Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:22 AM   #101
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
thanks.
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:30 AM   #102
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
lol are you for real?
For real? Uhh, yes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsurfeif View Post
The iTunes Store was pretty revolutionary.
I thought it was always there. I guess not. Still, that's version 4.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:31 AM   #103
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMI View Post
I don't think you got my point, but that's fine.
What was your point exactly?

You were complaining about not wanting to buy a new machine "every 2 years", but even if you bought your PPC mac at the very end of the cycle, its been 6+ years now, which is well in excess of any reasonable expectation for the machine to still be supported.

Time (and software) moves on.

I can't run itunes on my Amiga, either.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:10 AM   #104
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
Haha, I was just preparing to post what this "mit" is related to... I even googled it haha thought it's something I missed out in school, how you know it's German & what does it mean in English?

----------

Which water haha
with = mit

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
What "revolutionary" things have Apple added to iTunes? It's had the same basic features since the start. All they did was change the layout, first for the better, then with no big difference, and then for the worse in version 10. All they really added was Genius (nice but nothing revolutionary) and Ping (piece of @#$%ing @#$%).

----------

Excuse me for not buying a new computer every 5 years even though my old one works perfectly... Still, even if you have new hardware, the newer versions just use up more computer resources and force you to keep updating.
not really, Mountain Lion and iTunes run just fine on my old mbp from mid 2009. iTunes takes like a second to open and nothings lagging
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:16 AM   #105
AliClifton
macrumors member

hmm random capitalisation, "images mit 1200 pixels" - yep must be yet another non-native translating at a german company
AliClifton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:06 AM   #106
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
I cant wait! But I will... I won’t touch any major version, of any software I rely on, from any company, at first release. Mass public release is always a far bigger test than any prior test could be. I want the benefit of those fixes! Or at least, to feel safe that none are needed. iTunes 11 looks terrific but I will leave it to the guinea pigs for at least 2 weeks. I didn’t fully appreciate iTunes 11 from pictures, until I watched the keynote: it’s simple to use (as it should be, finally) but not dumbed down! The power I need is still there.
Same here. Our iTunes library is a major part of all the files we have, and in which I've invested literally hundreds of hours, so even with back-ups, I'm still a little leery about jumping in with both feet. I'm actually pretty happy with it, as it is right now. In spite of the lack of a 'progress' bar in the mini-player which I use a lot while doing other things, iTunes 11 seems to have some pretty cool new features. When this comes out finally, I'm going to be 'test-driving' it extensively in the store, and then wait for the inevitable updates, before deciding to upgrade.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:16 AM   #107
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMAN2952 View Post
I think it's time for you to get a new Mac.
Why? iTunes remains up to date on PCs of that age.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:03 AM   #108
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
I hope this is a better written piece of software, instead of the slow, god-awful piece of bloatware iTunes has become.
This is my only hope. Maybe it's that Apple has intentionally gimped the Windows version to say "see, Windows sucks and can't even run our software", but it is and always has been the worst, most bloated, laggy piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure to run.

If they at least get it so that you don't have to wait 5 seconds after each click for the UI to react, that would be a good start. At this point I don't care what it looks like because it's coded so badly that I dread even firing it up. Even that takes forever to finally respond to your clicks.

And screw you guys who say just by a new PC. I've got a gaming rig that runs everything including AutoCad, 3DVIA, Cinema 4D and Maya. iTunes is the problem here.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:28 AM   #109
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliClifton View Post
hmm random capitalisation, "images mit 1200 pixels" - yep must be yet another non-native translating at a german company
The market for skilled German to English translation is huge in Germany for exactly this reason.

Part of the problem is that so many Germans speak perfectly functional business English, so they think they don't need any help, but little things like random capitalisation and German grammer creep into English texts.

My wife (a native German and fluent English speaker) will never have problems finding people in need of translations

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
This is my only hope. Maybe it's that Apple has intentionally gimped the Windows version to say "see, Windows sucks and can't even run our software", but it is and always has been the worst, most bloated, laggy piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure to run.

If they at least get it so that you don't have to wait 5 seconds after each click for the UI to react, that would be a good start. At this point I don't care what it looks like because it's coded so badly that I dread even firing it up. Even that takes forever to finally respond to your clicks.

And screw you guys who say just by a new PC. I've got a gaming rig that runs everything including AutoCad, 3DVIA, Cinema 4D and Maya. iTunes is the problem here.
I have a high-powered gaming laptop with a quad core processor, 12 GB of RAM and a fast SSD. Windows 8 boots in 10 seconds, iTunes takes longer than that to start. I don't see iTunes' poor performance on Windows as a sign that Windows is bad, just a sign that Apple programmers are either incompetent or so petty and vindictive that they're not willing to put any effort into other platforms. That's not exactly a convincing argument to swtich.
locust76 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:13 AM   #110
johan.k
macrumors regular

iTunes 10 is due now.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:33 AM   #111
Cod3rror
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Why? iTunes remains up to date on PCs of that age.
I wonder if iTunes 11 will support XP. I hope it does.
Cod3rror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:32 AM   #112
nelmat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
What "revolutionary" things have Apple added to iTunes? It's had the same basic features since the start. All they did was change the layout, first for the better, then with no big difference, and then for the worse in version 10. All they really added was Genius (nice but nothing revolutionary) and Ping (piece of @#$%ing @#$%).

----------

Excuse me for not buying a new computer every 5 years even though my old one works perfectly... Still, even if you have new hardware, the newer versions just use up more computer resources and force you to keep updating.

Well,to address your first point. The iTunes store, gapless playback, control and management of iPad, iPhone and iPod. Sound check, iTunes DJ - and that's just off the top of my head.

Don't buy a new computer every five years - but don't expect new software and technologies to be compatible with your older machine. You can't have it both ways.
nelmat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #113
Lvivske
macrumors regular

if you think your software is good enough as-is, and don't see the point in upgrading, and don't want to lose computability.....don't upgrade

problem solved

but for the rest of us, we want the experience to be more refined than what they came up with in 2007
Lvivske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:38 AM   #114
HMI
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by locust76 View Post
The market for skilled German to English translation is huge in Germany for exactly this reason.

Part of the problem is that so many Germans speak perfectly functional business English, so they think they don't need any help, but little things like random capitalisation and German grammer creep into English texts.

My wife (a native German and fluent English speaker) will never have problems finding people in need of translations

----------

I have a high-powered gaming laptop with a quad core processor, 12 GB of RAM and a fast SSD. Windows 8 boots in 10 seconds, iTunes takes longer than that to start. I don't see iTunes' poor performance on Windows as a sign that Windows is bad, just a sign that Apple programmers are either incompetent or so petty and vindictive that they're not willing to put any effort into other platforms. That's not exactly a convincing argument to swtich.
I'm not sure if Apple still does this, but their phone support automation system used to ask if you are using your iDevice with a Mac or pc, and if you answer that you are on a pc, they would basically tell you, "sorry, can't help!," and hang up on you. They only wanted to support their products if you are using them on a Mac.
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:33 AM   #115
sasza
macrumors member

Hope for next wednesday release along with iTunes Match for Scandinavia
sasza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:53 AM   #116
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelmat View Post
Don't buy a new computer every five years - but don't expect new software and technologies to be compatible with your older machine. You can't have it both ways.
Why would the latest iTunes not work with Leopard? There is no technical limitation. My mom's MacBook Pro won't work with her iPhone 5 because it's running Leopard and a slightly outdated iTunes that can't be updated, and nobody feels like updating it to Lion even though it can run it.

Just to gauge the BS level: The latest iTunes works WITH WINDOWS XP SP2.
That was released in 2004. Leopard was released in 2007!
Oh, I also tried changing the system version to 10.8 in the version PLIST file, but that didn't work.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:29 PM   #117
iHacker0390
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMAN2952 View Post
I think it's time for you to get a new Mac.
Wrong. There is nothing wrong with my PowerBook G4 1.5 . I use it daily for my PPC apps, I use my 2008 MB with .7 daily too, but PPC macs will always have a special place in my heart....
iHacker0390 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:30 PM   #118
iCole
macrumors regular

I really miss a function where I can put music, that sits on iTunes Match, on my iPhone, directly from my iMac.
iCole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:21 PM   #119
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

few days? hope they mean monday
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:11 PM   #120
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
few days? hope they mean monday
Tomorrow would work
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:33 PM   #121
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Ah.... More space

But less convenient...

I miss the side bar....

FYI, the pic of "bonus feature" looks "off-centre" is this delibrate?

Could be just Apple's pics..... (Ya, i'll blame Apple, it's eaiser)

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

Last edited by Tech198; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:07 PM   #122
MacDav
Banned

I see...So the Artists themselves are not really being asked. The record labels who represent the Artists are being asked.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:29 PM   #123
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHacker0390 View Post
Wrong. There is nothing wrong with my PowerBook G4 1.5 . I use it daily for my PPC apps, I use my 2008 MB with .7 daily too, but PPC macs will always have a special place in my heart....
It's a G4. Time to move on.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:27 AM   #124
MacDav
Banned

Hope they will lets us consolidate our Apple ID's into just one. I have 3 ID's and it creates a lot of trouble.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:30 PM   #125
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
I am pretty sure that Apple's contracts with content holders allow it to set whatever bit rate it deems appropriate for songs...
Only because Apple got leverage to demand it, in exchange for letting the labels control the price. But even that is within limits. Same with video.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamryan1983 View Post
Hate innovation a little? You can't be revolutionary by staying stationary.
I disagree. When the choice is changing to be changing or leaving something alone, the revolutionary and innovative thing can be doing nothing.
charlituna is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion