Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
In terms of design - not performance. Does anyone else feel like the iPhone 4S will be the peak of Apple, Inc.'s phones aesthetically speaking? I have no doubt that Apple will continue to release better performing products - but as far as design goes, I think iPhone 4S is the peak.

I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone 5's design. I feel that it's actually a little bit too thin (never thought I'd be complaining about that) and I think it's awkwardly tall. I also dislike the the back of the iPhone 5 in terms of it's color.

Even if Apple released a transparent glass phone, I still would prefer the iPhone 4's design to it. The only thing that would prompt me to upgrade my phone at this point would be a SIGNIFICANT technological upgrade (something more than a tiny bit faster, or a tiny bit more resolute). Maybe something like the discovery of a technology that could project digital projections from your phone or something :)

What do you guys think? Has Apple reached it's peak in terms of design when it comes to phones with the 4S? Or do you prefer the new design of the 5, and think that Apple's future products will trump what we're familiar with today?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
To me the iPhone 5 is superior, and I wouldn't really want to go back to a 4/4S. So, no.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
No, the peak has yet to come (probably the iPhone 6), after they've reduce the wasted space above and below the screen on the iPhone 5 (made possible by smaller components in the future), which will allow them to enlarge the screen further and make it wider like the 3G/3GS. The 4/4S already looks squanty, not to mention having the same wasted space found on the 5.

I'd have to say the build quality of the 4/4S is superior to the 5 though.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
When the iPhone 5 came out it instantly made my iPhone 4 look and feel like outdated technology.

The weight, the chamfered edges and thin design all meld together nicely. I haven't personally met anyone that thought the design of the 4 series was preferable other than one that thought the screen was a bit long for her fingers.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I like the design of the 5 much more, especially since Apple changed what I didn't like about the 4S design. So no, it's not the peak and I'm sure there will be better designs in the future as well

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
No. It's heavy (this was a comment from my friend made in 2010 about the iPhone 4 design). And it's also thick (in 2012's standard).

----------

I like the design of the 5 much more, especially since Apple changed what I didn't like about the 4S design. So no, it's not the peak and I'm sure there will be better designs in the future as well

the 5 is so light and the change in aspect ratio of the screen to 16:9 is really great when you watch videos.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I am split, I think the black iPhone 5 looks fresher and more modern today than the iPhone 4/4S and the weight is fantastic... but there was always something classy and unique about the all glass design of the 4/4S and I think it was far, far, far, far more impervious to day to day wear than the 5.

Still, Apple had to move on and they did. I like it.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I think the 5 is the best phone design from Apple so far. It feels very well built.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
If anything the iPhone 5 looks very similar to your peak, yet slimmer, lighter, sleeker and IMO more elegant with the addition of the chamfers. So, no.

And from a personal preference it feels much better. I have large hands and the screen feels perfect to me.

jalamanta

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2011
OP, all people here buy whatever apple releases and then they justify their purchase.

The design of 5 is awkward, starting from it tallness which looks forced and ending with the back with its strange choice of colours and separation.

Placement of camera lens is also questionable, as it is not in the middle of upper backpanel.

All in all, 5 might be the worst designed apple product in the last 10 years.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
OP, all people here buy whatever apple releases and then they justify their purchase.

The design of 5 is awkward, starting from it tallness which looks forced and ending with the back with its strange choice of colours and separation.

Placement of camera lens is also questionable, as it is not in the middle of upper backpanel.

All in all, 5 might be the worst designed apple product in the last 10 years.

Lmao! Don't feed the troll guys

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I 100% agree with the OP. I hate the iPhone 5. Feels cheap and I hate the long screen. I'll be saving my upgrade for the Galaxy S IV. The 4S had an awesome form factor and design. That's why I still use it haha.

Those who say otherwise are just trying to justify their iPhone 5 purchase.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I 100% agree with the OP. I hate the iPhone 5. Feels cheap and I hate the long screen. I'll be saving my upgrade for the Galaxy S IV. The 4S had an awesome form factor and design. That's why I still use it haha.

>hates long screen
>galaxy s series is bigger than iPhone
And so if you like the iPhone 5 you're automatically trying to justify a purchase? Wow.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
The "peak of Apple's phone designs" is really a matter of opinion. Some will say the 5 is ugly, some will say the 4 is ugly, others will say the 6 is ugly.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007

I was with you until you mentioned Samsung.

You must be joking or trolling if you think anything Samsung will make will be of nicer quality than Apple.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
iPhone Liquid Metal Concept

liquid-metal-iphone-5-concept-3.jpg

liquid-metal-iphone-5-concept-4.jpg

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
The 4 design was amazing (I came to iPhone on the 4s)

The 5 made something that was already good, better.

I think the next design the screen should be a tad wider and it will be perfect.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
iPhone Liquid Metal Concept

Meh, that looks like a regular android phone...reminds me of the SIII

I love the design of the 4, and always wondered how Apple would top it. and if you ask me, I think Apple felt the the same way, which is why they didn't radically change it with the 5. Just refined it.

When I hold relatives 4's and 4S phones, I realise just how different they are compared to the iPhone 5.

My only complaint about the 5 is the annodised aluminium material, which is with out a doubt prone to out of the ordinary scratches.:( but despite its thinness and length, it still carrys a nice weight.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
The people that criticize the iPhone 5 design are those that have not used it for a good period of time.

If you use it for more then just 5 minutes you'd realize it the best iPhone made to date. No question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.