Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:08 PM   #1
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
How to - Getting song lyrics on the iPhone

The new 1.1.3 software update for the iPhone has enabled lyrics to display for your songs. Unfortunately at this time there is no way to automatically download lyrics to your songs (However a solution using two 3rd party programs is described below!). You may be wondering how to get this working, so here is a simple guide to help get you started.

Find Lyrics

First you have to find the lyrics yourself, you can use Google and type in a search, for example "The Beatles Help Lyrics" and find the best result to chose. Alternatively you can visit web sites which have a database of lyrics such as this site.

Enter Lyrics

To enter the lyrics into iTunes just find the song you want to add lyrics to and select it. Right click on that song and select "Get Info", a new window will pop up with information about the song. Click on the Lyrics tab. Now just copy and paste the text from the lyrics web page into the text box and click OK.

Sync iPhone

Now as long as the music is already on your iPhone all you have to do is plug in your iPhone and sync. When syncing you will notice iTunes will say "Updating files" and will show the titles of the songs you have added lyrics to.

Viewing Lyrics

Now that you have setup lyrics for your songs it's simple to view them on your iPhone. Simply navigate to a song which has lyrics entered for it, and wait for the song to play. While the song is playing tap once on the cover art to display the lyrics. The lyrics will be displayed on top of the album as a scrollable text box. To hide the lyrics just tap the window once.

Video of lyrics on the iPhone (QuickTime video 2.6 MB)
HTML guide with images

Last edited by LimeiBook86; Jan 21, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:22 PM   #2
r6girl
Administrator/Editor

Send a message via AIM to r6girl
nice! thanks for the guide!

hopefully apple will add the ability to automatically retrieve lyrics in itunes, just as can be done for album art today...
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Rojo
macrumors 65816

When I saw the lyrics function, I thought it would be automatic too. I have dashboard widgets on my computer at home that can automatically retrieve lyrics for songs (not sure what source they are drawing from - probably one of the many lyric online databases). It would make a lot more sense for the iPhone to do this -- rather than have people have to manually add lyrics for every song.
Rojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
It would make a lot more sense for the iPhone to do this -- rather than have people have to manually add lyrics for every song.
Yeah, hopefully like others have said eventually Apple will have their own lyrics database where they can automatically be added to songs. This would make things, much easier!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:05 PM   #5
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Just a little update. Here are two tools that will automate the process of adding lyrics to your iTunes songs, so you don't have to! Mac OS X is required but I'm sure there are similar tools for Windows versions of iTunes.

First off is a program called GimmeSomeTune this program displays information about the current song playing, including a pop-up window displaying the lyrics. This is good to make sure the lyrics download correctly.

Then there comes a wonderful little script called and Needle Drop. This script (once installed) will play through a selected playlist (or if you select your Library your entire library) and play each song for a selected amount of time.

Now what we want to do is have iTunes run through the whole library (or just a playlist) and add lyrics to our songs via downloading them from the internet. If you have a broadband connection you'll be ok, if you're on dial-up you may need to have the songs play longer to get the data time to download. It's best to do this overnight with the speakers muted or while you don't need to use the computer.

Once you have both programs installed open GimmeSomeTune. A music note icon will appear in the top menu in the Finder (by the clock and Spotlight). Click on that and select Preferences. Navigate to the "Artwork, Lyrics" tab and select the checkbox under Lyrics. Additionally you can enable cover artwork options as well. Now in iTunes open the library or playlist you want to download lyrics to. Now look at the top menu bar, click the little Scripts Scroll icon (between Window and Help) and choose "Needle Drop". A window will pop up asking how many seconds you want a song to play before skipping to the next song. I set it for 3 seconds, you may want to give each track more time if you have a slow internet connection. Next a window will ask you how far into each song you may want to play. I entered 0 (to start at the beginning) and clicked ok. That's all.

Now if everything is working correctly your lyrics and artwork will be loaded onto your songs. Now it's not perfect and it won't catch every song but it's better than doing it all manually. To make sure things are going well go back to the Finder and click on the music note icon again, select "Show GimmeSomeTune Window" to see the song information, or select "Show Lyrics" to show the lyrics window.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tune-prefs.png
Views:	271
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	97926  
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:44 PM   #6
LoneWolf121188
macrumors 6502a

That's awesome, I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Jovian9
macrumors 68000

I have a weird issue here. I have lyrics added to songs (already had them there prior to the update). When I "sync" my iPhone it will allow me to see lyrics to some songs but not all. I went back and checked and they are in the files. I also deleted these songs and put them back in, but they still will not show up on the iPhone. Anyone else having this issue?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:25 AM   #8
demiurgical
macrumors member

I'm amazed at how well and fast this works. Thanks LimeiBook!
demiurgical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:06 PM   #9
ero87
macrumors 65816

On my iPhone, almost all of my songs seem to already have lyrics attached to them. I didn't do any of this manually, I don't know how it happened... but cool! The only iTunes add-on i have is SizzlingKeys - could that have been secretly adding lyrics to my songs?

Well, whatever, I'm happy . it's an awesome new feature
ero87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:02 PM   #10
redgaz26
macrumors 68020

thanks for the guide i'm currently going through my entire itnes library using needle drop, all working very well except it thought ian brown(used to sing with the stone roses) was in broadway!!!
redgaz26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:11 PM   #11
maclovin'
macrumors regular

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but for one....this is amazing!!! For another, it may help some other people who were wondering about this like I was. The method described for automatically getting lyrics is quite fast(even on a slow internet connection), and much easier than doing it manually. THANK YOU LimeiBook86!!!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:14 PM   #12
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclovin' View Post
THANK YOU LimeiBook86!!!
Your welcome! I'm glad people are finding my guide so useful. I hoped it would should up in the iPhone blog here on MacRumors, but it may be a little too late for that. Still I'm glad it's helping you guys out! Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:21 PM   #13
sye46
macrumors member

if your phone is jailbroken, there is an application on cydia called Tunewiki that will automatically find the song that is playing on your iphone and stream the lyrics from the internet on the fly and play the lyrics in karaoke style with the song (play the verse of the lyrics as the song is playing). It is awesome and works great! no need to find, enter, & sync lyrics.

http://gizmodo.com/339048/tunewiki-i...lude-in-iphone
sye46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
Linuss
macrumors regular

And for windows users:

http://soundcrank.com/
Linuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:34 AM   #15
daihard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to daihard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
And for windows users:

For WHO?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:51 AM   #16
mcdj
macrumors 604

much easier way...

1. listen to song
2. listen to song again, closer, write down lyrics in notebook
3. take photo of notebook (if all lyrics do not fit in one photo, take multiple photos)
4. sync photo(s) to iphone

tada!

Old Aug 20, 2008, 01:37 AM   #17
theotherrogue
macrumors regular

The following program is fantastic from my experience. As long as the Artist and Track titles are properly entered, it can find lyrics for just about anything. It's pretty quick too.

iTunes Lyrics Importer:
http://senthilkumar.googlepages.com/...lyricsimporter
theotherrogue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:41 AM   #18
dccorona
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
much easier way...

1. listen to song
2. listen to song again, closer, write down lyrics in notebook
3. take photo of notebook (if all lyrics do not fit in one photo, take multiple photos)
4. sync photo(s) to iphone

tada!

thats the best song ever too
dccorona is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:58 AM   #19
stevearm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
And for windows users:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard View Post
For WHO?
96% of the planet.
stevearm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:16 AM   #20
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Anyone knows how to enable this in iOS 6? I can't see the lyrics in my iPhone 5. Thanks!
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:18 PM   #21
docal97
macrumors 6502a

with everything becoming wireless and many using icloud for backups, its surprising that there is no easier way to automatically add lyrics to all of your songs.

surprising that apple would not add this to the song downloads in itunes. It would make everything so much easier.
docal97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:14 AM   #22
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by docal97 View Post
with everything becoming wireless and many using icloud for backups, its surprising that there is no easier way to automatically add lyrics to all of your songs.

surprising that apple would not add this to the song downloads in itunes. It would make everything so much easier.
The labels don't allow the lyrics to be included; they want people to pay extra for the lyrics. It's not Apple's fault. The 3rd party sites that do provide the lyrics are sued regularly by the labels for piracy.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:55 PM   #23
AuthGirl
macrumors newbie

on iPhone5 (iOS7)

On iTune
1. Right click on song
2. Get Info
3. Lyrics Tab
4. Paste lyrics
5. Sync your iPhone

On iPhone
1.Click and play the song
2.Where the Album cover shows -> put your finger on that spot for 4 seconds then tap! Like ____ _ (one-two-tree-four / remove your finger very quickly then tap same spot again once)
3. Lyrics shows - you can scroll up and down

---- after few times doing that should work just tap once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone_lyrics_authgirl.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	466433  

Last edited by AuthGirl; Mar 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: change title
AuthGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 05:13 AM   #24
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Thank you! It isn't intuitive but it works, how you became aware of it?
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone