Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
If Blu-ray is supposed to be the "next big thing" why do movies still get released on both "standard" DVD and Blu-ray? Why do movies have a "combo pack" option?? I have a number of blu-ray movies now and admit they are great quality in picture and sound but if movies companies really want to push blu-ray over other options like the iTunes Store then why would they still offer standard DVDs?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
DVD adoption was slow at first but only required the purchase of a new player in order to get better quality over VHS. Blu-Ray requires the purchase of an HD TV to get any good use of it. There's also the issue of division of people opting to transition to pure digital formats.

Basically, they're still making money with DVDs.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
DVD adoption was slow at first but only required the purchase of a new player in order to get better quality over VHS. Blu-Ray requires the purchase of an HD TV to get any good use of it. There's also the issue of division of people opting to transition to pure digital formats.

Basically, they're still making money with DVDs.

Well yeah there still making money cause they're still producing standard DVDs. But if they really wanted to push HD content wouldn't it make sense to drop support for standard DVDs and go fully with blu-ray? Also yes I understand the debate between those in the blu-ray camp and those in the iTunes Store/online camp. When it comes to movies I'm still "old fashioned" in that I want physical media. I think blu-ray/DVD is still better then downloading it. But that's just me I guess.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Because they'd lose out on those that still had standard televisions, which is still many, many, many, many people.

We used to have a 60" standard TV set. Had it in my room for awhile, amazing. Someone had got rid of it from work and my dad brought it home. If it wasn't the fact that everything looked a bit dark on it, we probably would still have it. But someone else does now, after we sold it at a garage sale (should have been here, lol, we had to put a sign up because the first guy got it, and everyone was going after it).

They're still really nice to have, and they're pretty cheap right now. My current HDTV in my room is only a 16" and cost me a little over $100. Very nice, but probably the smallest TV I've ever had, besides my 5" Sony I had for a year or so. A lot of people can't afford a 32" like we have in our living room, and obviously, it's not a priority for most.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Because as big as TV sales are, most people are still on SD TVs, And DVD sales are still huge.

I have 3 HDTVs in my house, and a very good SD TV ( Sony WEGA Triniton, seriously. The colors blow an LCD out of the water. ) in my bedroom.

And DVDs still look great on all of them.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I own neither a Blu-Ray player, nor an HDTV. (My SD TV was $15 at Goodwill. :p)

As already stated, companies would lose out on a lot of money by dropping DVD's. You ask why they wouldn't want to push the "hi-def" market by doing so, but it's simple; they don't actually care whether or not you buy SD or HD products; so long as they get your money. And at least for now, SD is still a big market.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Plus this way they sell you the DVD first, and BluRay later on. Happened to me some times already. (the new Terminator BluRay is awesome!)

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I think it's to allow media companies to sell what's pretty much the same content at three different price points.

I've got a 3d telly and 3d DVD player but I still pretty much stick to buying plain old DVD's... Why? Last weekend I thought I'd buy a film for us to watch with the kids. Same film - three different prices...

DVD - £8, Blu Ray - £15, 3d - £22.

I nearly always end up buying the DVD as the new telly and DVD player make such a good job of playing standard DVD's (upscaling?) that the extra benefits of the bluray aren't worth double to me and the 3d format at the price is for special occasions only. (If the relative space allocated to the formats at my local shops are anything to go by then lots of others think the same.)

But as they say YMMV.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well yeah there still making money cause they're still producing standard DVDs. But if they really wanted to push HD content wouldn't it make sense to drop support for standard DVDs and go fully with blu-ray? Also yes I understand the debate between those in the blu-ray camp and those in the iTunes Store/online camp. When it comes to movies I'm still "old fashioned" in that I want physical media. I think blu-ray/DVD is still better then downloading it. But that's just me I guess.

The entire world doesn't work like Apple. They're not forcing consumers in their own direction. They're still creating content/media/materials for what is already out there.

To your original post - for most people SD is still perfect, I still buy TV shows on DVD and only the biggest+best films on Bluray.
My order of preference for buying a film is; 3D Bluray, Bluray and DVD combo, Bluray, DVD.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The entire world doesn't work like Apple. They're not forcing consumers in their own direction. They're still creating content/media/materials for what is already out there.

To your original post - for most people SD is still perfect, I still buy TV shows on DVD and only the biggest+best films on Bluray.
My order of preference for buying a film is; 3D Bluray, Bluray and DVD combo, Bluray, DVD.

I agree with your post. It's nice to snatch up some 2-3 GBP movies, while BluRays start at 6-7 minimum. But you forgot the Triple Play combos, which is my favorite, since I don't care for 3D.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree with what has been said in most of the posts here.

Not everyone has HD TV - and many older people, especially, will be slow enough to change formats unless they absolutely have to.

People still use 'standard' DVDs, and many people still have standard TVs, and have not yet switched over to digital.

Having the latest (even if it seems to be the best) in technology is not necessarily a priority for everyone.

Besides, in these economically straitened times, not everyone who may wish to change up to digital actually has the means or can afford to do so.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I am one of those who still have a DVD player from 1998 and I'm using a Sony Trinitron from 1998. They still work and I have no desire for anything else.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

LOL Yeah I know. As much as I love Apple they do seem to push things on people a little too much. .... Any TV series I have are on standard DVDs. I never cared for 3D blu-ray. To me the 3D thing is just a gimmick and I haven't been impressed with it so far. I always try to get the combo pack when I buy new movies. Just so I have both. I do like HDTV but the one thing that does annoy me is that the picture can be too clear. I had to turn down or off some settings to make LOTR look more like a movie and not a reality TV show. LOL

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
HDTV is way overrated. Even if it isn't, who wants the crap out there? Crap in HD is no better--it's actually worse.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I see HDTVs every where--friends house, doctor's offices, but the color variance is so great from one hdtv to the next I don't know what is the "true color."

Sticking with my SD!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
HDTV is way overrated. Even if it isn't, who wants the crap out there? Crap in HD is no better--it's actually worse.
I disagree, just got HD and how the hell did I live without it. Of course it's no 4K but I don't care.:p

I don't understand your it's worse argument.

As for Bluray vs DVD. I agree that it should be a combo disk but I don't think the standards are compatible to allow a combo disk to work with a dvd player.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I disagree, just got HD and how the hell did I live without it. Of course it's no 4K but I don't care.:p

I don't understand your it's worse argument.

As for Bluray vs DVD. I agree that it should be a combo disk but I don't think the standards are compatible to allow a combo disk to work with a dvd player.

Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.