Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
kat.hayes
macrumors 6502

How safe is the Android app store?

I'm use to the App store where Apple screens all apps prior to them becoming available for download. From what I understand, anyone can upload anything to the Android app market, including fake versions of apps, viruses, trojans, etc.

1. Does Google screen any apps?
2. Is the only way to ensure you are not downloading a virus to download apps with lots of positive reviews?

Thanks.
kat.hayes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Explicitic
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat.hayes View Post
I'm use to the App store where Apple screens all apps prior to them becoming available for download. From what I understand, anyone can upload anything to the Android app market, including fake versions of apps, viruses, trojans, etc.

2. Is the only way to ensure you are not downloading a virus to download apps with lots of positive reviews?

Thanks.
If you want to learn about the process of publishing an app in the Google Play store go here: http://developer.android.com/distrib...preparing.html
Generally, most apps should be safe. Though from time to time, apps with malware and other viruses do sneak past them but this happens with the App Store too and they are generally removed fairly quickly. If you really are that paranoid, download antivirus software such as this one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.antivirus
I, personally, have never used any sort of antivirus software so I have no idea how well they work but this one does seem to work if the reviews are anything to go by..
Explicitic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:23 AM   #3
matttye
macrumors 601

All apps submitted to the play store are published immediately. There's no screening of any kind.

Google has some kind of malware scanner that removes bad apps in the store, so it's reactive rather than proactive.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:39 AM   #4
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:

Thanks.

Android malware perspective: only 0.5% comes from the Play Store

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andro...-Store_id36696
onthecouchagain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Google does not release apps in the Samsungstore at all (sorry to be so pedantic), but there is a difference in Samsung App Store and Googla App Store. Samsung App Store isn't google as much as Google is Samsung.

http://www.samsungapps.com

https://play.google.com/store

Edit: I read Android App Store as Samsung App Store - must be drunk or something .. Never mind.
Jibbajabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:57 AM   #6
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I believe Amazon curate their app store so if you wanted curated android apps, Amazon is the way to go.

You can protect yourself by always checking permissions apps have when installing them, looking into the developer's history and ratings (of their other apps too).
Edit:

Quote:
Approval Process and Content Guidelines

Q: How does the app approval process work?
Our goal is for customers to have a good experience with every app they acquire from Amazon. As a result, we may test the apps you submit prior to making them available to verify that each app works as outlined in your product description, does not impair the functionality of the mobile device or put customer data at risk once installed, and complies with the terms of the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Program Agreement and our Content Guidelines. For clarity, our intent is not to be prescriptive in terms of what constitutes good app design. Amazon is a big believer in innovation, and we hope to feature many creative and innovative apps.

When you submit an app in the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal, we will start the app review process. You can track the approval status of your app at any time by signing in to the Distribution Portal and finding your app in the Dashboard on the homepage. If we have a question about your app during the review process or determine it does not meet one of Amazon’s acceptance criteria, we will notify you using the e-mail address associated with your account and provide guidance on next steps. We will also notify you once your app successfully completes the testing process. At that point, your app will be made available to publish and merchandize on Amazon Apps.

Last edited by ChazUK; Nov 22, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:14 AM   #7
gregrose
macrumors 6502

Android app store raped my mother and killed my father!
gregrose is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:20 AM   #8
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

I trust Google that the apps in the play store are safe, but side loading apps are done at your own risk.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrose View Post
Android app store raped my mother and killed my father!
Your Mother was a hamster and your Father smelt of elderberries!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:12 PM   #10
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

I've been using android for several years and have never gotten malware. I also side load quite a few apps which is where the majority of malware is from.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Black Magic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Thanks.
If you got to ask that question, then you already know you are taking a chance. Do you ask that same question about Apple or any other store? The scary part is that most people that get a virus or compromised never knows about it until its too late.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:22 PM   #12
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Reviews reviews reviews, read them. Chances are the publisher is legit if their products are getting good reviews. I have been with android for 2 years (short compared to some) and haven't came across any naughty apps.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:28 PM   #13
cynics
macrumors 603

You'd have to just be trying to fill up the phone with random apps to get malware. I've never had an issue. There is only so much an app can really access, if you were rooted then you'd be a bit more at risk. Same applies to jailbreak, but if you aren't stupid then its not a problem.
cynics is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices