Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1
jojoba
macrumors 65816

What's your favourite mind mapping app?

I'm interested in something that either integrates well with iThoughtsHD on the iPad, or comes with its own iPad version.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:28 AM   #2
steveoc
macrumors regular

My favorite mind mapping application is NovaMind. While I have not really done much in terms of working between iTHoughts HD and NovaMind, initial tests indicate they work together well. iThoughts does have a NovaMind export.

Here are iThoughts HD's pages addressing compatibility:

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughts...atibility.html

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughts...tyDetails.html

Their notes on NovaMind:
  • When importing, iThoughts will recognise ‘template’ colours and shapes (including the Rainbow scheme.) The template information is not re-exported.
  • When exporting, iThoughts icons are embedded in the map - meaning that ALL icons are exported correctly from iThoughts. When importing, iThoughts can only map a subset of the Novamind icons.

MindManager seems slightly more compatible, but I do not the app nearly as much as NovaMind (although it does have a few features that NovaMind does not such as the ability to export an interactive PDF).
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:47 AM   #3
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoc View Post
My favorite mind mapping application is NovaMind. While I have not really done much in terms of working between iTHoughts HD and NovaMind, initial tests indicate they work together well. iThoughts does have a NovaMind export.

Here are iThoughts HD's pages addressing compatibility:

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughts...atibility.html

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughts...tyDetails.html

Their notes on NovaMind:
  • When importing, iThoughts will recognise ‘template’ colours and shapes (including the Rainbow scheme.) The template information is not re-exported.
  • When exporting, iThoughts icons are embedded in the map - meaning that ALL icons are exported correctly from iThoughts. When importing, iThoughts can only map a subset of the Novamind icons.

MindManager seems slightly more compatible, but I do not the app nearly as much as NovaMind (although it does have a few features that NovaMind does not such as the ability to export an interactive PDF).
Thanks, Steve, I actually just downloaded their trial version to have a look. Which version of NovaMind are you using? I'm thinking their 'smallest' version would be sufficient for my purposes. I've tried importing a few maps from my iPad, and that seems to work well so far.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
steveoc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Thanks, Steve, I actually just downloaded their trial version to have a look. Which version of NovaMind are you using? I'm thinking their 'smallest' version would be sufficient for my purposes. I've tried importing a few maps from my iPad, and that seems to work well so far.
I bought Platinum with an eye on the Presenter function. Sadly the feature came out after the academic year began, so I haven't had time to learn it. I also plan to create themes that are coordinated my favorite themes in Keynote. A theme editor is a yet to be released and I'm not sure what versions will include that.

My only gripe about NovaMind has been the slow development of promised features for which I had prepaid, but things are much better now.

Last edited by steveoc; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
steveoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5
jojoba
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoc View Post
I bought Platinum with an eye on the Presenter function. Sadly the feature came out after the academic year began, so I haven't had time to learn it. I also plan to create themes that are coordinated my favorite themes in Keynote. A theme editor is a yet to be released and I'm not sure what versions will include that.

My only gripe about NovaMind has been the slow development of promised features for which I had prepaid, but things are much better now.
So, I've decided to purchase the basic version. I think that should last me for a while, and it was on offer right now. Thanks for the input!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
steveoc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
So, I've decided to purchase the basic version. I think that should last me for a while, and it was on offer right now. Thanks for the input!
They will work with you on an upgrade if you want it later. Don't forget to use the educational discount if you do.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store