Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Getting back Struts and Springs

Hi guys, I thought I'd share this for anyone else who despises the new Constraints Auto-Layout system:

To turn it off, go into your interface file, choose the document tab (the leftmost one in the tab bar on the right panel.) and uncheck the box "Use Auto Layout"

And bam, just like that, it tosses out the hundreds of complicated constraints (which do anything but "just work" like Apple's docs say they do,) and takes you back to the actually auto-magical system of struts and springs.

I can't say how many times I've been working on an Android app in Eclipse and just wished they had a layout system anywhere near as simple as struts and springs. I was dumbfounded when I saw Apple had actually duplicated the freaking nightmare that is Android UI design (okay, maybe not quite duplicated... they don't force you to pick from a dozen layouts like Android.)

Oh, and as a further nail in the coffin for Constraints and Auto-Layout, it means that Snow Leopard users can't use your app. (As much as I like Lion/ML, I still hear that tons of my customers use SL, so I consider it essential that I continue to support it.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming