Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Hello all. I have a question about routers.

I have an airport express (first generation) that I use for Wifi. However, I also have this Netgear router (N300). I bought it with the intentions of hardwiring my Xbox into the Netgear, simply because online gaming could get a little laggy when played wirelessly. However, other people in my house need to use the Wifi. I have tried to set up the Wifi from the Netgear router, and I was successful, but I can't password protect the Network for whatever reason. My question is, how can I set up the airport express into the Netgear router to use it for Wifi? The airport express keeps saying I have a "double nat" and basically yells at me and will not work :p. How can I fix this? Thank you in advance.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Set the Airport Express to extend the existing network - this will turn off DHCP on the AE and let the Netgear handle this. Essentially it will act as an access point only anad not a router. I don't use Apple access points/routers so I'm not sure what terminology they use.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just set the AE to bridge mode in the pane below.

s6GmV.png

nj908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2012
It worked! I was amazed by how simple it was to do it. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.