Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Closed Thread

Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1226
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
pictures should be pulled from a facebook wall or twit pic API then, not some mundane image uploader which for the majority of bands will go untouched or unupdated
I agree but I think Apple has not quite given up on the idea of Ping. iTunes is in fact the ideal place for artists to share their activities, a role once held by MySpace but is increasingly fractured among many services.

I believe Apple is trying to establish iTunes as the go to place for all music related things. You can follow your artist in your own library. That's a pretty good way to do it. I doubt Apple can beat Twitter like they tried to in Ping -- artists aren't going to update their thoughts to two or more competing services -- but with photos, there really is no well established place. Creating an easy to update photo service reserved for iTunes artists that they can share to their Twitter and Facebook feeds could become the go to place for artists to share.

Steve's genius was that he made products for himself not for the money. He loved music and his enthusiasm is missed. Eddy Cue needs to build relatioships with artists and encourage the popular ones to share photos. Their managers and promoters will take care of updating concert dates and other info, but its the personal moments in an artist's life that people like to follow and are what makes Twitter successful. If today's popular artists start sharing their day to day photos on iTunes, it's going to become big real quick amongst all the other artists trying to reach those same heights.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:32 AM   #1227
Lvivske
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
I agree but I think Apple has not quite given up on the idea of Ping. iTunes is in fact the ideal place for artists to share their activities, a role once held by MySpace but is increasingly fractured among many services.

I believe Apple is trying to establish iTunes as the go to place for all music related things. You can follow your artist in your own library. That's a pretty good way to do it. I doubt Apple can beat Twitter like they tried to in Ping -- artists aren't going to update their thoughts to two or more competing services -- but with photos, there really is no well established place. Creating an easy to update photo service reserved for iTunes artists that they can share to their Twitter and Facebook feeds could become the go to place for artists to share.

Steve's genius was that he made products for himself not for the money. He loved music and his enthusiasm is missed. Eddy Cue needs to build relatioships with artists and encourage the popular ones to share photos. Their managers and promoters will take care of updating concert dates and other info, but its the personal moments in an artist's life that people like to follow and are what makes Twitter successful. If today's popular artists start sharing their day to day photos on iTunes, it's going to become big real quick amongst all the other artists trying to reach those same heights.
but the adoption rate will be low. bands have caught on to using facebook religiously for tour photos and other crap they want to promote; in most cases they might have their web guy just upload a set of promo photos when they set the account up on itunes and just leave it there...and it will become dated and barren, like Ping

if they're going to integrate facebook (vis a vis, instagram...which is already set up to provide a feed to Apple of tour photos as they happen) do it right, and actually use the data available to have this tight, integrated experience they're obviously driving at

uploading photos separate from facebook just seems like a remnant of ping & managing a 'ping' account, just under a new name (but without the status updates nobody read)
Lvivske is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1228
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

the problem with ping was that is was separate from everything else, it's now basically integrated automatically into iTunes, like it should have from the beginning
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   2
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1229
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
but the adoption rate will be low. bands have caught on to using facebook religiously for tour photos and other crap they want to promote; in most cases they might have their web guy just upload a set of promo photos when they set the account up on itunes and just leave it there...and it will become dated and barren, like Ping

if they're going to integrate facebook (vis a vis, instagram...which is already set up to provide a feed to Apple of tour photos as they happen) do it right, and actually use the data available to have this tight, integrated experience they're obviously driving at

uploading photos separate from facebook just seems like a remnant of ping & managing a 'ping' account, just under a new name (but without the status updates nobody read)
I agree. Apple should have partnered with Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, last.fm, etc. Tie all of that data within your library in a tab instead of a simple picture gallery. Tour dates, updates that are super current, pictures from the band without having them do any extra work... all more beneficial to consumers and bands.
Reaktor5 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1230
Sound214
macrumors regular

I just discovered something to my disappointment: in the Swedish version of http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/ (http://www.apple.com/se/itunes/new-itunes/) the bottommost section (iCloud) is not there. This is also the case for Norway, Denmark, Finland (and perhaps more). This is probably related to us not having iTunes Match, but I would've hoped they've fixed it with iTunes 11. ****.

Update: I also noticed that, in the France version (possibly more European countries), they never mention the ability to sync position in movies, tv shows, podcasts, etc. with iCloud. Very strange.

Last edited by Sound214; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Sound214 is offline   1
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1231
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound214 View Post
I just discovered something to my disappointment: in the Swedish version of http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/ (http://www.apple.com/se/itunes/new-itunes/) the bottommost section (iCloud) is not there. This is also the case for Norway, Denmark, Finland (and perhaps more). This is probably related to us not having iTunes Match, but I would've hoped they've fixed it with iTunes 11. ****.
Fix what ? It's due to licensing not some bug.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:32 PM   #1232
Sound214
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Fix what ? It's due to licensing not some bug.
Yeah, of course, but somehow "fix" the licensing. They certainly can do it, it's been a year now.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1233
soulsteelgray
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound214 View Post
Yeah, of course, but somehow "fix" the licensing. They certainly can do it, it's been a year now.
Unfortunately, it's not Apple's decision. I have no doubt Apple wants to offer that feature but they can't because of the various music labels and movie studios that won't allow Apple to make their material available in such a manner.

It took Sony Music Japan several years to agree to put their artists' music on iTunes, and even now it's restricted just to Japan (like fellow label avex trax). Years.
soulsteelgray is offline   2
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1234
macrem
macrumors 65816

iTunes 10 Cover Flow is as smooth as butter on my Macs.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1235
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrem View Post
iTunes 10 Cover Flow is as smooth as butter on my Macs.
I have never used Cover Flow for more than 10 seconds. It looks pretty but as a way to browse music, it's style over substance for me.
Reaktor5 is offline   2
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1236
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor5 View Post
I have never used Cover Flow for more than 10 seconds. It looks pretty but as a way to browse music, it's style over substance for me.
Yeah, Nice in a commercial but zero practicality if you have more then 5 albums
Aluminum213 is offline   3
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1237
ekrueger24
macrumors member

I have never understood the purpose of cover flow except for its aesthetics. I've had more use of the standard album view in the current iTunes and the search feature than cover flow ever gave me.
ekrueger24 is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1238
urban19
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor5 View Post
I agree. Apple should have partnered with Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, last.fm, etc.
urban19 is offline   2
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1239
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrueger24 View Post
I have never understood the purpose of cover flow except for its aesthetics. I've had more use of the standard album view in the current iTunes and the search feature than cover flow ever gave me.
It's intended as a way to "rediscover" your music in a visual manner. At least, that's how Jobs spun it when it was demoed. Personally, the only useful implementation of coverflow is in safari. It makes it easy to quickly find a site which I've forgotten the name but can remember visually (this happens a lot to me.)
Cougarcat is offline   1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1240
Reaktor5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban19 View Post
Discovering new music with iTunes sucks and integrating something like Last.fm would be really useful especially with something like scrobbling.

Buying them wouldn't even be a blip with the amount of cash Apple has on hand.
Reaktor5 is offline   5
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:15 AM   #1241
Dunkaccino
macrumors member

Yeah, Last.fm is great and should somehow be incorporated into the new iTunes. I digg the way last.fm tracks the tunes you listen to and then displays them in descending order in a neat concise library. I've discovered many awesome artists via last.fm I otherwise wouldn't have...Apple should scrap the sonic abortion that is Ping
Dunkaccino is offline   1
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:35 AM   #1242
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Last.fm is great.

I also love how it gives you reccomandations based on every song you listen to... Not just the ones you bought in the iTunes Store...
MasterHowl is offline   2
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:40 AM   #1243
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a

I prefer spotify, my dream would be a iTunes service like spotify

But spotify has an awesome iPhone, iPad and desktop app so it's not a big deal
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   0
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1244
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Will the month long delay be worth it? This Wednesday??
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1245
Benjamin,
macrumors member

Hopefully a dark theme/look as a toggle option as well.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1246
jordancrombie92
macrumors regular

going by release dates iTunes 11 could be released tomorrow

2006 tuesday... 2008 tuesday , 2009 wednesday. 2010 wednesday 2011 monday... so 2012 should be monday?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1247
MasterHowl
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to MasterHowl
Can't believe it's finally coming in the next 5 days.

Can't believe it's been delayed for well over 3 weeks now...
MasterHowl is offline   3
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1248
Dr. James
macrumors newbie

The stress is killing me.

Dr. James is offline   4
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1249
ck2875
macrumors 6502

Surprisingly, getting an invite the New MySpace has satiated my desire for iTunes 11 at the moment, as Timberlake seems to have made an ideal (to me at least) social network with free music streaming and it's pretty much what I had hoped Ping. would be (though I am still very much looking forward to iTunes sometime this week).

Last edited by ck2875; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
ck2875 is offline   0
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1250
Pianoblack3
macrumors regular

I'm still unsure of the new version, from an aesthetic point of view. I wish I could keep both temporarily but I don't think you can
Pianoblack3 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
ios 6, ios6, itunes