Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neto333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
hi, i bought my iphone 5 a week ago and now the screen have some scratches, why this is happening, i saw a lot of vidoes in youtube that people take a knife and rub the knife in the iphone, but i just put my iphone in my pocket, maybe is the cloth that im using to clean this clothes.
This is a a microfiber cloth. is a little old, like 2 years, i don´t know if this affect the screen
jLlJPPOZXc6Fx.jpg

This is another cloth of microfiber, but is for cars i don´t know if this affect the screen
jwtn5a8aviC4K.jpg

This is a polyester cloth, i bought this from office depot, and they say that this can clean any screen.
jlzljI88sPZNw.jpg

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
i don't think those cleaning cloths are causing your scratches. It is more likely just from using the phone w/o a screen protector. Moving the phone in and out of your pocket and using it throughout the day can result in scratches and scuffs even if you are careful.

I would get a screen protector for your phone. I am using the zagg invisishield hd, and I can barely tell that it is on the phone. Sure, it would be better to not have any protection on the screen, but it's just not worth the risk of scratches, and it dosen't compromise screen quality all that much.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I don't think they used gorilla glass in ip5 or if they have then I've seen no proof of it.

neto333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
but how this is happening, i mean i know that is almost imposible to keep your phone like on the first day, but how some iphones can survive this and my iphone in just one week have a scratch, i hear that the sand and dirt can easily scratch the screen.

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Microfiber cloths are usually made from some form of polyester. It is the microscopic structure of the polyester fibres that give them the dirt and grease-absorbing properties.

They do benefit from an occasional clean, remember... just don't put them in the machine with cottons. Usually hand-wash in mild detergent or some dish soap.

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
but how this is happening, i mean i know that is almost imposible to keep your phone like on the first day, but how some iphones can survive this and my iphone in just one week have a scratch, i hear that the sand and dirt can easily scratch the screen.
YouTube: video

And that is most likely what is doing it. Pockets are magnets for sand/dirt (silica) and glass can scratch glass. Put a screen protector on or quit carrying it in your pocket are the only 2 real solutions. I use an Otterbox Defender with the built in screen protector removed and replaced with a Glas'T. The only time I got a scratch was the one time I put it in my pants pocket.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I use the green cleaning call for my phone almost every day. It is never scratched my phone. I bought mine from bed Bath and beyond and I use them to wipe my phone down and dry all the time. I also have the glasst.R screen protector on my iPhone comes spigen.com, Before that I just used the antiglare or regular screen protectors on my phone. I don't ever go without a screen protector on my iPhone. The only way that I think your microfiber cloth will scratch your screen is that it picked up some debris somewhere like a grain of sand etc.

----------

And that is most likely what is doing it. Pockets are magnets for sand/dirt (silica) and glass can scratch glass. Put a screen protector on or quit carrying it in your pocket are the only 2 real solutions. I use an Otterbox Defender with the built in screen protector removed and replaced with a Glas'T. The only time I got a scratch was the one time I put it in my pants pocket.

You put the OtterBox defender on your phone with the Glas.tR screen protector? How does that fit? Isn't the piece of glass on top too thick for the OtterBox to snap together?

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
You put the OtterBox defender on your phone with the Glas.tR screen protector? How does that fit? Isn't the piece of glass on top too thick for the OtterBox to snap together?

Sorry about the delay in responding - for some reason Tapatalk did not notify me of the post.

Yes, it is snug, and the bottom of the Otterbox has a "slight" gap, but not noticeable unless you are really anal retentive about that kind of stuff. It keeps it much tighter encased than normal. The dog ears that snap together are a bear to get undone they are so snug - you have to undo both at the same time. Other than that, I love them together and have even gotten 3 of the Verizon Reps to purchase it for their i5's, and they have different cases that it also works on the cases they are using.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

The third way is to invert your pockets now and then to remove dirt and wash your pants regularly! Also blow off dust or brush it off regularly. Use the cloths that come for eyeglasses. I have no scratches in either. .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.