Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
....and it is either useless or I am just used to quicker devices. Thought I lost it when moving country but found it today. Restored it (3.1.3) and synced some music onto it - nothing else (apps or movies) and the thing is rotten slow.

The touchscreen is slow, opening 'iPod' takes half a minute to display and JB brings it down to such slow crawl that it is unusable.

Battery is great funnily enough - third day on the table and sits at 75% (granted - no use at all).

Not really a question but more likely an observation - whatever it is, the thing seems to degrade over time. I'd understand it by constant use, similar to constant writes on SSDs, but with no use at all, it seems odd that it becomes unusable. I had it two years ago and it was fine.

R.I.P I guess ....

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
....and it is either useless or I am just used to quicker devices. Thought I lost it when moving country but found it today. Restored it (3.1.3) and synced some music onto it - nothing else (apps or movies) and the thing is rotten slow.

The touchscreen is slow, opening 'iPod' takes half a minute to display and JB brings it down to such slow crawl that it is unusable.

Battery is great funnily enough - third day on the table and sits at 75% (granted - no use at all).

Not really a question but more likely an observation - whatever it is, the thing seems to degrade over time. I'd understand it by constant use, similar to constant writes on SSDs, but with no use at all, it seems odd that it becomes unusable. I had it two years ago and it was fine.

R.I.P I guess ....

Happened to my iPhone 3G by upgrading to iOS 4 ;) went from smooth to useless lol

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Like I say - it had it before I 'lost' it ... When I moved (and lost it) 3.1.3 was out about 5 months.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Downgraded to 1.1.3 / 1.1.4 and 2.something

Gave up .. really seems dead ... meh ..

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I still use my 1st gen 16Gb iPod touch but I also have a 4th gen iPod touch that I prefer using if I'm using it for anything more than music functions but the device still works like when it was new = everything else has gotten faster in the years since the original was introduced:(

touchipods

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
I still use my 1st gen 16Gb iPod touch but I also have a 4th gen iPod touch that I prefer using if I'm using it for anything more than music functions but the device still works like when it was new = everything else has gotten faster in the years since the original was introduced:(

Wow, exact same as you.:) Touch 1G runs fine for me besides Safari being slow. However with Opera app (no JavaScript), much faster-almost as fast as touch 4G Safari without the crashing.

Also touch 1g sound quality is different from 4g. 1g touch was the only touch with Wolfson audio chip. 4g audio quality is great (warm sound) but so is 1g (more neutral) with headphones-with earphones 4g is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.