Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Need suggestion on a good video player on the iPad which can handle any video file format i.e MP4, WMV, MOV, XVID, MKV etc...etc... Also which supports AC3 Audio format, like a 5.1 Surround sound. The idea is I dont wanna convert the original video to play on the iPad which results in considerable quality loss.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi Guys,

Need suggestion on a good video player on the iPad which can handle any video file format i.e MP4, WMV, MOV, XVID, MKV etc...etc... Also which supports AC3 Audio format, like a 5.1 Surround sound. The idea is I dont wanna convert the original video to play on the iPad which results in considerable quality loss.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Need AC-3? Forget most players unless you jailbreak. BTW,

1, by remuxing to MP4, you can make your videos playable in the stock Videos

2, if you want to keep your current file type (I wouldn't unless I really had to - on non-jailbroken devices, it's only MP4/ m4v/ MOV files that can be played with the maximum efficiency), you can still reencode its AC-3 tracks to an AAC one, making it compatible with most third-party players out there. Read my articles - I've posted several on audio reencoding (while keeping the video stream intact) in this forum and to the Apple TV forum here at MacRumors.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Does anyone here has an experience with CineXPlayer Hd it says it plays all the format except .MKV which is coming soon and also plays Video in AC3 Audio.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Does anyone here has an experience with CineXPlayer Hd it says it plays all the format except .MKV which is coming soon and also plays Video in AC3 Audio.

MKV is already supported in the current version of CineXPlayer HD. However, it's not as good as some of the alternative players (except for the AC-3 support). In addition, there's no Retina iPad support. Read my review: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478727/

All in all, I don't really recommend the current version if you have a Retina iPad. Wait for a bugfixed version.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
MKV is already supported in the current version of CineXPlayer HD. However, it's not as good as some of the alternative players (except for the AC-3 support). In addition, there's no Retina iPad support. Read my review: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478727/

All in all, I don't really recommend the current version if you have a Retina iPad. Wait for a bugfixed version.

Ok So which player would you suggest which plays almmost all formats including Xvid with a AC3 Audio or a 5.1 Audio. And most importantly where I dont have to convert the video to a iPad compatible format. And which also takes advantage of the Retina Display of the iPad-3. Anyone that you wanna suggest which is the best right now out there.

BTW CineXPlayer description says it supports Retina Display !! So are you sure when you say it does not take advantage of the Retina Display, So what are you talking about ??

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Need AC-3? Forget most players unless you jailbreak. BTW,

1, by remuxing to MP4, you can make your videos playable in the stock Videos

2, if you want to keep your current file type (I wouldn't unless I really had to - on non-jailbroken devices, it's only MP4/ m4v/ MOV files that can be played with the maximum efficiency), you can still reencode its AC-3 tracks to an AAC one, making it compatible with most third-party players out there. Read my articles - I've posted several on audio reencoding (while keeping the video stream intact) in this forum and to the Apple TV forum here at MacRumors.

That's a major failure on apple's part that you need to jailbreak the phone just to do a simple task of playing back simple standard file formats.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Ok So which player would you suggest which plays almmost all formats including Xvid with a AC3 Audio or a 5.1 Audio. And most importantly where I dont have to convert the video to a iPad compatible format. And which also takes advantage of the Retina Display of the iPad-3. Anyone that you wanna suggest which is the best right now out there.

Full iPad Retina + AC-3? Jailbreak + RushPlayer+. Or, just reencode the audio track to AAC. Check out my latest article where I've even provided some such reencoded with an additional AAC track (or the AC3 one swapped with the newly-encoded AAC one):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1494608/

BTW CineXPlayer description says it supports Retina Display !! So are you sure when you say it does not take advantage of the Retina Display, So what are you talking about ??

1, it doens't name Retina at all - neither the HD nor the standard version's description.

2, you can always trust my reviews. If I do state that it doesn't make use of the Retina screen, then it doesn't.

----------

That's a major failure on apple's part that you need to jailbreak the phone just to do a simple task of playing back simple standard file formats.

Yup - it's a shame they obey Dolby's request and remove all players not licensing Dolby's extraorbitantly expensive technology. After all, competing mobile platforms all have AC-3 support - so do jailbreak apps, which haven't dropped AC-3.

I bet Apple doesn't try to make Dolby at least decrease their extremely, laughably high licensing fees (so that they become payable for iOS devs) because they also prefer iOS users, after not being able to play back "nonstandard" formats, purchase movies exclusively from iTunes Store.

Just for the record: Dolby requires iOS devs to pay around $1 for each sold copy & between $20k and $30k base licensing fee annually, independent of the number of copies sold. No wonder no third-party devs (except for the long-time licenser of Dolby, the CineXPlayer folks) license Dolby's tech...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.