Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttx336

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
This thing seems to be invincible... I have followed numerous suggestions about choosing specific titles, using the Open Specific (something like that), etc. I went to DVD player to see which title is playing during the actual movie playback, it shows title 1 but that doesn't work in ripping. I have gone to the effort of trying each and every one of the titles to no avail, even typing in the ones that do not show up when I let Handbrake scan for sources.

I'm running 0.9.8 64 bit - this is the first time Handbrake has ever failed me, it is truly a great program!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
This thing seems to be invincible... I have followed numerous suggestions about choosing specific titles, using the Open Specific (something like that), etc. I went to DVD player to see which title is playing during the actual movie playback, it shows title 1 but that doesn't work in ripping. I have gone to the effort of trying each and every one of the titles to no avail, even typing in the ones that do not show up when I let Handbrake scan for sources.

I'm running 0.9.8 64 bit - this is the first time Handbrake has ever failed me, it is truly a great program!

Have you tried ripping with MakeMKV then transcoding with HB?

ttx336

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Have you tried ripping with MakeMKV then transcoding with HB?

I have not, I am trying to keep the amount of software that I add to this machine at a minimum, I followed some advice on the Handbrake forum to try the latest nightly build and that did the trick.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I have not, I am trying to keep the amount of software that I add to this machine at a minimum
So remove it when you are done with it. I don't see what the problem is.

Haha I know! I just keep it as a large DVD image in my library when everything else has been converted to a mp4
MakeMKV does not create an image of the DVD, it just rips the content that you want from the disc. An image of the disc is something else entirely.

Last edited:

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Sure makemkv might work, but Handbrake for me, since I learned the Open Source Title trick ha been incredibly reliable. So why doesn't it work? Let's problem solve rather than take another full step.

I'm having this same problem with not only 3:10 to Yuma, but also the movie "21". One thing to note is that both of the movies start with a number, and both come up not simply as 21 but <21> when the disc is entered. Could it be the brackets holding it back? Any ideas on why this would happen?

I tried to take out the brackets on the destination file and still it doesnt rip right. For me it rips a 4kb file with 0:00 running time of video and only takes about a second before it says the rip is complete.

ThisOneHere

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Upstate, NY
Sure makemkv might work, but Handbrake for me, since I learned the Open Source Title trick ha been incredibly reliable. So why doesn't it work? Let's problem solve rather than take another full step.

I'm having this same problem with not only 3:10 to Yuma, but also the movie "21". One thing to note is that both of the movies start with a number, and both come up not simply as 21 but <21> when the disc is entered. Could it be the brackets holding it back? Any ideas on why this would happen?

I tried to take out the brackets on the destination file and still it doesnt rip right. For me it rips a 4kb file with 0:00 running time of video and only takes about a second before it says the rip is complete.

I converted both 3:10 to Yuma and 21 without issue using MakeMKV then Handbrake. If you're having issues using Handbrake directly, try the nightly build as previously suggested, but if that doesn't work, just use MakeMKV. All it does is rip the portion of the full disc you want (such as video, selected audio and subtitles). It takes about 20-25 minutes to rip using MakeMKV. It's freeware, only a few MBs, and can be easily removed afterwards. You answered your own question about brackets, since removing them didn't help. I think it's an issue with that version of Handbrake and the disc encryption type (or version of encryption) used in those movies. MakeMKV would remove that encryption, which is why that works fine.

Seems more efficient to do that and get it over with and move on with life than to waste days waiting for someone to tell you why Handbrake couldn't do it directly... Just my opinion (speaking from experience with those movies). Good luck!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
still an issue for this movie with todays handbrake
Try to rip with makemkv and convert with Handbrake.
I recommend trying MakeMKV as well for ripping, then use Handbrake for the encode.

I used to use only Handbrake when ripping and encoding DVDs, but when I started getting Blurays, I switched to MakeMKV for ripping and Handbrake for encoding both DVDs and Blurays.

My workflow, while now more steps since using MakeMKV to rip, seems more smooth with less issues. Ripping with MakeMKV first seems to be faster over all, but not sure if this this true in reality.

On rare occasions, I switch back to Handbrake for ripping a DVD when there is a problem with MakeMKV.

MakeMKV is free to try, and free for now while in beta. You can get the code to extend the trial here:

I used the free code for years, but recently purchased it. I would have purchased it a while ago, but my credit card's security flags would go nuts when trying to purchase it. They recently added PayPal, and that worked fine for me.

480p... delicious...
It isn't bad for certain content, especially older stuff.

Actually, I prefer the DVD version of some stuff verses the Bluray and streaming stuff. Buffy the Vampire Slayer tv show is a perfect example of that. The Bluray is horrible, really horrible.

A lot of content that has 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't look right widescreen which doesn't have to happen, but seems to the what happens when the HD version gets released.

Some pulled it off. The X-Files did pretty well for the most part, but even then, you see stuff that you are not supposed to.

I remember a couple episode from the Bluray version of The X-Files that showed more than what was originally intended. The examples that stick out in my mind all include film crew like animal trainers.

The 1080p version of The Karate Kid was mostly okay, but the fly catching scene was really bad, as you could see the monofilament line moving all the flies around.

I switched to getting primarily Blurays for my library, but still occasionally get DVDs. I do research on them first, though, to make sure that the Bluray version is worth getting over the DVD version.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
My first post here had to do with TS folders from a DVD opening in VLC Player for iPad. The answer still appears to be no. Okay with VLC for Mac but not for iPad/iPhone and probably Apple TV.
I can't imagine taking the time transcode a DVD.
You can drag an entire DVD TS folder a lot faster and get all menus and features from the DVD.
Otherwise, it would make sense to me to simply buy or rent a movie online.
I recently purchased The Pajama Game on Blu-ray. Only one tiny extra on the disc. Turns out iTunes has it for sale now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.