Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Are there any good speaker docks out right now for the new iPod Touch?

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Are there any good speaker docks out right now for the new iPod Touch?

At the moment there are only a few manufacturers expected to make docks compatible with the Lightning port standard. Most are switching to Bluetooth or AirPlay. You would be best to keep an eye out for iPhone 5 docks as most manufacturers are advertising their products as being compatible primarily to the iPhone 5. iPod Touches will fit as long as there is enough support for the device in the cradle.

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
I bought a lightning to 30 pin adapter that works well with my iHome/IPT5g...it was $29, but cheaper than buying a new iHome....

gcrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
These are the only ones I found that would work...but of course they don't come with a remote. :rolleyes:

OBVenueLT_sq_001_dv480x480.png

OBMicroBlk_sq_001_dv480x480.png

I bought a lightning to 30 pin adapter that works well with my iHome/IPT5g...it was $29, but cheaper than buying a new iHome....

Which iHome and adapter do you have?

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
Which iHome and adapter do you have?[/QUOTE]

I have the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter from Apple like this one
http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple....icub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

I mis-spoke, it was actually $39. My iHome is like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0035FJVHA/ref=dp_otherviews_z_1?ie=UTF8&img=1&s=mp3

----------

Which iHome and adapter do you have?

I have the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter from Apple like this one
http://store.storeimages.cdn-apple....icub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp

I mis-spoke, it was actually $39. My iHome is like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0035FJVHA/ref=dp_otherviews_z_1?ie=UTF8&img=1&s=mp3[/QUOTE]

My IPT5g doesn't dock to the iHome the way the 4g did, obviously. I just lay the iPod on the iHome when it's playing. There is another adapter that you can also get from Apple, but I thought the one I bought might be more useful for me.

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
They don't guarantee anything, but I don't know why it wouldn't. I researched this question, and there were a lot of people having success.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Alright folks. There are a few things to be answered which no one is mentioning. Firstly, most docks on the market were released prior to the release of the iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5. As a result, they have mainly the 30-pin dock connection. In order to be able to "dock" or "cradle" an iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5, you need to have the Lightening connection. Some companies such as JBL have recently released or are planning to release this sort of connection while most others have decided to move on to using Bluetooth or Airplay connections, simply for the wider compatibility and the growing trend to move to wireless technologies.

In order for you to be able to use an existing 30-pin speaker dock with your new iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5, you need to convert the 30-pin connection to Lightning so everything plugs in together. To do this you need to purchase one of two adapters. Apple sells both. First is a simple short adapter. The other is a long corded adapter.

MD823

MD824

Now your device cannot just sit in the dock or cradle. It needs to be physically supported so that there is no strain on the connection. 30-pin docks commonly have grooves in which the device sit in and rest so it doesn't bend the connector or the inner connection of the device. If you use the short adapter, then your device will be propped up on a pedestal and have zero support, possibly damaging your device. That's assuming your device can even balance as most docks come out on an angle. The best bet is to use the long corded adapter. Plug that in, and let your device sit on the top or table around the speakers. You get the full plug-in and charging capability.

So take that into consideration before looking at any docks. In my opinion, I find the newer Bluetooth speakers to be quite nice since they will forever work with all your devices (Macbook, iPad, iPhone, iPod, and other Bluetooth devices). If you are willing to wait, companies are planning to release Bluetooth 4.0 speakers that will provide better quality and drain less battery. I have a Logitech Bluetooth Boombox and it works great. Being wireless is awesome. :cool: But to each there own! :)

gcrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Alright folks. There are a few things to be answered which no one is mentioning. Firstly, most docks on the market were released prior to the release of the iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5. As a result, they have mainly the 30-pin dock connection. In order to be able to "dock" or "cradle" an iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5, you need to have the Lightening connection. Some companies such as JBL have recently released or are planning to release this sort of connection while most others have decided to move on to using Bluetooth or Airplay connections, simply for the wider compatibility and the growing trend to move to wireless technologies.

In order for you to be able to use an existing 30-pin speaker dock with your new iPhone 5 or iPod Touch 5, you need to convert the 30-pin connection to Lightning so everything plugs in together. To do this you need to purchase one of two adapters. Apple sells both. First is a simple short adapter. The other is a long corded adapter.

Now your device cannot just sit in the dock or cradle. It needs to be physically supported so that there is no strain on the connection. 30-pin docks commonly have grooves in which the device sit in and rest so it doesn't bend the connector or the inner connection of the device. If you use the short adapter, then your device will be propped up on a pedestal and have zero support, possibly damaging your device. That's assuming your device can even balance as most docks come out on an angle. The best bet is to use the long corded adapter. Plug that in, and let your device sit on the top or table around the speakers. You get the full plug-in and charging capability.

So take that into consideration before looking at any docks. In my opinion, I find the newer Bluetooth speakers to be quite nice since they will forever work with all your devices (Macbook, iPad, iPhone, iPod, and other Bluetooth devices). If you are willing to wait, companies are planning to release Bluetooth 4.0 speakers that will provide better quality and drain less battery. I have a Logitech Bluetooth Boombox and it works great. Being wireless is awesome. :cool: But to each there own! :)

Do you recommend any other wireless speakers? Any good ones coming out around Christmas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.