Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Data-only for iPhone 5? (ie. Put iPad sim in iPhone 5)

Does anyone know how to do this yet with the iPhone 5? There was a hack to put an iPad SIM in the iPhone 4 & 4S, but isn't the SIM card different now in the iPhone 5?
MacVault is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Ishimaru
macrumors 6502a

It's a nano-SIM in the 5. Not sure why you'd want data only on it though.

Last edited by Ishimaru; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Wrote the wrong sim type.
Ishimaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to MacVault Send a message via Yahoo to MacVault Send a message via Skype™ to MacVault
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishimaru View Post
It's a micro-SIM in the 5. Not sure why you'd want data only on it though.
I would LOVEEEE an iPhone 5 with data-only!!! I rarely have the need to talk. It's all txt via Google Voice app, surfing, etc. Only data stuff. I currently buy the minimum voice plan just because it's required by the carrier, and they require it because they know that if they didn't they'd lose a lot of monthly rev.
MacVault is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
rritterson
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVault View Post
I would LOVEEEE an iPhone 5 with data-only!!! I rarely have the need to talk. It's all txt via Google Voice app, surfing, etc. Only data stuff. I currently buy the minimum voice plan just because it's required by the carrier, and they require it because they know that if they didn't they'd lose a lot of monthly rev.
Buy one full price from AT&T, request to get it unlocked. Cancel service and get a nano SIM from T-mobile when they come out. You can get 100 minutes, 5GB data and unlimited texts for $30/month prepaid.

Downside is that right now they only offer edge speeds on iphones, though that is changing fast. Still no LTE for quite a while though.

I plan on keeping my AT&T contract until T-mobile lights up 3G in my area, then paying the ETF and transferring service to them. I know AT&T isn't listening, but if they would offer me a low minutes/high data plan I'd take it.
rritterson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Another option is to go prepaid. It'll be more expensive, but there aren't a lot of options in this arena. Europe is a lot more flexible.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Surrylic
macrumors regular

I would be all for an all data plan.. but I wonder how much data MagicJack uses? If I ever needed to make a call I would just use that.
Surrylic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

In theory you should be able to get an iPad plan and have the SIM swapped for a nanosim in-store.

Alternatively, get the iPad plan and cut the SIM down to size. There should be nothing preventing you from using an iPad SIM and plan in an iPhone. (You may have to fiddle with the APN settings though.)
CyBeRino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
Another option is to go prepaid. It'll be more expensive, but there aren't a lot of options in this arena. Europe is a lot more flexible.
Prepaid from which carrier? Does AT&T or Verizon really offer prepaid data-only for iPhone? Can you provide a link to carrier's page on this?

Last edited by MacVault; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
rritterson
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyBeRino View Post
In theory you should be able to get an iPad plan and have the SIM swapped for a nanosim in-store.

Alternatively, get the iPad plan and cut the SIM down to size. There should be nothing preventing you from using an iPad SIM and plan in an iPhone. (You may have to fiddle with the APN settings though.)
AT&T had caught people trying to do SIM swapping to share no-longer-available unlimited plans between devices. They warn you a few times, then deactivate the SIM requiring a call to CS before reactivation. Eventually, they'll just cancel your service for violating the T&C.
rritterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:40 PM   #10
eastercat
macrumors 68040

I don't know about verizon, but there are options for at&t mvno carriers.
For example, h2o has a $25 plan which is either minutes, sms, mms or data. If you look, I'm sure you'll find other options.
The mvno carriers don't require unlocking if you have an at&t phone.
Quote:
Prepaid from which carrier? Does AT&T or Verizon really offer prepaid data-only for iPhone? Can you provide a link to carrier's page on this?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #11
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritterson View Post
AT&T had caught people trying to do SIM swapping to share no-longer-available unlimited plans between devices. They warn you a few times, then deactivate the SIM requiring a call to CS before reactivation. Eventually, they'll just cancel your service for violating the T&C.
Do you mean repeatedly swapping by the same person, or many people swapping for the same reason?

In the first case, I can see why. Those SIMs aren't free for them, you know.
CyBeRino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:05 PM   #12
MacVault
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm not expecting an unlimited plan. I just want an iPhone 5 with data-only, even if it's capped. Does the hack work still for putting an iPad SIM into the iPhone? Can the iPad SIM really work in the iPhone 5 if physically trimmed down to size of the miccro sim?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:12 PM   #13
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

How about getting an iPod touch and a mifi instead of an iPhone?
SHirsch999 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:24 PM   #14
rritterson
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not expecting an unlimited plan. I just want an iPhone 5 with data-only, even if it's capped. Does the hack work still for putting an iPad SIM into the iPhone? Can the iPad SIM really work in the iPhone 5 if physically trimmed down to size of the miccro sim?
Yes, the sim will work if cut and sanded. No, AT&T will not like it and your service will eventually be cut.
rritterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I think the easiest and cheapest would be to use a mifi and an iphone 5 with no sim or service at all.
I know some of them mifi's are LTE enabled for around $30 a month.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:01 AM   #16
supak111
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 DATA ONLY is easy

I'm using iPad 3 data in my iPhone 5, $25 per month 2gb LTE. Just cut the sim down to size. 3.5/4g (9-12mbps down/ 1-3mbps up) works just download the apn from unlockit.co.nz. But they keep kicking me off LTE. LTE I was getting (9-18mbps down and around 9mbps up) LTE would work for about 24 hours then ATT would kick me off LTE and not let me back on. Only if I change the IMEI in ATTs system will the LTE come back for another 12-24 hours and then kick me off again. Right now I'm at the point where even changing my IMEI doesnt help, I think they blocked my iPhone 5 IMEI in their LTE system lol. Anyone know how to get LTE back??

PS: 3.5/4g (9-12mbps down/ 1-3mbps up) always works ;-) even when I'm kicked off LTE
supak111 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:34 PM   #17
vjim
macrumors newbie

iPad data plan in an iPhone

For the past 2 years since 2010 when the original iPad was released, I have used an iPad data plan (grandfathered unlimited) in an iPhone 3GS and until last week an iPhone 4. I had to change the APN in those phones to Broadband to work, otherwise, data wont work if you just stick in the sim card. Now, I bought an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini, I transfered my data service to the iPad mini and was still able to keep the unlimited plan, now with LTE. The only problem is when I stick in the nano sim to the iPhone 5, LTE does not work. I downloaded the APN profile for data to work, but it only picks up 4G service, not LTE. I have LTE here in Los Angeles and the iPad mini shows full bars "LTE" but the iPhone 5 does not. Anybody have similar issues when sticking in a prepaid or other sim cards to the iPhone 5??
vjim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:03 PM   #18
trust412
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjim View Post
For the past 2 years since 2010 when the original iPad was released, I have used an iPad data plan (grandfathered unlimited) in an iPhone 3GS and until last week an iPhone 4. I had to change the APN in those phones to Broadband to work, otherwise, data wont work if you just stick in the sim card. Now, I bought an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini, I transfered my data service to the iPad mini and was still able to keep the unlimited plan, now with LTE. The only problem is when I stick in the nano sim to the iPhone 5, LTE does not work. I downloaded the APN profile for data to work, but it only picks up 4G service, not LTE. I have LTE here in Los Angeles and the iPad mini shows full bars "LTE" but the iPhone 5 does not. Anybody have similar issues when sticking in a prepaid or other sim cards to the iPhone 5??
Ive been doing what youve been doing for the past 2 years and recently, I just activated the ipad mini sim card and put it into the iphone5. I am having the exact same issue with the phone not picking up LTE but only picking up 4G. Anyone have and ideas or solution?? Thanks.
trust412 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
My friend just get
T-Mobile $30 plan with 5GB 3G data if u have coverage in your area, It includes 100 Day time miuntes + Unlimited Texting
or
Straight Talk $45 plan which includes Unlimited Talking+Unlimited Texting+ up to 3GB of 3G HSPA+ Data

The trouble of going through/ahead with a iPad SIM (unless its going to give you some sort of adrenaline) is not worth it because sooner or later you may get cut off. Also how reliable is Data? its definitely not more reliable than having a Voice or Texting in your actual plan (This I'm saying because if you are in one of those areas where you barely get 2G/EDGE your google voice texting is pretty useless) and not to mention the other ppl having issues...so think about it..is it worth going through any trouble at all or having a phone & plan that just works like one of the two i mentioned above?

Last edited by Satnam1989; Dec 2, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Satnam1989 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:25 AM   #20
vjim
macrumors newbie

A month ago, i got an email from at&t, saying "We tried to renew your iPad unlimited data lte plan... please login from an ipad to select a plan." I used the ipad mini's sim in an iphone 5 for around 5 days and i put it back on the iPad. I was so nervous because I thought this was at&t's way of taking out unlimited data users, but fortunately, when i logged in to my iPad the option was still there to select the unlimited data plan. I guess the lesson from this is at&t might know im using an unlimited lte plan in an iPhone 5, and dont let them catch you doing it or you might risk losing your unlimited data plan.

This has happened to me about 3 times in the past 2 years and it is such a headache to worry about losing your unlimited plan... so i decided now to keep the iPad mini using its own sim card and return the iphone 5. So just a warning to all you brave seekers out there.
vjim is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:46 AM   #21
Loodydo
macrumors newbie

I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.
Loodydo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #22
The Bogeyman
macrumors member

Quote:
Buy an iPad then.

Customised Macbook Air 2014 8GB, 512GB, i7, iPad (3rd Generation), Apple TV (3rd gen) iPod Classic 160GB and iPhone 5 in delicious black.
The Bogeyman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:19 AM   #23
ronkuba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodydo View Post
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.
I have been doing this on verizon also since the 5 came out. Lte work great, just cut the sim down and it just works. Can't beat $30 a month. I use talkatone for voice.
ronkuba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:57 PM   #24
supak111
macrumors newbie

As I've said before it works on ATT iPhone 5 just change APN settings. Its just that LTE only works a day or 2, after a few days they kick you down to 4G.

Someone confirmed working on Verizon.

Anyone try on Sprint?? Can anyone confirm?
supak111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:12 PM   #25
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, the sim will work if cut and sanded. No, AT&T will not like it and your service will eventually be cut.
I understand AT&T's stand regarding unlimited but why would they care if you have a 3gb data plan for the iPad and use it instead on an iPhone?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone