly applied which yield a hazy finish on the screen similar to the Lenovo X120e when they switched screen suppliers mid-production cycle. i wish i took a picture of what i am referring to, but i saw the same kind of screen defect on the iPad Mini display models as i did on the Lenovo X120e i used to own. at first i thought it was grease so i wiped the screen and it stayed the same. i tried a co-worker's iPad Mini and it also seemed to have a hazy screen. yet the 16GB iPad Mini i bought for my girlfriend seems fine. i think there is a QC issue with the display in the Mini and people are confusing the display defect with thinking that the resolution/PPI is to blame.

the appearance of the hazy coating is minimized if you turn down the brightness, but still noticeable. again, this is a defect that likely doesn't affect most iPad Minis but still a significant amount by Apple standards.

perhaps this is what many people are seeing, confusing it for the fact it's non-Retina and thinking that is the cause.
Well I ordered mine on launch day and my Verizon so I'm sure it's just the screen. It's not bad but far from retina. But very nice to grab when heading out out of the house. Hell I may keep them both. Apple sure is smart!!;)

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
My mini screen I got tonight definitely looks nowhere near hazy but way better than expected! I am surprised considering people's comments on it. I have had all iPads too but I still love my Mini

There must be some inferior screens. I see no blurriness at all on my screen

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I have no problem with the thread. I don't find 'I found the screen disappointing' any more annoying than another 'I picked up my iPad Mini' threads. (Though sometimes it seems like people get caught in semantics more than the general message. This thread went sideways on the word 'terrible'...)

It does seem that some people feel that since this is an Apple forum, every thread should be praise Apple products and everything the company does...and that anything negative is someone who has an ax to grind.

Some people don't like the screen. Some are fine with it. Both are personal opinions made by each consumer...just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't invalidate your opinion....nor does it mean that person is wrong.

As a society we seem to be losing our respect for differing opinions.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Well, I just got a galaxy note 2 and surprise how much more I enjoy reading PDFs, web pages, and magazines on the iPad mini over the note 2. The note 2 screen is just too small to be a good general e-reader.

The iPad mini screen is more than double the surface area of the note 2 screen. iPad mini's aspect ratio is also better for reading PDFs and e-magazines.

Although there are times I do wish the iPad mini has a retina screen. Would've made reading even more enjoyable.

Galaxy Note 2 is a phone. What did you expect? I prefer reading PDFs on my excellent NEC 27" monitor. Mini might be better than Note 2 for PDFs but it's inferior to Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD and many other 7" tablets.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Galaxy Note 2 is a phone. What did you expect? I prefer reading PDFs on my excellent NEC 27" monitor. Mini might be better than Note 2 for PDFs but it's inferior to Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD and many other 7" tablets.
These blanket statements are unbelievably ridiculous. It's inferior in one regard, and if that parameter isn't of tremendous value to you, then it's not inferior at all. There are plenty of people out there who would rather have a larger viewing area and more natural aspect ratio given the choice.

I personally hate trying to read PDFs on my Kindle Fire HD. The screen is too small and too skinny to fit comfortably. I appreciate the high resolution of the display, but I can still see the pixels in text on the Kindle. I don't feel slighted by it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Galaxy Note 2 is a phone. So? I make phone calls with my iPad Mini. So?

So I can't compare the screen on an iPod Touch 5 and iPhone 5 just because one is a phone and the other lacks cellular?

We are comparing screens and readability on portable devices.

I got the 5.5" Galaxy Note 2 to replace my 7" Android tablet. The note 2 has a higher resolution than my Acer iconia 7" and my iPad Mini.

Just because the Galaxy Note has higher ppi and higher resolution, doesn't mean it's makes it better for reading. You need to considered size and aspect ration of the screen also. That was what I was pointing out.

It's a combination between size, weight, ppi, and aspect ratio when considering a portable device for reading.

I prefer to read PDFs on an iPad 4 over a 27" monitor any day. Having to sit on a chair and read on huge screens like a 27" and 30" makes my neck hurt. Text is much shaper on an iPad 4 too.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Galaxy Note 2 is a phone. So? I make phone calls with my iPad Mini. So?

So I can't compare the screen on an iPod Touch 5 and iPhone 5 just because one is a phone and the other lacks cellular?

We are comparing screens and readability on portable devices.

I got the 5.5" Galaxy Note 2 to replace my 7" Android tablet. The note 2 has a higher resolution than my Acer iconia 7" and my iPad Mini.

Just because the Galaxy Note has higher ppi and higher resolution, doesn't mean it's makes it better for reading. You need to considered size and aspect ration of the screen also. That was what I was pointing out.

It's a combination between size, weight, ppi, and aspect ratio when considering a portable device for reading.

I prefer to read PDFs on an iPad 4 over a 27" monitor any day. Having to sit on a chair and read on huge screens like a 27" and 30" makes my neck hurt. Text is much shaper on an iPad 4 too.

I simply pointed out the fact that comparing a tablet to a phone regarding something where screen size matters a lot is not very useful. Such comparisons are quite obvious.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I simply pointed out the fact that comparing a tablet to a phone regarding something where screen size matters a lot is not very useful. Such comparisons are quite obvious.

Don't be silly.

There are a number of e-readers and tablets from 5" to 6".

Hell, I even read websites on my iPhone 4S 3.5" often.

We are comparing readability and quality of the screens on portable devices.

Pointing out one portable device has cellular and one doesn't is not very useful.

I might not even use my Note 2 as a phone. It's too big for my taste as phone. It'll just be my PDA/GPS. It's replacing my Android 7" tablet. I'm keeping my iPhone 4S as my phone.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I simply pointed out the fact that comparing a tablet to a phone regarding something where screen size matters a lot is not very useful.
If comparing significantly different sizes is not very useful, then why would you do exactly that when comparing a 7.9" 4:3 display with a 7" 16:10 display? Why wouldn't you compare it to other ~8" tablets?

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Re OP's problem with the screen - so true. I've played with a few and can't deal with the screen.

Its reading on it that ruins it for me. The pics are ok etc, but the text is bad.

I love the size though. Too bad, maybe next year.
It's too bad that the minimum font size setting it not available. I found that small text is a little grainy but just a bit of zoom clears it right up. Not a problem for me me but clearly, an amusing to read, eye gouging experience for others. I bought a Nexus 7 at launch, sold my now brick like Ipad 3 waiting for the mini. Now the Nexus is gone. Very happy with the Mini, and will upgrade when the retina model comes out.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Yes, you can purchase online and choose to pick it up at a local Apple Store, provided that the store has the item in stock. The catch is you can only select the next day pickup option from 10PM-4AM.

Is this a US only thing? I've just tried but can't see it anywhere.. (UK)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Don't be silly.

There are a number of e-readers and tablets from 5" to 6".

Hell, I even read websites on my iPhone 4S 3.5" often.

We are comparing readability and quality of the screens on portable devices.

Pointing out one portable device has cellular and one doesn't is not very useful.

I might not even use my Note 2 as a phone. It's too big for my taste as phone. It'll just be my PDA/GPS. It's replacing my Android 7" tablet. I'm keeping my iPhone 4S as my phone.

5" or 6" e-reader or tablets is something I bet lots of lots may end up liking. To date, I don't know of a device with that size except the Samsung Galaxy Player and that screen is truly terrible! ;) Others may be as well up to this point.

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Can we get some sort of ban on these types of post? How about a rule that disables posts with 'Mini' and 'Screen Issue' in the title? :rolleyes:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Yeah, because censorship is always a good idea! Let's only have positive posts about the Mini.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Yeah, because censorship is always a good idea! Let's only have positive posts about the Mini.
No, the point is that you should have one thread for each discussion, not an endless stream of repeats. That would save you the trouble of posting the same comments and links several times in several threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.