Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JI7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
I'm trying to record gameplay of Halo CE universal binary using iShow U HD. I have noticed that all the videos I have recorded so far are quite jittery. The game settings allow me to turn vsync on which I have done so I don't think its a frame rate issue. In any case, the game is not jittery whilst playing it. It is only the output, the video that is. Is this because the mac is having to run the video game software at the same time it is running iShow U to record the screen? Is it simply a matter of too much going on for my 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core processors? If not, what can I do to ensure smooth video playback? Any suggestions would be welcome.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It might be settings.

Remember videos for youtube is 30 fps, so set 30 fps in app and try lock the game to 30 fps if possible.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I hope I'm wrong but I don't think you can do much. I've tried several utilities myself in order to record gameplay, but I find the hard disk speed to be the real bottleneck for the job.

I don't think that a modern cpu would have any problems to encode the video while you play, but the amount of data the disk has to write constantly, is the real reason for the jittering.

Perhaps things would be better if a SSD was used. You could also try and lowering the resolution (or play in windowed mode smaller than the screen) in order to reduce the megabytes per second that need to be written. Locking to 30 fps as suggested above might also help a bit.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
Hey,

I too have been looking for the best solution to record gameplay.

I have used iShowU Pro, ScreenFlow and Mactasia.

My initial thoughts:
- ScreenFlow seems to perform "slightly" better
- The resolution makes a huge difference, for youtube for example, 720p is good enough
- You will never have the same performance between playing while recording and just playing.

Cheers

JI7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will try a few things and if I still have no success then I will be resigned to use them as they are. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.